The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 27, 2019, 09:53 AM   #1
PACraftsman

Finding a new assembled bolt action 223 Wylde

I’m looking for a new, assembled bolt action 223 with a varmint or light varmint barrel. Are these made or do I have to have one built?

Last edited by PACraftsman; May 27, 2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old May 27, 2019, 10:16 AM   #2
CarJunkieLS1

Light varmint barrel??? Varmint usually means a heavy contour bull barrel. If you want a lightweight or a "pencil" barrel bolt action a Remington Model 7 may be what you are looking for.
Old May 27, 2019, 10:45 AM   #3
PACraftsman

Everyone seems to have two varmint barrel profiles, one heavier than the other. For now, I’m choosing to go with the lighter of the two.
Old May 27, 2019, 04:23 PM   #4
taylorce1

I don't know why having a Wylde chamber is important, given the choice I'd rather have a .223 only chamber. I'm guessing you're wanting an accurate rifle, and I've never found the really cheap 5.56 ammunition extremely accurate in my AR rifles. If I want accurate ammunition I usually have to pay a little more for it or reload it myself.

The easiest way to get what you want is to buy a CZ 527 or Tikka T3x Varmint in .223, since it is built to CIP (European Standards) and not SAAMI (NA Standards) specifications it is capable of firing both cartridges without any issues. If you just have to have a Wylde chamber you need to take the rifle to a gunsmith that has the reamer and have said gunsmith chamber your rifle in .223 Wylde. However, if it was my choice I'd just buy a .223 Rem and buy .223 Rem ammunition and go to the range and enjoy.

Last edited by taylorce1; May 29, 2019 at 09:50 AM. Reason: CZ 527 not 550
Old May 28, 2019, 03:24 PM   #5
Scorch

Wylde chambers are pretty much an AR thing, but I have re-cut several chambers in bolt actions for Wylde chambers. If you want it that way, you'll have to have the chamber re-cut.

Tikkas are nice, and shoot very well, but can be temperamental. CZ 527s are OK except for that magazine that sticks out the bottom right where your hand wants to go when carrying. Older Interarms Mini-Mausers shoot very well, and don't have that magazine sticking out at the balance point. Howa makes the 1500 in 223. Remington makes the 700 in 223. Don't forget the Remington Model 7. I have one in 223 and it is a shooter. With the standard Remington Sporter barrel weight, a 223 is pretty much a "light varmint weight" rifle due to the small bore in the standard weight barrel.
Taylor Machine
Old May 29, 2019, 06:43 AM   #6
Mobuck

I'm pretty sure I've seen aftermarket 223 Wylde chambered barrels for Savage 110 actions.

Tags
223 wylde