The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 6, 2017, 08:02 PM   #26
DMK

No, I don't own a 380 gun. But think about it. The 380 case is 2mm shorter than 9mm (9x17 vs 9x19). The cartridges both headspace on the case mouth. The firing pin in a 9mm gun will likely not hit the switch reliably if at all.

I would like to see someone test it though.
Old February 9, 2017, 04:25 PM   #27
TailGator

Besides the .380 being 2 mm shorter, there is also a slight taper to the case of the 9 mm. I seriously doubt it would work, unless it was sized just right for the .380 cartridge to catch on the extractor of the 9 mm pistol. That could happen, I suppose, if you were really lucky about the relative dimensions of the chamber and the laser cartridge. My luck isn't that good, but maybe yours is.
Old February 10, 2017, 10:03 AM   #28
Joshwyle

380 laser fit 9mm

My luck is never that good thats why i was hoping someone with the 380 laser would try it in their 9mm to see. And if it did work then id by 380 training laser but since i want it more for my 9mm i guess thats the caliber im gonna buy. Just hoping to kill 2 birds 1 stone
Old February 16, 2017, 11:01 PM   #29
jmf552

Laserlyte has three different versions, the rail mount, the trainer cartridge and the LT-Pre. The LT-Pre specs says: "The LT-PRE also fits nearly any revolver or semi-auto chambered in all of the most popular calibers: .380 ACP, 9mm, .38 Sp., .357 Mag., .357 SIG, .40 S&W, 10mm, .45 LC, .45 ACP, or .50 AE. That's because instead of going into the chamber, it goes in the end of the barrel and it has an expanding bushing adaptor that can be adjusted for barrel width. Rather than being activated by the firing pin It is activated by the sound of the hammer or striker hitting. It does stick out of the end of the barrel a bit, but it seems like a nice solution for people with different calibers.
Old February 17, 2017, 08:02 AM   #30
DMK

Quote:
The LT-PRE also fits nearly any revolver or semi-auto... it goes in the end of the barrel and it has an expanding bushing adaptor that can be adjusted for barrel width. Rather than being activated by the firing pin It is activated by the sound of the hammer or striker hitting. It does stick out of the end of the barrel a bit, but it seems like a nice solution for people with different calibers.
I have one of those.

It does have a bushing that tightens and it will fit tight in the barrel. It is reliable and has it's uses, but doesn't always work that well for practicing drawing from concealment. Depending on how you carry and how you want to practice, it may work OK for you, or it may not.