The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 31, 2018, 05:35 PM   #1
Runs With Fire

My winter project, a new stock.

I'm getting ready to oil up my guns. Sitting here looking at them, I am confronted with the age old dilema of married men, the uncompleted project. I have two mosins, a 91/30 and a chinese carbine. Now, me and most of my buddies bought mosins when they were bout a hundred bucks. One buddies stock cracked, may have been cracked already. I gave him my 9130 stock and bought the archangel aftermarket. It was clumsy on my 9130 but worked realy well on the carbine. So then what the heck, I put the Chinese stock on the 9130 and only took the altered carbine to the range. Originally, I was going to make a new wood stock for the 9130 out of some hawthorn I was curring. Never got to it. I'm going to finally do it this winter. I want to build a nice, hefty wood stock. I want it heavy to negate recoil.
So then, what are the main concerns with building a stock? How do I build a stock that will benefet accuracy? What wood is recomended?
Old September 3, 2018, 12:20 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Make sure you have a tight fit between the wood and the recoil lug. Seal the wood inside and out.