The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 30, 2010, 11:28 PM   #1
napp

Here comes another newby

I've been lurking for a few days; but didn't register until tonight.

I'm not a new guy to shooting...my first gun was a rimfire .22cal when I was six years old. However, I am new to the BP world. I have spent the last few days trying to learn some of the jargon. I hope I did my homework well; because I just completed my first BP purchase a few minutes ago.

It wasn't easy to limit myself to "just one"; but I ordered the 1858 Remington New Army w/case hardened frame and checkered grips from Cabela. I'm sure everyone here is familiar with it; but just in case there is another newby reading this post, here is the link. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...out/basket.jsp

I also ordered what I think is enough accessories to get my feet wet in the BP pond. Cabela says I should get the gun within a week; so I'll find out then if I've forgotten anything.

I've enjoyed the forum while I was lurking; and I'm sure I will enjoy it more as I continue to learn new things.

If I should ask some dumb questions, be gentle with me.

napp
Old November 30, 2010, 11:38 PM   #2
the rifleer

Welcome to the forums. You'll love your new gun. When you shoot it, you have to get in the mind set that you are content with being patient, shooting slowly, and making every shot count.

As long as you do that, you will have tons of fun with it.
Old November 30, 2010, 11:49 PM   #3
napp

Thanks Rifleer. I couldn't help but chuckle when I saw your signature and compared it to the last line of my original post. I can only hope that is your normal signature; and not something you created especially to commemorate my joining the forum.
Old November 30, 2010, 11:54 PM   #4
egor20

Welcome napp, I will also be a newbie to the BP world if santa/OH thinks I'm a good boy after Christmas, so welcome to the newbie club

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old December 1, 2010, 05:25 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

Napp

Let me add my own welcome.

I think your decision on the Remington was a wise one.

Shoot carefully and let us know how you did the first time out.
Old December 1, 2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Fingers McGee

Welcome to the forum napp.

Even though I'm kinda partial to Colt's design for C&B revolvers, I'll second Doc's opinion that the Remmie was a good starting point for your new obsession.

Let us know how your first shooting session turns out.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 1, 2010, 02:41 PM   #7
napp

Thanks fellas.

The indoor range where I usually shoot won't allow BP; but things are falling into place for an alternative. There is a local BP club with an outdoor range that is located about ten minutes from my house. As soon as I have completed arrangements to become a club member, I will have access to the range.

I have already discovered something that I should have ordered among my accessories with the first order. Considering the ease with which one can remove the cylinder on the 1858, I think I want to get a stand alone cylinder reloading tool/stand. Cabela's has one listed; but I have no idea how it performs compared to others that are available. I would appreciate your comments on where to order one; and which one to purchase.
Old December 1, 2010, 06:05 PM   #8
bedbugbilly

Welcome to the forum! Just remember . . . "the only dumb question is the one you DON'T ask"! Sounds like you got yourself a nice shooting iron to get started with . . . you'll love it! Lots of good guys on here who can help you out if you get stuck on something . . . don't be afraid to ask! Welcom again and I hope you really enjoy your new purchase! Kindest regards!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 1, 2010, 06:16 PM   #9
Doc Hoy

Napp

Triple P makes a nice loader.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show....php?p=4116115

It is a little big to throw in the shooting box but it appears to be good quality and gets high praise from most of the users.
Old December 1, 2010, 08:36 PM   #10
Hawg

I usually get orders from Cabela's in three days. You're gonna love that Remington. It's a cut above the plain model. Not just the looks but the smoothness of the action too.

Here's mine.

Old December 1, 2010, 09:28 PM   #11
SainthoodDenied

Welcome aboard, That Remington will be a great one to get started with for sure.
I'm not sure what part of GA you're in but there are still a few BP clubs pretty active here. 2 are big clubs with monthly shoots and a couple weekend shoots each year.
Send me a message if you want info or web links to any of them.
I moved out of Ga for awhile and when I came back last year alot of the old clubs have just died out,including the 2 where I shot at regularlly that were close by.
Old December 1, 2010, 09:53 PM   #12
ClemBert

Welcome to the forum and to the insanity!

Great choice for your first BP revolver.
Old December 2, 2010, 08:21 AM   #13
kadima

Nice Pietta, although I am partial to Uberti, the checkered grips and the blueing are wonderful.
A pity checkered grips aren't allowed in BP competitions here...

K. (from Italy)
Old December 2, 2010, 04:40 PM   #14
mrappe

Welcome to the party! It sounds like you made a good decision for your first BP gun. I would like to add another one and the one you chose would be my first choice.
Old December 2, 2010, 05:26 PM   #15
BConklin

I can't welcome you - 'cause I'm a newbie too

But - I had an opportunity to handle the gun you chose at Cabelas the other day and I came very close to buying it on the spot.

I picked up a Pietta 1858 Navy 36 cal recently for my wife and it's a sweet gun - and I do shoot it, but there's no getting around the fact that the frame and grips are too small for my hand and I have to hold it funny to shoot.

I tried some of the other 1858's in the case and the best fit for me was the case hardened sweetheart you're getting. It's a very nice gun.
Old December 2, 2010, 05:34 PM   #16
Sgt.Saputo

Welcome to the forums!

Also, I just bought the same cap and ball Hawg Haggen posted.

"Stock padding? Mosin not cater to girly men. Mosin tough like hammer, take abuse, keep fighting. Defend homeland!!!" -spetznaz1337
Old December 2, 2010, 09:02 PM   #17
napp

Sgt Saputo,

I saw your other post; but it confused me. You were asking about .36 cal balls. My gun is .44 cal. I wasn't even aware that the 1858 New Army was produced as a .36 cal. Just goes to show how much I have yet to learn about the BP world.

I'm sure we will both enjoy our new acquisitions.

napp
Old December 2, 2010, 09:26 PM   #18
Doc Hoy

Welcome

Welcome, Conk,

Stay tuned.....Details at eleven.....or twelve.
Old December 2, 2010, 10:08 PM   #19
Hawg

The .36 is the Navy model.
Old December 2, 2010, 10:18 PM   #20
Sgt.Saputo

Napp, that is stupidity on my part. I was so busy staring at my gun that I didn't look close enough at yours .

I do not believe they are the same model, I purchased a Pietta Remington 1858 .36. It was used and didn't come with any papers, the guy said he was pretty sure it was an 1858 Army. So it took some looking to find out. Ordered all the stuff I couldn't get at Gander Mountain from Midway. Can't wait to get it out and shoot it .

"Stock padding? Mosin not cater to girly men. Mosin tough like hammer, take abuse, keep fighting. Defend homeland!!!" -spetznaz1337
Old December 3, 2010, 05:10 AM   #21
kadima

Sometimes the 1858 is referred to new Army regardless of the gauge.
I've shot both of them but I like the Navy (i.e. .36) more because kicks less than a .22 rimfire and allow me to concentrate on the "technical" pat of the shooting.
Besides (yes, my middle name is Ebenezer) a .36 requires less lead and powder and given that my purpose is just to put holes in a target and I don't care about stopping power (at least not in a BP gun) it's the perfect choice.

K.
Old December 3, 2010, 08:11 AM   #22
junkman_01

The purpose of ANY gun is to put holes in a target. If that paper target is pi$$ed off and charging you'll WISH you had a .44
Old December 3, 2010, 09:38 AM   #23
BConklin

Yes - Pietta makes a .36 cal 1858 with a 6.5 barrel. Sweeeet gun.

Different vendors call it different things now ..such as "New Army Police" but I *think* the original Remingtons were produced in .36 for the Navy.
Old December 3, 2010, 11:15 AM   #24
napp

Hawg,

I like the finish of the grips on your 1858. What do you use on them?
Old December 3, 2010, 09:42 PM   #25
Hawg

They came that way except for a lil sweat and bp fouling here and there