The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 11, 2009, 09:46 PM   #1
Hardcase

No half cock safety on Win 94

So after swapping levers between my two 94s, I now notice that the half cock safety on the carbine does not work. There's no click and no mechanical feel as the hammer passes the half cock point. I cannot lower the hammer to half cock, either - it's full cock or on the firing pin.

To be honest, I'm not sure if it would half cock before swapping the levers, so I'm not sure if it's something that I did or something that happened between 1974 and now.

I'm not intimately familiar with the innards of the rifle, at least not the trigger and hammer. I feel comfortable taking the rifle apart, but I'm not exactly sure what to look for. Does anybody have a suggestion or is this one of those things that would be better handled by a gunsmith?
Old August 12, 2009, 05:40 AM   #2
drail

Newer 94s use a rebounding firing pin in the breech block and there is no half cock on the hammer. Is there a safety button on the receiver? Personally I would not trust carrying any weapon on half cock. Most designs with a half cock notch were intended to catch the hammer when manually lowered in case your thumb slips off of it. It really isn't a safety for carrying the weapon when loaded. I would carry with the hammer down and not chamber a round until you want to fire.
Old August 12, 2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Hardcase

This one was made before all the lawyering up. It does not have a rebounding hammer or crossbolt safety. I'm with you on the "safety-ness" of the hammer safety, but my concern is that the rifle is not doing something that it should be doing.

I've taken it apart before, so I guess I can take it apart again. If nothing obvious shows up, I'll just take it to the gunsmith. Lord knows, he can use the business!
Old August 12, 2009, 07:33 PM   #4
drail

Awright din. Changing out the lever shouldn't have had any effect on the hammer operation. I have two of the Trappers with the stupid cross bolt safety. Didn't take me long to eliminate that feature. I sure do love them Winchester lever guns. Don't get more American than that. Enjoy!
Old August 12, 2009, 11:51 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

In spite of "modern" thinking, the half cock WAS intended to be the safety on that rifle and on every other hammer gun Browning ever designed until the Army made him put a thumb safety on what became the Model 1911. He had put safeties on hammerless/concealed hammer guns, but if there was a hammer, JMB figured the half cock was good enough. That it would stop a hammer that fell off the full cock notch was nice, but incidental.

Jim
Old August 24, 2009, 09:47 PM   #6
Hardcase

Found the problem. The sear is loaded with a flat wire spring against the hammer. That spring slipped a little, so the sear was not properly engaging the hammer. Also, it looks like the sear is worn a bit, so it probably needs to be replaced. That's a project for another day.