The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 20, 2016, 10:37 AM   #1
Skans

Swiss M1882 Revolver

I have a Swiss M1882 Revolver. On the frame, under the left black bakelite grips it is stamped "SIG". I believe this stands for Schweizerische Industriegesellschaft, which according to Wikipedia is German for "Swiss Industrial Company".

For any of you who may be knowledgeable about these revolvers, I have a couple of questions. Would this mean the pistol was actually made in Germany? Were all M1882's marked "SIG", or were they made by more than one manufacturer?
Old May 20, 2016, 10:57 AM   #2
Heracles

Most of the swiss 1882 revolver were produced by "Eidgenössische Waffenfabrik Bern" (-->W+F M1882: army production).
SIG means "Schweizerische Industrie-Gesellschaft" and was producing guns since 1860 (-->SIG 1882: civil production). The M1882 ordonanz revolver was produced in Switzerland in any case.

This gun is a master piece of gun mechanics and hand craft and very soft and accurate to shoot.

Do you have a picture of your gun sign?

Last edited by Heracles; May 22, 2016 at 03:49 AM.
Old May 20, 2016, 11:14 AM   #3
aarondhgraham

Oh my,,,

Oh my,,,
What a lovely revolver.

With those copper colored/tinted parts,,,
It exemplifies the term, Steampunk.

Color me green with envy.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old May 20, 2016, 12:18 PM   #4
Skans

Yep, that's my 1882. The parts are actually straw color, and the grip should be black - probably a lighting thing. It is a beauty! The best thing is that the frame door easily swings open exposing the clockwork. Oh, and every part is numbered and marked. I've never shot mine - you must have ordered the ammo special just to shoot it?

Heracles, so if I understand correctly, my SIG marked M1882 would actually be more of a civilian or commercial production gun. Interesting!! Thank you so much for this information.

The 1882 was "steampunk" before there was steampunk. I would love to find an M1878 to keep it company, but they are too hard to find and too expensive when you find them now (on on gunbroker listed for $2,750)

Last edited by Skans; May 20, 2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old May 20, 2016, 02:40 PM   #5
aarondhgraham

What acrtridge does it take?

This is a source for some of that obsolete ammo,,,
Perhaps you could find some here?

gadscustomcartridges.com

I found ammo for my 1892 Lebel there.

I dunno about you,,,
But it hurts me to own a gun I can never shoot.

Aarond

Old May 20, 2016, 02:49 PM   #6
Heracles

M1882

Yes, the SIG marked M1882 is the civilian or commercial production gun. You can shoot the 1882 with its original 7.5mm BP cartridge. They are still available (but not always working :-) ) at egun.

or shoot it with the .32 S&W long wad cutter (mild load) like I do :-)

pictures see also:

http://imgur.com/a/NuvrJ

Last edited by Heracles; May 20, 2016 at 03:41 PM.
Old May 20, 2016, 02:52 PM   #7
Heracles

@ Skans: could you please make a photo of your "SIG" logo on your M1882? I have never seen one before
Old May 20, 2016, 03:31 PM   #8
Heracles

On this photo you can see the "W+F" logo (below the Swiss cross) for "Waffen+Fabrik" Bern
and the black "Bakelit" hand grips.

Last edited by Heracles; May 22, 2016 at 03:45 AM.
Old May 20, 2016, 04:00 PM   #9
aarondhgraham

Hello Heracles,,,

Do you have a URL for egun?

My Google-Fu is not strong today,,,
I can't find anything on it.

Aarond

Old May 21, 2016, 03:42 PM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

The original loading, powerwise, was very close to the .32 S&W Long, if not under that.

I've not seen one of these in a long time.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 23, 2016, 07:37 AM   #11
Skans

Quote:
@ Skans: could you please make a photo of your "SIG" logo on your M1882? I have never seen one before
I'll try and take some pictures of it this evening.
Old May 23, 2016, 08:07 AM   #12
zfk55

Adios.

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'

Last edited by zfk55; May 24, 2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old May 26, 2016, 01:04 PM   #13
Skans

Here are some pictures of my Swiss M1882. It's marked "SIG" toward the bottom of the grip frame under the left grip panel. Interestingly, I believe it is also marked "WF" under the Swiss cross on the frame. I took the grips off and opened the door to expose the action for these pictures:

Last edited by Skans; May 26, 2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old May 26, 2016, 01:40 PM   #14
Heracles

SIG and W+F

Nice,very nice!
You have two marks on it: W+F on the side of the frame (like all others M1882)
AND the SIG mark on the frame grip part.
Now I have to check my 1882...may be there are also SIG marks.
Thank you for yours pictures.
Old May 27, 2016, 11:26 AM   #15
Heracles

SIG and W+F

One of mine has also a "SIG" mark. It is writen like "S.J.G"

Old May 27, 2016, 11:32 AM   #16
Skans

Heracles, that is interesting and baffling. I'm wondering now what this mark is? Why would yours be SJG?
Old May 27, 2016, 11:38 AM   #17
Heracles

J vs. I

In older ages the sign "J" instead of the "I" were often used. This was very common in German language, but not practised in present.
Old May 27, 2016, 03:06 PM   #18
Skans

Ok, I'm learing! So, Heracles, what do you make of our pistols having the "SIG" mark and the WF mark?
Old May 27, 2016, 04:08 PM   #19
Heracles

gun history

They are nice pieces of gun history. As simple as that. During this ages, the revolvers were made by W+F and SIG. SIG was a private company building mostly other industrial products, where W+F was supported by the government (Swiss army). Both manufacturers are well known for there quality products back then, especially W+F had a long tradition in making quality firearms, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffenfabrik_Bern
I enjoy to shot this revolvers, more than the newer revolvers I own and I am still surprised about the quality of this revolvers.
Old May 27, 2016, 04:08 PM   #20
MRCL

It would be an early practice, then.
Edit: I looked in a few books and came across it on a few old rifle tags; The "J" in SJG is simply due to the font used. It looks like a "J" but is still an "I".
I saw a rifle tag bearing the name "Hans Jmthurn", but he's still called and written "Imthurn". So there's that.

Now, both SIG and Waffenfabrik Bern made the Revolvers. Depending on where they went, they have different marks. My only source is a book about Swiss police handguns, as I have not yet been able to source the military handgun book. Anyways, depending in which department was issued them, different marks are found. Yours appears to be military issued as the police ones bear a P before the serial.

Now, Swiss weapon manufacturing was (and still is) a quirky and sometimes complicated affair. It sometimes is hard to pinpoint who exactly made (or used) what weapon.

I try to find out more about it.

By the way hello to all, I'm new here, names Marcel, living in - wait for it - Switzerland, not far from Neuhausen

Edit: Yours is from 1914, made by Waffenfabrik Bern. I reckon SIG and WF shared some resources, thus the SIG stamp.

WF mainly made the military issued revolvers and also for the police (with a P before the serial). SIG made private ones and police ones but without a P (but a Fabrique Neuhausen stamp).

Source:
http://www.swisswaffen.com/?W=R82&LP=H7

Last edited by MRCL; May 30, 2016 at 06:00 AM.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:42 AM   #21
Skans

Hello MRCL! It's great to have someone from Switzerland here on this board. I appreciate your input on this gun.

My understanding is that the M1882 that I have (pictures with serial # 14850) was made prior to 1898. In the US pistols made before 1898 do not need to transfer through an FFL, due to being "antiques". When I purchased mine, it was mailed directly to me (which would be highly illegal if it was post 1898). I know, this makes no sense since this revolver is even by today's standards quite usable and serviceable. The one that Heracles posted is P22348. What I really don't understand is that I would think if it was made around 1914, it should have the wooden grips, shouldn't it? Or, perhaps the Police issued 1882's still had the bakelite grips.
Old May 30, 2016, 02:32 PM   #22
MRCL

Sadly I cannot answer that (for now). I lack proper sources. The police gun book doesnt go into technical details and the infantry weapons book only details the M1882/29. There, the first 7000 revolvers hat canevasit grips and the later ones had a better synthetics (it doesnt say what material though). Some police forces had slightly custom revolvers so maybe that is the case here.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk