The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 12, 2013, 10:20 PM   #1
skizzums

VEPR

hey guys, seriously considering buying a VEPR in 7.62x54r sometime in the next couple weeks. unfortunately, i don't know anyone that owns one or who has ever shot one before. i have been shooting nagants and ak's for a few years and love both, so why not combine my favorite round with my favorite shooter. can anyone here speak for the quality of these rifles? i'm mainly concerned about accuracy up to 400 yards and dependability of the mags/feeding etc. there isn't many aftermarket parts available, so if it doesnt work well as-is, i would be out of luck. this is the cheapest i have found and it will need a little work, but its a good price.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/rus...k-w20-12-72999
Old August 12, 2013, 10:35 PM   #2
stubbicatt

An occasional contributor here Sturmgewehr has a youtube channel "Military Arms Channel" where he reviewed the Vepr here in the last year or two. It is worth watching his take on it. IIRC, he said it was a fantastic rifle.

HTH.
Old August 13, 2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Mrgunsngear

They're awesome guns. CHF barrels, RPK receivers, great rivet work, ect... The accuracy limitation will likely come more from your ammo rather than your gun.
Old August 13, 2013, 03:32 PM   #4
skizzums

okay thanks, i just didn't wanna buy a piece of junk, i have heard mixed reviews but usually from people who don't seem to understand what they are buying. i.e. unfinished square stocks etc. but Molot sounds like a sound company. thanks
Old August 13, 2013, 04:48 PM   #5
dean1818

if you reload I have heard they beat up the brass

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old August 13, 2013, 05:05 PM   #6
panther5547

Love it

The vepr has quickly become one of my favorite guns. It shoots great, there is little to dislike in my opinion. As I found I enjoyed shooting it more and more, I've changed things to make it even more of a joy to own and shoot. Here is an after picture of what I've done to mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0057.jpg (225.9 KB, 29 views)
Old August 13, 2013, 05:36 PM   #7
skizzums

dean: i do reload, but i won't for the VEPR, i have no quams with cheap suplus steel core, just make sure to clean it up right away. i don't think i would save much if i did reload that bigazz bullet.

panther: it's beautiful. i really wish i could find a 23incher in the same price range, but i'll take whatever i can get. i gotta have that gun, i'm having semi-moist dreams about it.....
Old August 13, 2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Dr Big Bird PhD

The VEPR is the sexiest rifle I know that I will never be able to shoot/own unless I move...
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old August 13, 2013, 06:39 PM   #9
skizzums

why cant you own a vepr? they come with 5 round mags or ten round mags. is anything detachable illegal there?