The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 9, 2005, 07:58 PM   #1
mmunns

Anybody heard of Rota over and unders?

I have a Rota over and under that I'd like to know a little more about. I found an old post 1999 and 2000 (I think) regarding the same model as mine (Rota model 83, 12 ga), but it had the same questions. It has proof stamps from italy (four stars each with circles around them, FINITO under one of the stars, PSF under another, some sybal I haven't made out yet under another), it also has AN with a square around the letters, and RL with a circle around it.
On one side of the barrel is says:
ACCIAIO VICKERS
CANNE CROMATE

aNY HELPFUL INFORMATION WOULD BE APPRECIATED
Old June 10, 2005, 12:15 AM   #2
sdkidaho

I found this guys name associated with shotguns:

ROTA, LUCIANO
Importer - please refer to Tristar listing.
Factory - R.F.M. di Rota Luciano
via Patrioti, 26
I-25068 Noboli di Sarezzo
V.T. (Brescia) ITALY
Fax No.: 011-49-30-801152

Also found some SxS on this page under the "Italian" section:
http://www.tristarsportingarms.com/sidebysides.htm

But nothing on O/U's by Rota.
Old January 25, 2007, 02:55 PM   #3
chukar

Acciaio Vickers

I realize I'm replying to an old post here and I hope the originator is still around as I have a similar gun and am trying to find info about it. My dad gave me an over/under 12 gauge for shooting clays a couple years ago and I'd like to learn more about the gun.

Left:
Navy Arms Co Ridgefield, NJ
Made in Italy

Right:
Acciaio Vickers
Canne Cromate

Top Barrel (left): CAM 76 "star" 18 4

Bottom Barrel (left): KG1 460 "star star star" 18 4
Old January 25, 2007, 11:22 PM   #4
bergie

Dug up an oldy!

Finally a new guy that figured out how to use the search function.

Sorry, I can't tell you who made your shotgun, but I can give you some general information.

Navy Arms is an importer that has mainly dealt in replica arms, and kind of claims to have started the whole cowboy shooting thing.

The markings on your shotgun would translate to:

CAM 76 = 76 mm chamber = 3" chamber

the "star" and "star star star" or "*", "***" would be the choke markings, most likely indicating full * and improved cylinder *** .

The 18 4 would be the bore diameter, 18.4 mm = 0.7244". Most manufacturers are in the mid to upper 0.72_ range. There is some variation here as well as in choke diameter, nobody makes them quite the same (any gauges or charts that say a diameter of .xxx is a ___ choke are generalizations, or strictly for one brand). Choke is a function of the amount of constriction of the muzzle relative to the actual bore diameter. With manufacturers today embracing overboring, backboring, triboring, etc. the variation in bore and choke dimensions is probably wider now than ever.

I think the line you listed as "KG1 460" is some type of proof stamping for the amount of pressure the barrels are rated at, but I am not sure that you got it right. If that is KG 1460 meaning 1460 kilograms per sq. cm., it would be at over 20,700 psi , which sounds right, most 12 guage loads are around 10,000 psi.with some heavy loads around 12,000. I'm not real up on Italian proof stamping.

"Acciaio Vickers" is Vickers Steel.
"Cannes Cromate" literally translates as chromate canes, or as we would say chromed barrels.
Vickers once was one of the greatest companies in the world. Started in 1826 as a simple foundry, they grew from casting church bells to aerospace manufacturing and everything in between. They made the first submarine for the Royal Navy, planes, trains, and automobiles, tools, arms, electronics etc. The British government started to nationalize industries in the 50's and 60's. Parts of the company were stripped off, but I think Vickers Steel hung in till the mid 80's before being absorbed into British Steel, and the only part of this once great company still using the name Vickers is a division of Eaton Hydraulics.

hope I didn't bore you too much,

bergie
Old November 16, 2008, 10:54 AM   #5
richmond23

need more info

My father has a ACCIAIO-VICKERS-CANNE-CROMATE MADE IN ITALY over an under double trigger. On the left side of the barrel it reads CAM 76 star 18.3 and under that it reads KGI 510 star star star 18.3. The engravings are a dog, a duck, and a pheasant and it is silver plated. I was wondering if it is worth anything and what make it is.
Old January 14, 2018, 06:17 PM   #6
fallsflyer

Luciano Rota model #83

I have a Luciano Rota model 83, I am able to find the fore end stock but the butt stock is not available. Does anyone have a lead on where I might be able to find one? Numrich has the forend, the butt is out of stock. The gun was imported through Navy Arms and some say even New England Arms.
I am wondering it the Tristar O/U might fit it! Does anyone know of a cross over that might get it close and then I can tool it to fit?
Old February 10, 2018, 04:18 PM   #7
Romulus

Luciano Rota is now RFM Armi. Check this link, you might be able to get a stock from them, unless they have restrictions on sending non-receiver parts overseas. Best of luck.

http://www.rfmarmi.it/index.php?idl=2

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano