The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 5, 2017, 10:40 AM   #1
jaysouth

Experience with Nikon warranties?

The title says it all. I am looking at a Monarch for a hunting rifle.

How good is their warranty and customer service?
Old February 5, 2017, 03:15 PM   #2
olddav

Even though I own two Nikon scopes I have never had to use their warranty. Oh ya, I also have owned three of their cameras and I don't know how many lens and again I have never had to use their warranty on any of their products. Not what your looking for but a testimony regarding my experiences over the last thirty years.
Old February 6, 2017, 02:48 AM   #3
oldandslow

js,

Unfortunately I have had contact with Nikon customer service regarding warranty issues and it was a disaster.

I bought one of their mid-range binos ( the ATB's) for about $230 about four years ago. After one year the entire rubber "armor" coating had flaked off while sitting in my storage room in my house. I sent it back for their "warranty" and they notified me that only the optics inside the bino body was covered and that I had to pay for the bino's rubber covering falling off. I paid up and they shipped me another set of ATB binos where the right sided objective lens had a gooey substance smeared on the inside causing blurring in the right side visual field. Over the next year the rubber coating again flaked off leaving bare metal. So when I want to use them I close my right eye and just look through the "good" left side. I thought about sending them back again but since I think I had to pay shipping both ways and pay for the repair I will just use it the way it is until I can buy a Leupold or Vortex set.

It was a lot of money to pay to what supposedly is a quality company for two defective pairs of binoculars.

good luck with Nikon- oldandslow
Old February 6, 2017, 08:58 AM   #4
geetarman

Hate to hear that about the bimbos. I have several Nikon scopes and have never had an issue with them. I bought a 7x50 Nikon binocular in 1970 or so. I have never had a problem with them and they are as bright and clear as they were when I bought them. The sharpness and clarity of those binoculars rival any I have used since that time. Most binoculars today cannot be adjusted to fit me today. The inter-pupilarity adjustment is too narrow and they cannot be spread far enough to be comfortable. This is true for some high buck binoculars. I think I gave $200 or so for mine. It was money well spent.

Carpe Cerveza