The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 4, 2019, 12:15 PM   #26
FITASC

Quote:
Interesting that any set of barrels will fit any frame with no fitting required.
Interestingly enough, modern Blaser shotgun barrels will interchange and "drop in" with no additional fitting required.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 4, 2019, 02:26 PM   #27
Jim Watson

Yes, but they cost a lot more.
Old June 5, 2019, 01:10 PM   #28
maagister

Quote:
Unusual that they charge extra for double triggers, is that what you want? I don't know of anything around here that something off their caliber list would not handle.
Honestly, I'm not sure. Probably have to shoot both to decide. To me, "double rifle" means Africa, which means .375 H&H at a minimum. Didn't see anything that large in their list.

Quote:
I have a Valmet 412, 12 gauge 3" over .223 Rem for coyote calling. Great gun!
Quote:
The Valmets and their Tikka cousins are vastly under-rated, IMO
Good to hear from someone with actual experience! That makes me a lot more confident about the gun. I'll watch out for one on gunbroker. It's not a huge need, but an O/U shotgun/double rifle/elk/grouse gun would be nice. And my wife hunts in Germany, so it might be a good fit for her.

Thanks for all the replies!
Old June 5, 2019, 05:47 PM   #29
Jim Watson

Quote:
To me, "double rifle" means Africa, which means .375 H&H at a minimum. Didn't see anything that large in their list.
See post no. 27
Old June 6, 2019, 07:26 PM   #30
Scorch

Quote:
Combo gun that also supports two rifle or two shotgun barrels?
Does such a beast exist?
Of course they exist. People who live in countries where it is difficult to obtain permits to own more than one or two firearms used to favor combination guns because the permits denote a firearm as the receiver, not the barrels. You don't see very many of them because they are heavy, expensive, and typically must be special ordered. One of my customers sent me a Beretta 3-barrel set (20 ga O/U, 30-06 O/U, and 20 ga over 30-06) for stock work. The firearm cost almost as much as my Toyota 4Runner cost. Each barrel set must be fabricated, ranged and calibrated, fit to the receiver, fit to forearm wood and metal, and finished. At about $8000 per barrel set, it can add up kinda fast.

I know, next question is "why do they have to be so expensive?".
Taylor Machine