The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 1, 2006, 09:05 PM   #1
RG Stewart

Arisaka type 99 re-barrel

I have this Type 99 Arisaka which seems to be in good condition, the one exception being the bore. There is a significant rough spot (rust) approx. 10" back from the muzzle, and I don't believe it can be rehabilitated. I understand that this is not a high value firearm, but it does not appear to fall into the "last ditch" category either. It is a momento of my grandfather's service, more than anything else, but I'd like to pass it down better than I received it. I'm not very interested in retaining the 7.7 x 58 chambering, since ammo is not readily available, but maybe 7x57 would be reasonable... This is all new to me, so I am eager to get some input.

Thanks - Rg
Old August 1, 2006, 09:37 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you want to retain it as a memento of your grandfather's service, I strongly recommend you leave it in the original caliber, the way it was when he had it. 7.7 Japanese ammo is made by Norma, among others, and is expensive, but available. It is an easy cartridge to reload, using a .311 bullet, the same as the .303 British. If necessary, brass can be made out of .30-'06 though the base is a bit small. I don't know what or how bad the rough spot is, but even a moderate amount of rust can be cleaned out.

There are no pre-threaded barrels for the Type 99 so you would have to have a barrel made up, which is a fairly costly process. It becomes even more expensive if you want to retain the military sights and keep the original appearance.

While the Type 99 has not been a high value item in the past, there is a growing interest in Japanese WWII weapons and even the "last ditch" rifles are bringing substantial sums. With a new barrel in a different caliber, that rifle would be worth far less than it is now, even with the barrel problem.

In brief, my advice is to leave it alone; if you want a modern sporter, buy a decent used one. Believe me, it will be cheaper and won't wreck your grandfather's war trophy.

Jim
Old August 1, 2006, 09:47 PM   #3
hoghunting

Try shooting handloads through it for better accuracy. I have the Type 38 that has been rechambered to 6.5x257 Roberts. The barrel has rust and pits and doesn't look like much of a shooter. With handloads I consistantly get groups less than 1" @ 100 yds. It amazes me how such a nasty looking barrel can be so accurate.
Old August 1, 2006, 10:50 PM   #4
RG Stewart

Thanks for the advice, Jim. I really don't want to butcher this old guy, but it seems premature to close the curtains on it, too. I must agree that whatever value it now has would be lost with modification: both monetary and family historic value. I've been reading other posts tonight, specifically about methods for cleaning stubborn bores; I think maybe a few more days with a lot more elbow grease would be prudent. That will also give me a great hands-on tool for showing my young son why we clean 'em whenever we use 'em. Who knows? Maybe I'll be pushing lead through this barrel after all. I appreciate the reply, guys.

Thanks, RG
Old August 2, 2006, 07:23 AM   #5
hoghunting

RG,

An easier way to clean the barrel is to use the foaming cleaner Wipe-Out. Magnum rifles tend to carbon foul and I have tried many different bore cleaners. The best one and the easiest one to use is Wipe-Out. You spray it in the barrel, let is sit a couple of hours, patch it out and you're finished. No scrubbing. For a very nasty barrel you will have to repeat a few times, but it is still easier than scrubbing. If you can't find it locally, Midway and Brownells carry it.
Old August 2, 2006, 04:43 PM   #6
scgunsmith

you could try firelapping but again that may not work.
I agree with the other guys it would cost you a cpl hundred dollars in just parts not counting labour
Old August 2, 2006, 08:44 PM   #7
RG Stewart

Gentlemen,
Again, I appreciate you taking the time to help me.This is a unique project for me, simply because my other firearms are 20 to 60 years newer than this one; much better cared for, too. If I ever have the opportunity to use this old gun, (after close examination by a qualified gunsmith, of course) it will come, in part, due to your direction.

Many thanks, RG
Old August 3, 2006, 03:00 PM   #8
dfaugh

Shoot it and see. I've seen alot of milsurps with what looked like really bad barrels, that actually shot pretty well. Clean it up as much as you can, and try it out. I'd just hate to see you "ruin" a family heirloom, when there's really nothing worng with it.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old August 4, 2006, 08:01 PM   #9
Clemson

The Type 99 was made with a chrome bore, so it would be highly unusual to see pitting in one spot. Try cleaning with a proper bronze brush. I picked up a last ditch with what appeared to be a sewer pipe. What I was seeing was grease. When I swabbed the bore, the gun cleaned up like new money, and I have since shot it with Graf's ammo.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com