The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 11, 2013, 07:53 AM   #26
Picher

If you're left-handed, the safety nod goes to the Savage bolt gun. If shooting semi-autos left-handed, having a defective cartridge blow a rim, or a particle from a dirty breech get blown into your face, it's extremely important to wear good eye protection.

I also like lever-action rifles for lefties. They're nearly as fast as semi-autos, but safer and stay clean through more rounds. I'm partial to Marlins, but not the newer ones.
Old April 11, 2013, 08:10 AM   #27
mxsailor803

Personally I have 5 10/22's and 2 MKii's. I do like my Savages but the only bad thing about them is they just don't have the aftermarket support the Ruger does. With that being said, my best groups overall have been with my factory bull barrel savage. At 100yds it did a 3 shot group of .518 inches. That group actually won me 100 bucks when a guy beside me said his DPMS AR could out shoot my little .22 lol. What really made him mad was the fact he had more in his scope than I did with my DiP base, rings, BSA 6-24x50, Boyds Revolution stock, and initial rifle combined lol.
Old April 11, 2013, 11:46 AM   #28
L_Killkenny

I'm a 10/22 fan from way back but for shooting bug holes (i.e. trying for timy groups on paper) at the range the Savage bolt will shoot circles around a factory 10/22. Also, there are plenty of free to cheap mods you can do to them when you find the right source that will make em shoot even better.

Being said, I find bolt action .22's to be boring as all get out.
Old April 13, 2013, 12:12 AM   #29
Bentonville

I have a Marlin 30A pre-cross bolt safety, lever action that I really enjoy shooting. It just feels great and it is a beautiful gun. It's was made in the 1970s. I have a Marlin Model 80 bolt action, magazine fed that has a beefier stock than any other .22 I have ever seen. As Killkenny stated, bolt actions seem boring at the range (but great for hunting). It is more accurate for me than any other rifle I own.
My Ruger 10/22 is really fun to shoot. It's not as accurate in my hands due to the light weight and short barrel. Shooting without a rest, I had to learn to pull the trigger exactly when the sights or cross-hairs crossed the intended point of impact.. Even with a scope, it's not easy for me to stay on target. However, it rattles off the rounds! Fun.
Another dead-on accurate .22 I own is a Win. model 67 single shot. It was made back in the 30s I believe. Thank you for posting as it caused me to think about my .22s again. I have been focused on handguns for a long while. You are getting some great comments on this thread, mine not included as most of mine rifles are not readily available outside of the Ruger. In addition to this great forum, try Rimfire Central. I have learned a lot there as well.