The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 6, 2013, 10:28 AM   #1
Skans

Guns - my appetite is on "full"....

For now. I am quite satisfied with the guns I have. At the current prices, there really isn't anything more that I want; not even ammo.

I'm full - just going to enjoy what I have. Just wondering how many others feel this way?
Old April 6, 2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Carne Frio

I am feeling the same. Have all that I want,
especially at current pricing.
Old April 6, 2013, 10:50 AM   #3
TailGator

I still have a couple of things I wouldn't mind buying, but now doesn't seem to be the time. It isn't that the prices I see locally are all that bad, but the selection is limited and doesn't include what is on my list.

Plus the gun fund is down a bit after my wife decided to start carrying (hooray!) and so we bought her a pistol, and a holster, and some ammo (no, she couldn't buy a caliber I already have, of course), and she is going to take a CC class and get her permit. So actually the gun fund is down to roughly zero right now, but I consider it an excellent investment.
Old April 6, 2013, 11:09 AM   #4
skimbell

If you're still looking for something be patient. I bought a gun on GB last night that I've been chasing around for a couple of months. It was a NIB Glock and it isn't one of those in "high demand" Glocks but it just seemed that I was getting beat in every auction by about $35-50 over my maximum bid. Last night the auction that I was in ended with mine being the only bid. I got the gun for the price listed by the dealer to start the auction which was about $75 below normal pricing that you see at Bud's and The Glock store. Including the shipping and FFL transfer fee I'm getting the gun for less than the last one I saw in my LGS.
Still some good deals if you look around.
Old April 6, 2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Jo6pak

The number of firearms I own has actually been going down. I've been culling some guns that seldom made it out of the safe, and making a few changes in the ones that get used.

My only "want" is a flintlock smoke pole
Old April 6, 2013, 12:02 PM   #6
buck460XVR

I too think we are "over the hump" and things are starting to return to normal. For those that were desperate and willing to pay thru the nose, lesson learned.
Old April 6, 2013, 12:10 PM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

There are plenty of guns and gun-related things that I want. However, all of my serious gun needs have been met. I'm unwilling to pay current panic-level prices for stuff that I want, but not really need.
Old April 6, 2013, 01:11 PM   #8
NWPilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
There are plenty of guns and gun-related things that I want. However, all of my serious gun needs have been met. I'm unwilling to pay current panic-level prices for stuff that I want, but not really need.
I am satisfied with the guns I have for now. I am concentrating on upgrading optics and testing more component combinations to make best use of the quantities I have. Finally found a great load in .223 using the powder and bullets I have the most of: BL-C2 and 55 gr FMJ.
Old April 6, 2013, 02:06 PM   #9
cvc944

There are still more than a few out there that I want, but I'm very happy with what I have. I'm just hoping the younger shooters, collectors, and hunters out there will be able to buy and shoot the guns they want, just like I was able to do.
Old April 6, 2013, 02:41 PM   #10
Pond, James Pond

There are still a couple of guns out there that I'd quite fancy but these are more variations on what I already have. I can't say I'm lacking, especially since I've landed myself that CZ Varmint.

Apart from a semi-auto rifle for IPSC, I'm pretty much sated!
Old April 6, 2013, 03:22 PM   #11
ronl

I think I'm pretty well satisfied with what I have. Last thing I ordered were some ACD's for my scoped rifles. Only thing I may desire is one more red dot sight for one of my rifles. That is a maybe. Have plenty of reloading supplies. I would like just a bit more powder, but I'm not hurting for anything. I have recently sold a few of my guns just because I never used them. I have one more I may sell, a .223 Savage FCP Choate with a Super Sniper 10x42, but I haven't decided yet. I have never even worked up a load for it.
Old April 6, 2013, 04:27 PM   #12
shouldazagged

My wants are immaterial now, as I live on Social Security and a very small pension. I'd still like to have a couple of things: a Smith 696 .44 Special, or a nice Model 3913. But I'm qute content with my Model 10-5 head-of-the-bed gun and my EDC for over 12 years, a dashless 640 .38 Special +P. There's just something about J- and K-frames I've always loved, and in my old age I've returned to my old loves.
Old April 6, 2013, 04:37 PM   #13
Dave R

Me, too

I share this feeling. Maybe its a response to the panic buying. Just feeling settled with what I have.
Old April 6, 2013, 07:51 PM   #14
WC145

I'm in a similar position, not wanting for anything, not looking for anything. At least that's what I thought until I ran across a wicked cool custom revolver on gunbroker that I had to have. Nothing to do with panic buying, it was just one of those opportunities that you don't want to pass up. Now $1300+ later I'm sitting on my hands waiting for it to get here.

My name is WC145 and I am a gunaholic.......
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old April 6, 2013, 09:22 PM   #15
5.56RifleGuy

All I really want is a Tavor and a Valmet m76 tube folder. And an Hk 91. And full auto uzi. And a registered HK trigger pack. I want a Famas, but 10,000 is a lot for a rifle.

There is a lot of other stuff I would buy at the right price. Fixed stock FNC, 308 Galil, Daewoo k1, and a few others.
Old April 6, 2013, 10:37 PM   #16
orionengnr

Have not bought anything for almost a year. That is a record for me, for at least the last twelve years.

But I have my eye on a couple that are not "threatened"... "evil"..."hi-cap" pistols.

Which is not to say they are available. But if I happen across one...
Old April 6, 2013, 10:39 PM   #17
Joe_Pike

The 'panic' really helped curb my desire and helped me appreciate what I already have. Extra money has been going into silver and gold instead (although in very small amounts).
Old April 6, 2013, 11:24 PM   #18
Ignition Override

True.
There was plenty of 'intell' back in early '08 that the future could easily be challenging for US gun owners. My ammo storage began at that time. The tragedies which started with Tucson were a series of clear wake-up calls.

More M2 Ball is next. I have a fair bit, but my son was gone to college when the bug bit me.

There is a little hope that the gun bug will one day bite him. By then the CMP might have no more Garands (for him-or any of you guys/gals).
This is one of the reasons I've built up 7,000 rds. of centerfire rifle ammo, and I use a good bit.
Old April 6, 2013, 11:44 PM   #19
kilimanjaro

There's a couple of others I want to get, but could be time to thin the herd, too. Ammo and components is my thing this year.
Old April 7, 2013, 12:07 AM   #20
dajowi

Right now I'm concentrating on reloading supplies - nothing else. Doubtful I'll be purchasing any new firearms...especially if the UBC law is passed.
Old April 7, 2013, 12:40 AM   #21
Sarge

Need a 22 target pistol, a Beretta 21A and a belly gun. I have gone a long time without the desire to trade any of my personal guns. I go to some trouble to thoroughly de-bug each one, zero the sights perfectly and add whatever few personal mods I prefer. It takes time, money and ammo to get them there.
Old April 7, 2013, 07:38 AM   #22
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans
For now. I am quite satisfied with the guns I have. At the current prices, there really isn't anything more that I want; not even ammo.

I'm full - just going to enjoy what I have. Just wondering how many others feel this way?
I feel exactly the same. Oh sure there are one or two that if I found a screaming deal on, I wouldnt pass up, but if that never happens, I am very content with what I have. The two I would like to add are a Ruger 44 Carbine, and a S&W 2214.
Old April 7, 2013, 08:20 AM   #23
Tactical Jackalope

Wow. Awesome thread. It's safe to say I love my gun owning brothers.

Yes! I've had literally no urge in buying a new gun at all. All I'm on the hunt for is ammo. So those of you who saved up ammo. Congrats and don't go shooting it all off.

I feel the same way. I'm happy with all I have right now.
Old April 7, 2013, 08:37 AM   #24
Skadoosh

I am GTG as well.

Though I wouldnt mind adding a M1 Garand or an M1A to my stable. I also wouldnt turn away a decent Colt SAA. And I still need a good belt holster for my Sig P6.
Old April 7, 2013, 08:54 AM   #25
Kreyzhorse

I was satisfied until Obama's latest push.

I don't need or even currently have a wish list gun but I've thought about buying one simply as a "screw you" to the grabbers telling us what we can and can't have.

I've not bought any thing but mostly because the selection is pretty limited right now. The last gun shop I was in had a few Taurus and not much else. I wasn't that mad however.