The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 15, 2013, 10:52 PM   #1
Winchester_73

I finally got a Colt I've waited some time to find

Many of you have posted about this gun when talking about cool pocket autos, vintage colt autos or even 32 acp autos. This model has come up a lot. Of course it would, a John Browning design, made by Colt, and sold well over 500k. Many of you have posted about them because many were made and they are still around and affordable although many today have been reblued or nickeled or rode hard and even put away wet.

Well I never bought one. I never bought one because for one thing, everyone has one, and that makes me want one much less. In addition, many sellers see that its a Colt, and ignore that its one of the most common vintage Colts you could find. I always told myself "wait for a pretty one, or wait for a deal" and well, I found one that's almost both. I don't think I stole it, but pre war boxed Colts don't grow on trees either.

This gun, with SN 434XXX, is from 1923 per proofhouse and comes with its original box and paper work. The grips are fantastic, and the magazine is like new. This one stayed home for the prohibition years, and apparently for a lot of years after that. Its nice when patience finally pays off. I can't even count how many I've turned down for one reason or another. I actually did just buy another one to get the grips from it, but its not a great example, and so I will end up selling it. This one is pretty and so it joins the club.

Its sure hard to beat the bluing of a pre war Colt auto...

There is something about having prohibition era pistols...really makes you wonder what stories they could tell...

Upper right - 1920 Colt Commercial government model, bottom right, 1903 of this thread, bottom left a 1908 vest pocket 25 from 1921 and last but not least, above that, pointing to the right, a 1908 380 from 1925.

Old February 15, 2013, 10:54 PM   #2
TheNocturnus

I always thought those were odd looking guns. That said, I almost bought one at my LGS a while ago. The price was a little steep and I walked out with something else.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old February 16, 2013, 08:04 AM   #3
CajunBass

Those are nice. They look kind of quaint and old fashioned these days, but feel great in the hand.

I passed up on one a couple of years ago, and wish I hadn't.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 16, 2013, 08:36 AM   #4
MLeake

Per your logic in various Python threads, shouldn't these guns be horrible - since Colt stopped making them, after all?

I had thought about picking up one of these, in .32, but then I would have to start buying .32....
Old February 16, 2013, 09:54 AM   #5
Winchester_73

Quote:
Per your logic in various Python threads, shouldn't these guns be horrible - since Colt stopped making them, after all?
Not the point. Here is the explanation for the 1000th time - my comments about the Python being discontinued are in reference to it being billed as the best of all time, and surely, when you have something that is the best of all time, you don't discontinue it unless perhaps, its NOT actually the best. Of course there were manufacturing issues at play, but when you have the best, you find a solution. The best is something very hard to get, and as a gun maker, you cannot ignore that, if its true.

None of that applies to the Colt 1903, since no one calls it the best pocket pistol of all time, as there are so many other great choices. I much prefer the Remington 51 myself.

Last edited by Winchester_73; February 16, 2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old February 16, 2013, 09:56 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

The cartridge marking is VERY interesting...

.32 smokeless rimless...

I never took notice of that before. Odd.

Nice package, though.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 16, 2013, 06:54 PM   #7
MLeake

And here I thought the best of all time was the Korth...

Meanwhile, on the Colt pocket models, how positive are the safeties? How comfortable would you be with cocked and locked?
Old February 17, 2013, 11:27 AM   #8
Ozzieman

Showoff!
Sweet 32. I have been looking for a nice one myself but the prices have always been more than I was willing to spend.
The only 32 Browning design that I own is the one in the attached photo. It’s a Belgium manufactured during WW2.
Like the Colt it’s a very nice shooting gun that I take out on the 6th of June each year and shoot.
Nice collection of Colts.
The other gun attached is a very rare 1911 RAF 455 Eley that’s in a collection that I’m working on. Its finish is rough but it has the original barrel and the original grips are gone.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old February 17, 2013, 07:26 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

The safety on the Colt pocket model hammerless is quite positive; it blocks the sear using the same idea (though not quite the same way) as the 1911 pistol. It has two problems, the first being that it does not have a very positive detent, and the other that the safety is so small it is not as easy to take off in an emergency as it should be.

The "rimless smokeless" is marked on the guns even though the .32 is not truly rimless, being what we call semi-rimmed. The .380 ACP, like the .45 ACP, is truly rimless, apparently because John Browning became aware of the 9mm Luger cartridge which Luger brought to the U.S. for tests c. 1903.

Jim
Old February 17, 2013, 08:37 PM   #10
spacecoast

I'm really fond of my 1922 .380 and it shoots even better than it looks. Congrats on finding the one you wanted, that's a sweet collection of pistols.

Old February 17, 2013, 08:55 PM   #11
Hairbag

I like it pretty cool gun