The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 29, 2019, 07:08 PM   #1
sandman31774

What rings for Ruger Precision Rifle

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I recently got a new Ruger RPR in .308 and plan on mounting a Nightforce shv f1 on it. scope has 30mm tube and 50mm obj. Wondering about what brand rings and what height they should be...thanks!
Old May 30, 2019, 12:12 AM   #2
Scorch

Well, let's see. I usually recommend rings made by scope manufacturers to my customers, just because. Nightforce makes nice rings, if a bit pricey. Leupold and Burris make very solid rings. Vortex makes very good tactical rings. EGW makes good tactical rings. Pretty much take your pick of any of those and you won't be disappointed.
Taylor Machine
Old May 31, 2019, 10:39 AM   #3
zeke

Like the Burris 3 screw aluminum's. Very sturdy and never had to lap them. Plus fairly inexpensive.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...e-package-of-2
Old May 31, 2019, 12:07 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

The brand doesn't make much difference. Any brand name rings will do.
The height will be mostly about you as the stock of the Ruger is adjustable in every direction.
"...tactical rings..." Geezuz. Black with Velcro defines 'tactical'.
Old May 31, 2019, 03:07 PM   #5
Capt Rick Hiott

I only buy DNZ scope rings.

https://www.dnzproducts.com/product/game-reaper-ruger/
Old May 31, 2019, 03:26 PM   #6
Doyle

I've got rings by Burris, Leupold, DNZ and probably a few others. They all hold good. As far as height, that 50mm lense is probably going to need tall rings (maybe even extra tall).
Old May 31, 2019, 09:14 PM   #7
dwwhite

Depends on your budget and an HONEST assessment of your potential usage...

For a range/hunting gun, you can’t do much better than Burris Zee rings with the plastic inserts. They’ll align themselves to your scope and won’t mar the tube. For $50 there is NO better bargain. If I’m not mistaken, these are used by a lot of sling shooters in the optical sights class. Those guys wouldn’t use them if they didn’t work, but they are not especially hard on equipment.

For heavier usage, like if you’ll ever shoot a PRS match or if the rifle is going to ride around in the back seat of your truck, you won’t go wrong with the NF rings, or for about the same money, try a pair from American Rifle Co. I’ve got a set of the ARC’s on my tube gun and they’re awesome. I got mine for half price years ago, but either of these will set you back around $150-$180.
That’s high, until you consider you’re using them to mate a thousand dollar precision mechanical instrument with a thousand dollar precision optical instrument.

Now if you want to get into the vertical part of the price x quality curve, drop $500 on a Sphur mount and forget all the rest. A little spendy for me, but they say once you buy one, you’ll never go back.

Last edited by dwwhite; May 31, 2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:05 PM   #8
Quick1

My go to rings are made by Seekins. They also make the rings for Vortex, but they are the same rings and I can usually find the Seekins version cheaper. They are pricey, but rock solid. They come all the heights you will need to get your new scope to fit.
Old June 1, 2019, 07:26 AM   #9
Bfglowkey

Medium height rings of whichever name brand you decide on. You might get away with low if it’s a gen 2 or 3 but the slight extra height will not be that difficult to overcome and it assures clearance. I have a similar set up and I have the Cortex rings with the NF SHV 1 w/ 56 mm objective lens and I have just enough clearance
Old June 1, 2019, 09:57 AM   #10
Don Fischer

Buy ring's made for your rifle that you like the looks of and can afford. Your just mounting a scope on a rifle, it's surely not rocket science!
Old June 26, 2019, 12:06 PM   #11
Bulwyf

I put Seekins on my RPR, I really like them.
Old June 26, 2019, 03:23 PM   #12
F. Guffey

I have rings and bases, I have lots of both, and then I have tools for mounting bases for scopes. And then I wound up with a Ruger and it came with Ruger mounts that did not require a mount and now I am wondering if the Ruger rifle no longer comes with Ruger mounts

F. Guffey
Old June 26, 2019, 06:01 PM   #13
Rimfire5

+1 for Burris Signature ZEE rings with the plasitic inserts.

I have 4 NightForce Benchrest 8-32x56 scopes and I don't want those expensive scopes marred by rings without those plastic inserts.

All four of the rifles with the NightForce scopes shoot lights out, so the rings don't cause any problems.

As for ring height, I depends upon the mount you have on the rifle and the amount of drop to the stock. If your Ruger Precision Rifle has a tactical rear stock with a straight stock line, you might want to look at high or x-high rings. For a stock with a non-tactical drop, you might get away with med-high to high rings with a 50mm front optic.
Old June 27, 2019, 01:30 AM   #14
gshayd

Seekins in a high height with that 50 objective.
Old June 28, 2019, 06:44 AM   #15
Adventurer 2

I own a 5.56 RPR - three visits to the gun store to end up with Warne Extra Tall rings.
Old June 29, 2019, 01:40 PM   #16
BigBL87

I've used Burris Sig Zee's and Warne's and have been happy with both.