The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2018, 06:40 PM   #1
Mike38

.32 S&W in a .32 S&W Long?

I saw on the internet (somewhere) that a guy loaded 90 grain hollow points in a .32 S&W cartridge, and shot it successfully in a pistol (semi auto) chambered for .32 S&W Long. I have a semi-auto target pistol (Benelli MP95)chambered in .32 Wadcutter. The over all length for .32 wadcutter ammo is .920. The over all length for .32 S&W with round nose bullets is .920. So my question is, has anyone tried this? Results?
Old January 16, 2018, 07:07 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

In a locked-breech system, it's perfectly safe and sane.
In the semi-auto - I'm not familiar with the MP95, so I'm assuming it's blow-back - I would have to consider what the pistol is timed for and what pressure each load is running at.
Old January 16, 2018, 07:20 PM   #3
ligonierbill

According to QuickLoad, the pressure standard for the 32 Long wadcutter loads intended for semi-auto target pistols is 1,550 bar (CIP). The 32 S&W is only 900. I wonder if they would cycle your action.
Old January 16, 2018, 07:55 PM   #4
FITASC

semi-auto 32 SWL? Are you talking an Olympic pistol like a Hammerli? Or did you mean a 32ACP?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 16, 2018, 07:56 PM   #5
Mike38

Quote:
According to QuickLoad, the pressure standard for the 32 Long wadcutter loads intended for semi-auto target pistols is 1,550 bar (CIP). The 32 S&W is only 900. I wonder if they would cycle your action.
Interesting, this may change things a bit. Currently I'm using 1.5 grains of Titegroup powder and 98 grain HBLWC bullets. Listed start load for this powder is 1.8 grains, max load 2.0 grains. Being that I'm getting perfect feed and extraction with 25% less powder than listed, maybe I can get away with the tiny charge of the .32 S&W? Then again, maybe not.

The reason I'm trying this is to find an accurate "bunny fart" load for Precision Pistol. If my plans are impossible, that's okay. The recoil of my current loading is only a touch more than a .22LR. I compete with a guy that has a .32acp target pistol. It has lower recoil / muzzle jump than a .22LR. Trying to copy that with my S&W Long may be impossible.
Old January 16, 2018, 08:00 PM   #6
Mike38

Quote:
semi-auto 32 SWL? Are you talking an Olympic pistol like a Hammerli? Or did you mean a 32ACP?
.32 S&W Long is correct. Yes, it's an Olympic style pistol, but not quite as good as the Hammerli, Pardini or Walther sport pistols. More an intermediate level pistol.