The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2001, 11:24 PM   #1
Cheapo

Mentioned the existence of this load in another thread a month or four ago.

WARNING!! All the standard warnings, PLUS:

This load results in very low loading density. Double charges will easily fit into the case. Behave accordingly!

Reported in the June 1998 issue of Shooting Sports USA. Summary below is in my words.

In 1997, the Marine Corps succeeded in finding a load which would meet or exceed the best results of a certain commercial "Match" load, but with greater consistency. Some lots of the commercial load would shoot 50-yard groups fully twice the size as the best lots.

Developed by Al Dorman, 2670-class Bullseye shooter and former National Civilian and .45 Caliber Conventional Pistol Champion. Accuracy and reliability confirmed by extensive experimentation in 1997, at the hands of G'y Sgt. Dan Lawless, USMC Pistol Team, Quantico, VA.

Winchester brass
WLP Primers
4.1 gr. V-V N310
Nosler 185-gr JHP
OAL 1.20"

Recommended spring rate: 14 lbs.; 12 for small-framed or light-grip shooters.

Suitable with Federal Match cases as well.

Accuracy note: Dorman reported measurable and consistent decreases in accuracy when the brass was reloaded vs. virgin (he was rich enough to start with new primed brass). The Marines had better reloading results.

Lawless experimented with 37 different combinations of components, charge weights and seating depths.

Velocity ranges from 770 to 830 fps, with the higher velocities coming from tighter match barrels.

Reliability note: some match pistol breechfaces may be tight enough to reduce reliability with W-W brass--the rim diameter is a bit less than for Federal brass.

Accuracy norm for fully match-tuned .45 Gov't models: 1 inch (that's not a typo) at 50 yards, machine rest. If a gun wouldn't shoot 1-5/8 inch at 50 yards, they would overhaul it!

If anyone has used this load, please post your results.
Old June 6, 2001, 07:10 AM   #2
Matt VDW

I've used a similar load:

Nosler 185gr JHP over 5.4gr Win231, Winchester large pistol primer, PMC brass. This load shoots extremely well out of my Rock River Arms bullseye pistol, though I've never had the opportunity to test it in a Ransom Rest.

I've also used VV N310, Bullseye, and Titegroup with the Nosler bullet and I'll probably try Vectan BA10 as well. Because the Noslers cost about three times as much as the Star swaged lead bullets with only a small increase in accuracy, I don't use them more than a few times a year. Also, the hole made by the Noslers isn't as clean as that made by a SWC bullet and so getting targets scored correctly can be a hassle.

Some bullseye shooters have reported that their pistols simply don't shoot well with the "Marine load". The Marines can afford to rework such pistols but for a private individual it's easier to find a different load.
Old June 6, 2001, 08:34 AM   #3
Master Blaster

3.9-4.0 grains of bullseye 200 lswc.

This is the classic accuracy load. NRA bullseye competitors use this load, many have been shooting 40+years and have tried other powder bullet combinations but this is the best.