The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 31, 2017, 04:07 PM   #1
REVOLVERfan

thinking about getting an in line rifle for hunting and have some questions

Me and my dad are thinking about getting into muzzle loading and need some input on what to get.

I was kind of looking at the tc impact and the tc pro hunter fx..is the higher price worth it to get the pro hunter? Would you suggest a cva over a tc?

Also would you suggest getting one without the scope combo? Ive always been a fan of leupold /Nikon so I usually try to use them when I can.

Any help would be appreciated
Old January 31, 2017, 05:18 PM   #2
scottycoyote

i got a prohunter a couple years ago and its a heck of a nice rifle, very accurate, easy to break down, will handle 150grain loads if you want that. It also has the added benefit that it will accepts other barrels and cover all your hunting needs in one gun if you like. I have a 22lr match barrel and a 7mm08 barrel....used to have a turkey barrel too. I really like mine, and think its worth the money but most of your reputable companies make pretty nice inline rifles these days so its probably hard to go wrong whatever you choose.
Old January 31, 2017, 09:06 PM   #3
REVOLVERfan

Thanks for the info didnt even know you could switch barrels on that model. I think I'm leaning toward the cva Acura v2

This is the one I'm thinking

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoot...Tz_stype%3DGNU

Also quick question, should i use a specific type of scope? I see Leupold has the ultimateslam and Nikon has the inline model, but would it be ok to use the Leupold vx1 on it?
Old February 1, 2017, 01:15 PM   #4
noelf2

A few years back I went with the Impact. I put leupold rings and a leupold VX-1 scope on it. Very good setup. Very accurate with two 777 pellets and shockwave or hornady polymer tipped sabot bullets.
Old February 1, 2017, 01:42 PM   #5
scottycoyote

i know some of the scopes come in an "inline model"....but id just use whatever scope you like. You probably wont be shooting beyond 200 yards so you dont need that much of a scope, a nice nikon 3x9 can be had reasonable and those are hard to beat for the money
Old February 2, 2017, 11:38 AM   #6
Pahoo

Lots of great choices.

I have lived long enough to see the evolution of MM/L's (in-lines). This has gone from open-breech to closed breech. The same goes for projectiles. Obviously, you and your father will buy the same make and model. There are many choices. The latest one I reviewed as the TC-Impact and you can usually pick one up for about $250.00. I have also shot some of the CVA's and Ihave no issues with them. As far as a scope, I prefer the longer eye relief and you also have RedDot types optics as ab option. Kind of depends on the distance you are shooting and wanting the advantage of "some" magnification.. ...

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old February 2, 2017, 02:51 PM   #7
ufg8r93

Pro Hunter FX

Be careful here - the FX has a fixed barrel and will not interchange like the XT.

I have an Omega with an aftermarket laminate stock (Boyd's) and it's a great shooter with three 50g 777 pellets and a 250g Hornady Lock-n-Load SSTs. The sabot with the little pigtail thingy. Thought it was hokey til I tried one. Now it's all I use. It does kick pretty good with 150g of 777. I love the simplicity of the 777 50g pellets.

Note that MLs are a pain. Really need to clean every other shot or so. Get a good one piece rod and use the pre-moistened patches and that helps a lot.

YMMV
Old February 2, 2017, 08:26 PM   #8
TB9

I got a CVA staghorn 209 magnum back in the spring of 2001 and I put 2.5 X BANTAM SCOPE and use 2 50gr. pyrodex pellets and a 295 gr. power belt bullet . this has been a real great muzzle loader for me 16 seasons and I'm looking forward to number 17 . buy a rifle from one of the recognized companies and you cant go wrong .
Old February 2, 2017, 11:42 PM   #9
REVOLVERfan

Appreciate the responses guys , think im going to go with the cva accura v2 and the Nikon camo inline 3-9x40 scope...I see a lot of varying reviews about using powder and pellets ,also do you guys like the 777 or white hot pellets.. what do you guys suggest? also I know this will sound like a complete newbie question, but where do you find how much powder or pellets to use? is it different with different bullets ?
Old February 3, 2017, 12:09 PM   #10
Pahoo

Finding the sweat spot

Quote:
I see a lot of varying reviews about using powder and pellets
I to see them as opinions or options. You will have to work the shot-string for yourself. You listed 777 and White-hots. Another option, is Blackhorn-209 and I have been hearing some good reports on it. I prefer loose powder as I can fine tune my shot-string and easier for me to work with but pellets would be fine but more expensive and they have their share of problems. ....

As for your loading data, this will be listed, in your manuals. Max is probably 150grns. that you really won't need. The general rule of thumb is that the min load is the caliber and the max is 2X the caliber. My optimum target load, is in the 70's and hunting, in the 90's. Again, you have to work this out. .....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; February 3, 2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old February 3, 2017, 01:14 PM   #11
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
tc impact and the tc pro hunter fx..is the higher price worth it to get the pro hunter? Would you suggest a cva over a tc?

Also would you suggest getting one without the scope combo?
Shoulder them all. You will find many don't shoulder well irregardless of there pricing. The Pro Hunter never shouldered well on me. The only T/C inline that did was the Omega. But the CVA Optima was again another inline that came up easy with a conventional stock and had clear line of sight down its barrel. And that is a Tip> you should look for in any long gun purchase. i.e. How easy to line up barrel sights. (snap shooting/aiming is a must try)
As to preferring one over the other. Any Bergara Barreled CVA has a reputation of being extremely accurate. T/C they've been a leader in the B/P gun world and know what a fellow needs for his shooting requirements. I've never been drawn to want a Traditions. But that only applies to me. You OP on the other hand may feel differently.

As far as a scope install State Hunting Regulations dictate whether or not there legal to use when Big Game Hunting. Here in this State they are not legal for deer & bear hunting. Unless your 65 yrs or older. The old geezers get to hunt with scopes on their inlines.
Old February 3, 2017, 01:21 PM   #12
scottycoyote

i like blackhorn 209 too.......like Pahoo said you just have to work up your load but i prefer the loose powder as it gives you more options. My favorite load is a 200gr shockwave sabot pushed by 110g of blackhorn. I sight in 2 inches high at 50 yards, which puts me 4 high at 100 and 6 low at 200yds. I worked that load up to 150g of powder and it did nothing for accuracy or my shoulder lol....i think most of your loads will be in the 90 to 120 range.
Old February 4, 2017, 03:07 AM   #13
dr1445

check the eye relief on the scope you are interested in. i find i need about a 4" eye relief on a mz.
Old February 4, 2017, 03:31 PM   #14
TB9

you know CVA still makes a version of the staghorn its as simple easy to maintain and accurate as you could want. the price is pretty nice also. particularly if need an open action.