The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 30, 2009, 10:11 PM   #1
lara

cut a pellet?

Has anyone out there ever cut a pyrodex pellet in half or thirds?I'm just wondering if it would be possible without igniting the pellet.Just tinkering mentally....
Old October 30, 2009, 10:28 PM   #2
mykeal

Cutting it will not ignite it. You need 700 degrees of hot gasses or sparks to ignite it.

However, I'd be surprised if it held together after cutting.
Old October 31, 2009, 06:33 AM   #3
simonkenton

Chinese scientists have figured a solution for you, eight hundred years ago.

Loose gunpowder.
Old October 31, 2009, 07:47 AM   #4
shortwave

, thanks simon. I needed that this morning.
Old October 31, 2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Hafoc

(snerk) You know, Simon, what you said had me visualizing some guy crushing up his Pyrodex pellets to make a loose powder, and then going out to try to patent this wonderful new invention. And with some black powder shooters only using the ultra-modern inline stuff with pellets and sabots, and then only because it gives them another deer season-- not because of any interest in black powder or historical arms as such-- I bet it could happen.
Old November 2, 2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Wild Bill Bucks

lara,

trying to adjust a pellet by cutting it won't give you any idea about what your actually shooting, since the pellets are 50 grain equivalents, and not really 50 grains by volume. Check your pellets on a weight scale, and you will see the terrible difference in them. Loose powder is the only way to make adjustments in the loads that will be accurate.

If you want to play with pellets you can by pellets in the 30 grain loads and add one with a 50 grain pellet, to get 80 grains, and so forth.
Old November 3, 2009, 12:27 AM   #7
arcticap

Pyrodex pellets have a coating of black powder on one side to help them ignite. The pellet might not explode due to a simple spark but it could still be hazardous.
Maybe one shouldn't cut a pellet on a surface that sparks and wear eye protection due to flying particles.
Old November 3, 2009, 09:00 AM   #8
lara

Thanks Simon.I live about 35 miles from the nearest store that might have 30's(I doubt it)and I understand you have to pay a hazardous fee for shipping if you buy online.One of my former jobs was one of two techs working in Redfield Scopes R & D division(new products)in Denver because I have tool and die experience.I think I could cut a 50 pellet in half (I have some of those)safely.I was just wanting to know if anyone had tried it.The chinese weren't known for shooting deer and I'd like to try something a little different.