The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 4, 2013, 04:42 PM   #1
Machineguntony

Waiting for your Tax stamps

I must confess that I am thoroughly enjoying this period of waiting for my tax stamps.

About three months ago, I didn't even know that you could buy a silencer or a machine gun. Then I started reading and my eyes lit up. It's been a month since I submitted my forms and the dealer is holding the guns. They let me shoot them at the range while I am waiting, but I've declined until I can take my babies home.

I am currently waiting on 5 silencers, an mp5a3, m16a1, and an m16a2.

In the meantime, I am setting up my reloading bench, reloading gear, buying lots of reloading supplies, shopping for an upper, shopping for a 22lr full auto conversion, reading up on safe machine gun handling (in my old city, a sheriffs department rangemaster shot himself accidentally when a FA gun rose on him), shopping for a large gun safe, and just doing various other stuff.

This all kinda sounds like how couple prepare for a baby. I am getting ready, and I am having so much fun. I feel like a kid at Christmas again. And coincidentally, I can't wait for Christmas, which will be the six month mark.

I hope actual ownership of these NFA items is as much fun as the prep.

What did you guys do while waiting on your first NFA items? Is this excitement normal?
Old July 4, 2013, 04:47 PM   #2
zoomie

Quote:
I am currently waiting on 5 silencers, an mp5a3, m16a1, and an m16a2.
Holy crap. Is that you, Bill Gates?
Old July 4, 2013, 04:53 PM   #3
Willie Lowman

I go on about my life because I already have most of the things you listed.

I usually find something else to get transfered to me by the time my stamp arrives.
Old July 4, 2013, 06:36 PM   #4
Machineguntony

Yeah, but Willie, don't you remember the first time you had to wait? Or were you born before 1936?

I can imagine when I'm old, and I have a house full of NFA items, I'll be like, 'brrrr...you kids and your dam machine guns, check out my Spaceballs brand flamethrower' grrrr'.
Old July 4, 2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Theohazard

Quote:
Machineguntony posted
I must confess that I am thoroughly enjoying this period of waiting for my tax stamps.
Wow. Tony, you're a better man than I; I find the wait EXCRUCIATING! It's worse when you work at the dealer! I can go visit my suppressors in the safe, I can even go shoot them on the range (but suppressors at indoor ranges with steel bullet traps kinda suck), but I can't take them off the premises until the tax stamps come in, and it drives me crazy.
Old July 4, 2013, 07:58 PM   #6
Machineguntony

True true. That's why I don't the dealer up on the offer to shoot them while in their presence. I'll just wait until the day they come in.

I wouldn't say the wait is excruciating. I feel an anticipation that I find exhilarating, almost makes me feel kid like. I think the real excruciating feeling will come when month 5.5 hits. I'm pretty accomplished in life right now, and I have a lot, and feelings like this are rare.

I remember when I was 9 years old, I had the best christmas ever, and on December 23, i couldn't stop thinking of all the stuff under the tree. This is kinda allowing me to relive those days past.

I'm just hoping that actual ownership will be as fun as I expect. I have a friend who was on the wait list for a Lamborghini. The waitlist on that was like 2 years. After delivery, we drove it around. It was cool for a month, then we realized that the car was cramped, guzzled gas at 7mpg, had no clearance, chicks rolled their eyes, and only little boys went 'ooooh aaaah' when they saw it. Worst part is that anytime he would valet, he was required to be a dick to the valet, and tell them that he knew the mileage because once it mysteriously came back with 70 extra miles after he picked it up from valet (expensive joyride because he threatened the company with a lawsuit and the company paid him $2500 and fired the valet).
Old July 6, 2013, 08:22 AM   #7
1DrnkMxR

I'm waiting on a tax stamp for my SWR suppressor and I cry myself to sleep every night.
Old July 6, 2013, 11:41 PM   #8
Theohazard

^ I feel your pain, brother...