The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 16, 2009, 06:49 PM   #1
gregjc9

How clean is clean?

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I searched many times and couldnt find the answer I was looking for.

I've just started piecing together my reloading gear, and started tumbling some 45 and 9mm cases I've been collecting. I have a H/F vibrating tumber, and using Lizard Litter, which is crushed English walnut shells (pet store, $10 for 5# bag). I also put in one cup full of NuPolish and several strips of cut up blue shop towels to soak up the dust (all these tips I've learned here, thanks!).

I let the 45 cases tumble all day. They came out with the outside obviously very shiny. But my question is how clean should the inside of the cases be (obviously more important than the outsides)? Some came out very clean, others not so.

I dont intend to be OCD about this, I just wanted to make sure I was doing things right. TIA

Greg
Old November 16, 2009, 06:53 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I tumble my cases for 2-3 hours max. Just enough to make sure they are clean enough to run through my dies. I use no additive, as my walnut media works great alone. Getting absolutely all the grime out of the cases is not mandatory. In fact, some guys just wipe down the outside of the case with a rag.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old November 16, 2009, 06:59 PM   #3
oneounceload

The inside doesn't matter - the outside is nice to look at and helps when you're resizing. A few hours should do fine. When it starts taking too long. change out some of the media
Old November 16, 2009, 10:54 PM   #4
Ivan

Make sure there isn't stuff stuck to the inside of the case to reduce capacity and of course make sure there isn't any tumbler media stuck in the flash hole. (Fairly likely in very narrow mouthed cases.) Other than that, powder scorched is just fine.

I usta tumble for more like 8-10 hours (Just start it up before work and turn off when I get home).

- Ivan.
Old November 17, 2009, 02:22 AM   #5
Scorch

They don't have to be sanitary, just clean! I tumble mine for 45 mins to 1 hour MAX. If they need more than that, they'll get more next time around.
Old November 17, 2009, 04:47 AM   #6
Dannyl

1 Hr is almost always enough

Hi,
The only time I tumble longer than that is when I get cases that are VERY dirty, either from friends or brass that was left out for a long time at the range.
I use a Lyman tymbler with corn-cob media,

Brgds,
Danny
Old November 17, 2009, 08:32 AM   #7
gregjc9

Thanks all for the input, much appreciated!

Greg
Old November 17, 2009, 11:03 AM   #8
QBall45

I've found no differance in function if I tumble for an hour or overnight. Mosy certainly there is a big differance in exterior apperance. 1-3 hours gets em clean. If factory new shine is the goal, leave em run overnight. (This is what I usually do as I typically get to my bench late in the evening)
Old November 17, 2009, 11:41 AM   #9
BigJimP

Run time depends on how dirty the media is - when its new, an hour or so is plenty - after I've run 6 or 8 batches - run it another hour or so... / after 12 batches or so I usually let it run about 4 hours.... but like others advised, you just want to get the powder residue, discoloration off.
Old November 17, 2009, 11:49 AM   #10
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
I shoot benchrest

So the inside of the cases does matter.
I wash them in soap and water then a good rinse.
after sizing I degrease and clean with Phosphoric Acid. "citric acid"
then tumble for 30 minutes.
I don't clean hand gun rounds.