The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 3, 2007, 12:05 PM   #1
biglabsrule

Frozen paw Puppy dog....

I live in the Adirondack park in upstate new york. Lets just say alot of thick woods with houses spread out. Last Saturday a beagle showed up at my sisters house who lives about 10 miles away. He was in bad condition so they took him in and got him looking half way decent, he looks to be about 1- 1.5 years old. A couple days ago we took him to my house and he's been doing prety well here. The only thing is we take him out to go the bathroom and smell squirl and deer tracks. He wants to follow them but after a hundred feet or so he sits down and licks his paws. We carry him back to the house and he'll sit there licking on them for 20 mins. (I just took him out and had this happen again, it's 20* out so not that cold by anymeans...)
Anybody have experience with how long it takes a dog to get over frostbitten paws?
I was thinking maybe of buying him some dog booties so he doesn't have this problem... Don't plan on taking him outside for any more than a half an hour but don't like him suffering everytime he goes out to pee...

Thanks for any information or tricks anyone might have eg. soaking his feet in something? I'm sure some of you have dogs that stayed out to long on a hunt or got lost for a couple days...
Old February 3, 2007, 01:15 PM   #2
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Anybody have experience with how long it takes a dog to get over frostbitten paws?
It depends on how severe the damage is. Frostbite is similar to burns and is rated the same. If he has 3rd degree frostbite, the damage is permanent. Flesh with 3rd degree frostbite or burns is dead. There is no feeling. These areas are often surrounded by 2nd degree, which is extremely painful.

Frostbite victims need the same medical attention as a burn victim. I would strongly advise having him evaluated by a vet.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old February 3, 2007, 02:15 PM   #3
FrontSight

+1 to everything Capt Charlie just said
Old February 3, 2007, 03:06 PM   #4
Eghad

I had some very minor frostbite on one foot...It wasnt pleasent.

NRA Life Member
Old February 4, 2007, 11:18 PM   #5
harleybabe69

Frostbite

When our lab got frostbite, the vet told us to wrap his paws up in strips of cloth after putting some bag balm on the bottoms -- but like they said above, depends on the severity of the situation - sounds like he still has feeling in his pads - thats a good sign, but need to watch that the pads don't crack open, bleed - causing an infection.
Old February 5, 2007, 12:12 AM   #6
buck460XVR

you don't say who it was that diagnosed the frostbite, or is it a guess. Could just be sore pads and a week is a short time to heal. There are cremes to make a dogs pads tougher, but I don't think that's the problem. Cracked pads are a hard thing for a dog to get over also. You found yourself to this forum on the computer, I'm sure if you don't want to take him to a vet, that your computer and the internet are great sources of info. I aint much of a hound man, but I have had bird dogs most of my life. I have found most of the time.... if it aint one of those hereditary things ,and the dog wants to hunt, bad feet aint gonna stop him. If they're sore, rest is a good thing. Sometimes the licking the dog does harms him more that the injury, so make sure he aint licking himself raw.....and yes this may mean bandaging his feet to keep him from licking.The hard part would be keeping him from chewin the bandages off. And then again, the dog may be just feigning his injury for the attention. They can be a lot like kids that way.
Old February 5, 2007, 10:42 AM   #7
biglabsrule

Yes, he didn't go to a vet yet as when he's inside he's completely normal. I ordererd dog booties just to hold him over untill it isn't bothering him. I realy can't see taking him to the vet as it only happens when he goes out in the snow. My thought is that it's gotta be close to my past experiences. Once you get a wound it stays sensative to cold and hot for a month or so... Ty for your thoughts though ..
Old February 5, 2007, 06:55 PM   #8
rem33

Let us know as time goes along. Had a beagle as a kid was a good pet, we spent many a hour hunting rabbits.
This thread make me think of a street in the town I was born in called "Frozen Dog Rd". Story I heard was it got so cold one winter a farmer had both his dogs freeze on the front porch. Not so sure I believe that story.