The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 7, 2019, 02:27 PM   #1
TxFlyFish

Sig p365 manual safety first range session

Straight to the range from the LGS, no disassembly and using factory lube. 200 rounds umc 115gr with 10round mag.

3 failure to lock back, no other malfunction. Primer drag still exists. No spring contact marks on magazine. Most likely due to me hitting the slide release, thumbs forward riding the safety. Was not able to duplicate using thumb below safety grip.

Safety is very positive and did not accidentally engage. Did not notice any excessive stiffness on the lever, although it takes a deliberate effort to engage. Safety is not protected by frame like the shield. Very easy to disengage, especially for those who shoot 1911. Even though the lever is not very pronounced, grip it like a 1911 and it falls right under your thumb’s joint. You can ride the safety and helps a bit with recoil. The safety did take off skin where the thumb meets the web of the hand, for me at least is a pressure point. You def feel the safety is there if you shoot thumb forward, very similar to 1911 grip. You can rack the slide with safety engaged. You can’t engage the safety if you pull the trigger. (The shield you can engage safety even after you pull trigger)

Just inspected it a bit closer. I believe it’s the very rear end of the safety that’s poking the web/thumb and could be better contoured with the frame.

MEASUREMENTS:

Width measured with ambi: 1.12 (basically right side safety lever, left side lever sticks out as far as slide release and takedown lever)
Width non ambi p365: 1.00

I wouldn’t call the recoil snappy, just the gun is smaller and doesn’t fill the hand. Actually quite pleasant to shoot, some mention torquing during recoil but I didn’t notice any. Locking thumbs and below safety grip is also very controllable.

Sights are great (and functional lol)

Inaccurate guns are boring...but the p365 can definitely hang with the best out there, that includes full size guns.

Lastly 10rd mag was super stiff (loaded all 200rd by hand), very stiff and difficult to drop the slide on empty mag.

That’s it! Call me impressed for this mini range session (well, impressed RELIEVED? partly because of the horror stories)

Last edited by TxFlyFish; June 7, 2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old June 8, 2019, 10:22 AM   #2
davidsog

Quote:
3 failure to lock back, no other malfunction.
Check your grip. Most common cause is limp wristing the pistol and is a shooter induced malfunction.
Old June 8, 2019, 12:15 PM   #3
FITASC

You'll will appreciate using a Uplula for loading those mags, especially the 12 rounders.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 8, 2019, 01:03 PM   #4
TxFlyFish

I have never used any mag loader but on these I will prob end up forking the $30 to buy one. That or I will leave them loaded for a bit and see if they loosen up.

Kinda on the same subject while I don’t think I’m limp wristing. It could be because I’m riding the slide release but that slide release is super stiff on an empty mag. Like two handed to drop slide stiff
Old June 8, 2019, 02:21 PM   #5
davidsog

Quote:
You'll will appreciate using a Uplula for loading those mags, especially the 12 rounders.
I have loaded a lot of mags by hand. Only used loaders during a extremely shooting intensive school on active duty but the P365 is the first pistol I have come across that makes me reconsider the wisdom of saving your thumb.

The last few rounds are a PITA to load.

Quote:
Kinda on the same subject while I don’t think I’m limp wristing. It could be because I’m riding the slide release but that slide release is super stiff on an empty mag. Like two handed to drop slide stiff
Sure, it is easy to do with a smaller pistols. Either way, it is almost always a shooter induced malfunction. Have a friend check your stance. It is easy to let bad habits sneak in and not be aware of it.
Old June 9, 2019, 06:46 AM   #6
OhioGuy

A SAFETY WILL GET YOU KILLED!!!

Sorry, but someone had to say this or it wouldn't be an Internet gun thread, right?

I haven't shot many guns with thumb safeties. Some 1911s, and those seemed easy to operate. I hated the safety on the M&P (not Shield), big wing that I alway seemed to hit accidentally. I never owned either, just rented or tried out.

Glad to hear Sig's is well-executed.
Old June 9, 2019, 11:45 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Are we talking about a SIG P365?

I wish people would stop calling Sigs "Zig." The Turkish firearms manufacturer, Tisas, uses the name "Zig" for many (maybe all) of their models. Every time I see "Zig" I start off thinking that I'm reading about a Tisas firearm, and then midstream somewhere I have to recalibrate.
Old June 11, 2019, 07:19 AM   #8
rodfac

Great report, TxFlyFish, glad it worked out well for you. I've got the non-safety P365 and like it enough that it's my daily carry piece now. I've got right at 1000 rounds through it, JHP's, FMJ's, and handloaded LSWC's with zero malfunctions.

The trigger, while ok/good out of the box, has improved steadily and I'd rate it great now. Mine has the same striker mark on primers that others have noted, but it's not been a problem to date. Like you, I find the sights outstanding. That big green dot is easy to pick up at speed in any light and the night sights work as advertised.

I'm carrying it in an OWB of my own make and find that it's concealable on virtually any shirt worn outside the trousers. Pic below.

Best regards and thx again for a great review. Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; June 11, 2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old June 12, 2019, 06:10 AM   #9
claydoctor

I have the 12 round magazine and I have now tried twice to load it using an Uplula. The best I can do so far is 11 rounds.
Old June 12, 2019, 06:32 AM   #10
TxFlyFish

Beautiful holster, I think I might have to go owb as well! Appendix just didn’t do it for me. About the trigger, I should mention mine has tons of creep and is very coarse and bumpy during the creep. It seems to smoothen out but need more trigger pulls
Old June 12, 2019, 02:22 PM   #11
Mackie244Bud

Failure to Lock Back after the last round with a P365 is usually the thumb riding the Slide Lock.

I did it on my first Range day with my P365.
Thought something was wrong..went to a forum and was told the same thing that I am telling now.

After that I have never had a Failure to Lock Back.
Old June 12, 2019, 03:18 PM   #12
davidsog

Quote:
I should mention mine has tons of creep and is very coarse and bumpy during the creep.
I would have that checked out.
Old June 12, 2019, 03:52 PM   #13
claydoctor

Just picked mine up today. They got 3 of them in. I compared the trigger on two. Both had significant creep. Hope it gets better. On a brighter note, it seems to fit most of my Shield holsters.
Old June 15, 2019, 11:18 AM   #14
dzavoina

I just got in some 15 round magazines that have been released, they seem a bit easier to load but still use my Uplula to save wear and tear on my thumb.
Dave
Old June 16, 2019, 09:23 AM   #15
Carl the Floor Walker

When a group of us tested the 365, riding the slide was a very big potential for anyone with a medium to large hand. The Grip space between the slide was very Narrow. For myself with a size large hand, the gun was not compatible especially with a glove.
A few of us felt the gun shot very similar to the Ruger LC9s.
Personally I would get one with the safety if the gun did fit. Which is what I do for any light striker fired trigger with breaks quickly.
The Sig does have good built quality, good size etc. Just be sure the gun fits your hand before purchase. I came home and compared the Sig receiver to grip distance and my little Pico had considerably more space for the off hand.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; June 16, 2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old June 25, 2019, 01:20 PM   #16
Mackie244Bud

Sig responded to a email asking if the Non Manual Safety P365's could be retrofitted with the Manual Safety Parts and Grip..

This was Sig's response:

Quote:
We have just begun shipping the P365 with a manual safety.
We will be offering a retrofit of the manual safety to existing P365 pistols, but there is currently no availability date or pricing for the service or a parts kit to purchase, so please follow us on social media or watch www.sigsauer.com for announcements.