The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 1, 2008, 11:07 AM   #1
SpiritWalker

Multi-caliber Suppressors?

I've seen mentioned from time to time, suppressors designed for larger calibers being used on .223/5.56mm rifles. I'm curious if that is a common practice and how effective it is. Can someone use a 7.62mm suppressor on a .223 and not need hearing protection?
Old April 1, 2008, 07:35 PM   #2
VUPDblue

Quote:
Can someone use a 7.62mm suppressor on a .223 and not need hearing protection?
No.

I don't personally think that it is safe to shoot without protection when shooting any full-power centerfire suppressed. That being said, I do it almost exclusively If you shoot 5.56 through a 7.62 can it will be LOUD. Not quite as loud as if unsuppressed, but loud none the less.
Old April 1, 2008, 08:56 PM   #3
SpiritWalker

Thanks, that's what I suspected but thought it better to ask those who have actually tried it.
Old April 3, 2008, 01:33 AM   #4
David Hineline

Totally wrong

I shoot a .308 AAC Cyclone on a 11.5" M16 over a .223 silencer because as a left handed shooter the greater volume of the .308 silencer and bore diameter reduce the amount of blow-back into my face from the ejection port.

The Cyclone due to it's larger volume is quieter than the smaller .223 silencer.

Now if given the exact same volume silencer then the oversized bore would cause less sound reduction.
Old April 3, 2008, 09:31 AM   #5
VUPDblue

I have been very disappointed with my Omega .30 on my AR's. I bought it thinking the same thing as the OP, but I use it only on my bolt action .308 now because the level of performance on the .223 is not worth doing.