The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 12, 2019, 09:09 PM   #1
Prof Young

Getting new Ruger GP 100

So after researching, I've landed my 357 search on a Ruger GP 100 with the six inch barrel and the six shot capacity. Got a price more than $100 off the MSRP. Should be in soon. Gotta love it.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old June 12, 2019, 09:28 PM   #2
Targa

Nice! That’s the one I want....stainless or blue?
Old June 12, 2019, 09:59 PM   #3
AreYaSerious

The GP100 is a very nice revolver, built like tanks. Good find and price.
Old June 13, 2019, 08:16 AM   #4
mrdaputer

You will love it
Old June 13, 2019, 09:18 AM   #5
Dan-O

The 6 inch and 3 inch .357 gp’s are my favorites.
Old June 13, 2019, 11:46 AM   #6
DavidAGO

You will love it. I bought mine used, had to send it back to Ruger. they worked it over, no charge. It now has a nicer trigger, almost as nice as a well-broken in S&W. but more importantly it is the most accurate revolver I have. And I consider myself a S&W guy.

David
Old June 13, 2019, 01:48 PM   #7
mgulino

Great choice. Picked mine up used in a local pawn shop. Got a good discount because the rear sight was broken. $10 for a new sight and I was back in business.
Old June 13, 2019, 01:59 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

Best thing about the GP is that all the innards are SS. Easy to do a trigger job.
Bought my 4" 35ish years ago when they first came to Canada. Haven't had to do anything but a trigger job.
Old June 13, 2019, 10:35 PM   #9
stormyone

Congratulations. Love the GP100.

I am sooo tempted to get a black SP101. https://www.ruger.com/productImages/15702/detail/1.jpg
But I don’t need it. But it would match my black Talo 3” GP100.
Old June 14, 2019, 10:24 PM   #10
Stargater53

I love the Ruger revolvers, but I'm not very found of the barrel's underlug. I wish Ruger had taken the Security-Six, gave it a little more meat in the forcing come and then left it alone! I'm also a bit unhappy with the balance. The GP-100 is a fine gun, but it's a bit heavy for camping, hiking, hunting and fishing. For range shooting and home defense it's fine. Again, I love the Security-Six; also, the S&W 66. I have two 686s (an -0 version and a -6 Model (both 6-inch)), and several of the Security-Sixes, and the 6-inch models are wonderful. And though I also have some 4-inchers as well, I wish I'd picked up a stainless Service-Six.

For outdoor carry, this is about right, in my
view. The grip can be ground down for a
round butt, something that can't be done
on a GP-100.

For outdoors, I wish the manufacturers would ljust eave off the underlugs. Others may disagree. The one thing I love a about Rugers is that anyone can do action jobs on them. Just rent a couple of cowboy movies end dry fire the daylights out of them! I'd love Ruger to add removable underlugs. That way if you don't have guides to carry your guns in the wilderness, you would be able to lighten the weight.

The S&W 686 (top) and Ruger Security-Six.

The.357 magnum is a perfect outdoors gun. It can take all sorts of critters, including the two-legged variety. Back when the Security-Six was in production, I never once heard anyone complain of recoil or difficulty controlling it in the outdoors. The SP-101 is bit of a lightweight, and the Service-/Security-Six was just about right.
--

Last edited by Stargater53; June 14, 2019 at 10:44 PM.
Old June 14, 2019, 10:34 PM   #11
2ndtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargater53 View Post
I love the Ruger revolvers, but I'm not very found of the barrel's underlug. I wish Ruger had taken the Security-Six, gave it a little more meat in the forcing come and then left it alone! I'm also a bit unhappy with the balance. The GP-100 is a fine gun, but it's a bit heavy for camping, hiking, hunting and fishing. For range shooting and home defense it's fine. Again, I love the Security-Six; also, the S&W 66. I have two 686s (an -0 version and a -6 Model (both 6-inch)), and several of the Security-Sixes, and the 6-inch models are wonderful. And though I also have some 4-inchers as well, I wish I'd picked up a stainless Service-Six.

For outdoors, I wish the manufacturers would ljust eave off the underlugs. Others may disagree. The one thing I love a about Rugers is that anyone can do action jobs on them. Just rent a couple of cowboy movies end dry fire the daylights out of them! I'd love Ruger to add removable underlugs. That way if you don't have guides to carry your guns in the wilderness, you would be able to lighten the weight.

The.357 magnum is a perfect outdoors gun. It can take all sorts of critters, including the two-legged variety. Back when the Security-Six was in production, I never once heard anyone complain of recoil or difficulty controlling it in the outdoors. The SP-101 is bit of a lightweight, and the Service-/Security-Six was just about right.
Maybe you should try to locate one of these:
https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1768.html
Old June 15, 2019, 07:32 AM   #12
Road_Clam

Absolutely love my 6" GP100 357 mag. As others stated I also ended up lightning up the trigger. I found an old thread with some of my GP100 experiences :

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...ighlight=gp100
Old June 15, 2019, 08:37 AM   #13
wild cat mccane

Just bought another 1705 GP100 yesterday too. Still like the 686 better, but this like new 1705 was $399. Done.

Thanks for posting your info on springs. I too got the Wilson/Wolff spring set (swear they are the same) and couldn't remember the number combo to go with.
Old June 15, 2019, 10:50 PM   #14
CommandoX

Good choice Prof. Young. I honestly don't think you'll regret it. Ever.

As others have said, I love mine. Wonderful gun.
Old June 16, 2019, 01:11 AM   #15
Omaha-BeenGlockin

4in stainless here----I didn't really like the gun until I replaced the weird Hogue grip with an old style factory grip AND replaced the front sight with a fiber optic sight.

Now the gun fits my hand and I can see the front sight, its a much better shooter for me and I'm liking it a lot.
-------Metallica
Old June 16, 2019, 06:45 AM   #16
arquebus357

I like the GP100 series revolvers. My only complaint is the little stub that passes for a grip frame. I prefer the Thai solution on the grip design for these. (see photo) Don't know why Hogue pushes your hand back 1/2". Both my GP100's are half lug 4" models. Actually, my blued fixed sight model outshoots this Match Champion. Go figure

Last edited by arquebus357; June 16, 2019 at 06:50 AM.
Old June 16, 2019, 08:11 AM   #17
wild cat mccane

GP100 is advertised as having many options for grips because of its peg.

That's totally wrong.

jaruwan.p on ebay who sells the Thailand grips mentioned above has fewer options for the GP100/SRH than the Taurus 66 or S&W 686. Even the Taurus Judge/compact frame has more options.

There is only one company selling traditional wood target grips (like on the 686, many different variations sold at $40 by jaruwan.p for the 686). Those target grips for the GP100 are $150+. No thanks.

When Ruger or Lett dropped and Ruger went Hogue, only Altamont was the only seller of the Ruger grips that had come on the GP100 for a decade.

The peg and the hump it creates at the top limit the shape sizes available to the GP100. It's either humped or at an extreme angle.

More options my eye.
Old June 16, 2019, 08:22 AM   #18
arquebus357

Yep...and Altamont only makes the old school rubber grips with wood/other inserts. Actually, I find these preferable to the Hogue offerings.
Old June 16, 2019, 11:49 AM   #19
Stargater53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndtimer View Post
Maybe you should try to locate one of these:
https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1768.html
The only models without underlugs are the MATCH CHAMPION models, which come with a hefty price tag. I've got so many .357s as it is, so I'm set. But there are lots of people who don't, and if I were an outdoorsman (and I'm getting a bit long in the tooth to do that anymore), I'd want to carry a good .357. And weight means everything to an outdoorsman. Even knives are selected for their strength and weight. If they're too heavy, they become burdens. If Ruger or S&W could produce a gun like the Ruger SP-101, but with a 5-inch slim barrel and a small, meaty grips, I think it would find a vast market.

The MATCH CHAMPION weighs in at 39 ounces, which is still a bit chunky. The Security-Six is about 36 ounces and the original skinny barrel model was, I think, 34 ounces. That's still two pounds of steel and add 2.5 ounces for ammo. I think with today's technology we can come up with weights that can be added or removed. If I were a hiker, I'd want something light and powerful. I love the SP-101, but wish I'd gotten the longer barrel.

The .357 is a highly underrated caliber, and I think it shines outdoors. The GP-100 is a fine gun, but if I had to choose between it and a Security-Six, I'd take the Security-Six any day.
Old June 16, 2019, 03:23 PM   #20
arquebus357

There are other GP100's without the full underlug. Like this puppy, a model GPF-340 from 1989. This is the one that outshoots my Match Champion.

Old June 16, 2019, 03:44 PM   #21
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
My only complaint is the little stub that passes for a grip frame.
The advantage to the small grip stub is that it allows for a much wider range of grip sizes and shapes without having to modify the actual frame of the gun.

A conventional, full-sized grip frame limits how small grips can be. The GP100/SP101/Super Redhawk grip stub provides tremendous flexibility.
Old June 16, 2019, 04:22 PM   #22
wild cat mccane

See, like that comment above.

It isn't true. It is repeated often.

The 686 has far more grip options than the GP100.
Old June 16, 2019, 04:35 PM   #23
JohnKSa
Staff

I didn't say there are more grip options for the GP100 than for other revolvers, I said that the grip extension design "allows for a much wider range of grip sizes".

That is, if someone were so inclined, they could make a much wider range of grip sizes and shapes for a GP100 than would be possible with a revolver that has a traditional full-sized grip frame.

The fact that the market doesn't seem to have taken full advantage of the design feature is probably due to a number of factors--but the potential is there.
Quote:
GP100 is advertised as having many options for grips because of its peg.
I don't know what you are specifically referring to, but here's what the manual says:

"The unique frame extension permits the use of full wrap-around style grips of any desired configuration."

There's nothing in that statement that claims there are "many options for grips" available on the market, or that there are lots of makers turning out GP100 grips, or that there are more varieties of grips for GP100s than for other makers' revolvers. It only says that the design provides a lot of flexibility.
Old June 16, 2019, 06:04 PM   #24
arquebus357

At least the GP100's grip frame is in good company. Taurus uses the same stub grip frame on some of their revolvers. Way to go Ruger

I don't know who advises the Thai grip makers. There are many more grips available for the S&W N frame than for the K/L frame. For every N frame revolver there are probably 20 K/L frame guns. Don't know why they would bother making grips for Colt Pythons. What Python owner is going to put $40 grips on their gun ? All the nice wood grain seems to be used for Taurus revolver grips. The latest S&W finger groove design from Jaruwan adds about 1" to the length of the grip. ????

Last edited by arquebus357; June 17, 2019 at 07:08 AM.
Old June 17, 2019, 07:41 AM   #25
wild cat mccane

I'm just using the Ebay Thailand fella as an example. I have purchased 3 Taurus wood grips and one 686 grip from him.

EAA Windicator also uses the peg/post. That Taurus uses it on the Judge frame hasn't helped it's options either.

Point is, the traditional wood target grips (round, flat bottom) is only sold in the GP100 by Eagle Grips for 150 or 250 depending on flat vs textured cuts.

Even Ruger's Lett grips (rubber with wood insert) still only has one source that duplicates it, Altamont, and none when Lett grips were dropped or Lett went out of business (mystery still?).

The peg might open options in theory but in the real world the GP100 has far fewer grip options. The GP100 peg options are the current Lett grip which still has a hump, horrible hump (like the factory Hogue gorilla grip), or the fast angle away from the gun stub that looks like a crude pirate grip.

Meh. A buyer can buy more grip options in the S&W line. No one ever says the S&W square or round grips creates the option for more grips.

The 686/586 is an L frame and the GP100 shares the grip of the Super Red Hawk. At both over 30 years old, we can't say the peg has done anything but made fewer options for the GP100 that are dwarfed by the options of the L frame S&W.