The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 25, 2016, 01:40 AM   #1
Surp

Crossbow

I have been looking at the Bear bruzer for $400 and was about to pull the trigger then saw I could get the Torrix for $100 more.
Now the question is if it's worth it As I have no experience with these are any crossbow.

I know the Bruzer is a little smaller and around 1/2 pound lighter (these are heavy bows)and from what I have heard it better balanced.

The Torrix shots 20FPS faster with the same low 125lb draw weight has replaceable AR style frontier and comes with a better scope which isn't a big deal to me as I will eventually be replacing it with Barnett 1.5-5 x 32 for the Illuminated retical.

This will be my first crossbow and I will be using it for hunting and maybe even fishing. Also if you think I could get a better reverse draw for the money let me know where to look.
Old December 25, 2016, 07:52 AM   #2
shootbrownelk

I'll follow this post, I'm looking at starting to hunt earlier in the fall in the mountains for elk when they're rutting and the weather is nice. I have arthritis in both shoulders and my neck, and can't draw my compound without pain. A crossbow with a cocking device may be my answer.

There should be some experienced crossbow guys on the site who will respond, hopefully. I know nothing about crossbows.
Old December 25, 2016, 09:30 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

Go here and look at the crossbow forum. You'll learn everything you'll ever want to know about crossbows and which ones are the best pics for the buck. My money isn't on Bear being the first choice.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/index.php
Old December 25, 2016, 09:40 AM   #4
shootbrownelk

NSB, Thanks for the link. SBE
Old December 25, 2016, 10:57 PM   #5
Surp

I know for sure Bear isn't the first/top choice and that they are heavy but from all accounts I have heard they are well built and especially for the money $400 for a decent reverse draw. I will check that site out and see what they can tell me.

Last edited by Surp; December 25, 2016 at 11:06 PM.
Old December 26, 2016, 01:52 PM   #6
g.willikers

Years ago, a fellow did a test and article in a bowhunting magazine on all kinds of archery equipment.
His conclusion was the arrow was far more important than the method of delivery.
The design and sharpness of the arrow head and the weight of the arrow, rather than the arrow speed or the draw weight of the bow was what brought down game reliably.
He got the idea from the relatively weak bows used by the indians to bring down North American Bison and other large native game.
His testing was done on actual game, both before and after the kill.
He got as good a result from a fairly light weight recurve as from a compound bow or crossbow with suitable arrows.
Old December 26, 2016, 04:32 PM   #7
NoSecondBest

I have shot archery for sixty-two years and I've killed over eighty deer with a long bow, recurve bow, compound bow, and recently with a crossbow. The differences between any vertical bow and a crossbow are extreme. Other than the fact that they are both some sort of archery, they are extremely different. Go to the website provided to learn a bit about crossbows. Even if you know a lot about shooting a bow, if you've never shot a crossbow or haven't examined one, you no basically nothing about them. Crossbows require almost no setup from the manufacturer. Vertical bows require a lot of tuning to shoot properly. Most crossbows shoot the same arrows, only varying in length. Vertical bows require specific arrows due to differences in length and weight of pull on the bow. Vertical bows will shoot both mechanical heads and traditional heads well if the heads are of good quality. Crossbows "weak link", if there is one, is that they are somewhat difficult to get the "arrows" to shoot well with traditional heads and will shoot a lot of different mechanical heads well. This has just scratched the surface. Crossbows are unbelievable accurate even at long ranges and will easily out shoot vertical bows. I can keep my crossbow bolts inside a 1.5" group at 55yds. I'm a former state and mid-atlantic tournament champion and can't do that with my vertical bows. Even beginners can shoot a crossbow well, it's basically very little learning curve. As far as power goes, the crossbow will almost always completely pass through a deer at any reasonable distance. The vertical bow will usually pass through if no ribs are hit. The crossbow bolt is a third heavier than a vertical bow arrow and has a lot more kinetic energy which allows it to do this. Here's your final fact: you'll learn a lot more about archery on the link I gave you than you will on a website dedicated to guns. That's a fact. Go there and start looking around. PM me if you have any specific questions about that site or just shooting archery. Good luck.
Old December 26, 2016, 05:57 PM   #8
g.willikers

Quote:
The crossbow bolt is a third heavier than a vertical bow arrow and has a lot more kinetic energy which allows it to do this.
Is the greater weight of the crossbow bolt, and the ability of the crossbow to deliver such a heavy arrow, responsible for the results?
If so, then isn't the fellow, who did the test I described, and you in agreement?
There is one drawback to the crossbow, the time it takes to make subsequent shots.
And the ones I've tried make a lot of noise.
Could be important as it's not likely to get a second shot.
Might be the reason they were found abandoned on medieval battle fields.
One major advantage to hunting with a bow is that it's quiet and the quarry isn't always even aware it is the quarry.
And second shots are very possible.
Just a thought.
Old December 26, 2016, 07:57 PM   #9
NoSecondBest

The crossbow is loud and slow to reload. However, it's so accurate that those two things are irrelevant. One good shot and it's game over. I hunt with regular bows and enjoy that type of hunting very much. However, hunting with a crossbow is more effective in taking game than a regular bow. I've shot deer with a regular bow on a second shot, but it's very rare to get one. On those occasions I probably wouldn't have needed a second shot had I been using a crossbow. I equate using a crossbow to using a muzzle loader with a bit less practical distance of use. They are pretty easy to use and require a very short learning curve. In fact, the learning curve is more about remembering to keep all your fingers out of the "triangle" when you shoot. The "triangle" is the space between the string and the bow when cocked. If you stick your fingers up in there while shooting the bow, you're going to lose some fingers. Most bows now have a guard to help prevent this. They are a bomb waiting to go off when cocked and that's the condition you're carrying them in or using them in when hunting. As far as wondering why they were less effective on the battle field, it's simply the rate of fire. Fortunately when we're deer hunting the rate of fire doesn't come in to play. The deer aren't carrying long bows.
Note: there are a LOT of good videos on Youtube related to crossbows. They show the different manufacturers products, shooting demos, and hunting videos. Do a google search and enjoy the show.
Old February 9, 2017, 11:32 PM   #10
Savage99

This information about crossbows is very interesting. I got my first crossbow recently and am learning to use it here in the basement.

I can shoot a crossbow here as its safe and makes no noise.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Barnett-R...ckage/24534726

Last edited by Savage99; February 10, 2017 at 12:15 AM.
Old February 10, 2017, 05:36 AM   #11
Blindstitch

I have a Barnett Veloci-Raptor and people will trash Barnett all day long but when it comes down to it they are inexpensive quality bows. The 4 point I shot this year with it didn't know what hit him. Ran 35 yards and dropped like a rock.

I can't wait to do it again next year. And nobody even knew I shot.
Old March 24, 2017, 11:10 PM   #12
Savage99

Recruit

I just shot my Barnett crossbow in the basement for the fun of it! I know it's midnight however its a new thing to me and I get a kick out of it. It makes no noise and I might get something with it.

It hit right in the center tonight!

The first picture above is wrong of another model. The one below is the Barnett I have!

Last edited by Savage99; March 24, 2017 at 11:20 PM. Reason: picture
Old March 27, 2017, 11:28 AM   #13
Model12Win

Keep in mind various police and militaries around the world still use modern compound crossbows for anti-terror and riot control operation. Less risk of collateral damage, stealthy, and won't set off a suicide bomber's vest as easily as a firearm.
Old March 27, 2017, 01:06 PM   #14
peggysue

ban all guns and use cross bows for the future
Old March 27, 2017, 02:00 PM   #15
Model12Win

Quote:
ban all guns and use cross bows for the future
Old April 9, 2017, 08:29 PM   #16
Savage99

The most important shot from my crossbow is it's first one at the game animal I want.

The first shot last night hit right on in the deer target in my basement where I shoot it for accuracy.

I am going down there again right now to test it again. I will shoot the same arrrow the same way.
Old April 9, 2017, 08:46 PM   #17
Savage99

The same arrow just hit 5" to the right at 58' on the same target in my basement. While it's not (right on) ! It's a start.

I have to get some more arrows.
Old April 9, 2017, 09:50 PM   #18
lefteye

Is a crossbow a firearm? Please read Forum Rule No. 1. Having hunted with compound bows for many, many years I appreciate interests in bows and bow hunting, but I don't make my archery or bow hunting posts on TFL.
Old April 10, 2017, 08:33 AM   #19
g.willikers

Party Pooper.
Old April 10, 2017, 09:51 AM   #20
NoSecondBest

Quote:
Is a crossbow a firearm? Please read Forum Rule No. 1. Having hunted with compound bows for many, many years I appreciate interests in bows and bow hunting, but I don't make my archery or bow hunting posts on TFL.
I guess you're correct on the rule. I looked at it and it's quite clear on what subject matter can be addressed on here. However, in this case it's not offensive or political, etc. I'll let the mods determine whether or not it should be locked, and if it offends anyone I hope they just quit following it and not let them be bothered too much.

To the OP: there is another forum called archerytalk.com that is a very active and interesting site with a great forum on there. They have a sub-forum for crossbows and it's very informative and helpful. You might want to check it out and see if you can find more info and participate in a place more specific to your interests. Good luck and have fun shooting your xbow.
Old April 10, 2017, 02:07 PM   #21
lefteye

I am/was a member of Archery Talk for years when I was a bow hunter. I no longer hunt with a bow. Archery Talk is an excellent forum. The crossbow posts were certainly not offensive or political and I certainly did not intend my post to be offensive or political. I apologize to anyone offended by my post.

Last edited by lefteye; April 10, 2017 at 02:15 PM.