The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 15, 2000, 06:02 AM   #1
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Go!
Old May 15, 2000, 09:51 AM   #2
BMWGS80

First let me state that I like my snake lightly breaded and fried.Guess it's because I'm from the South. Remeber that copperheads are very "musckie" and are not good to eat. Cottenmouths are very aggressive and want your boat and everything in it. The best way to avoid a snake is to be hungry and not afraid. Lived on a farm for two years with two snake dens. Never saw one. Everybody else who was afraid of snakes saw them. The critters must have known I wanted them on the menu. Ecept when cornered/mating/shedding skin snakes will generally slither away. There are always exceptions. Never stick your hand in a hole to check it out and never step over a log without checking.

BTW to load a shovel you must first find a good cowbarn/pigfarm/horse stable.

Cheers,

ts

------------------
Old May 15, 2000, 10:20 AM   #3
dZ

rule #1

when the 7 foot Black rat snake you brought home in the pillowcase, gets 1/5 of its length around a dogwood tree, the bond becomes permanant

rule #2

7 foot black rat snakes in dogwood trees scare housecats

dZ
Old May 15, 2000, 10:22 AM   #4
dZ

rule #3
John Ross is right,
no snake ever made it out of the hog pen
Old May 15, 2000, 10:33 AM   #5
David Roberson

I live out in the country, and if I see a poisonous snake on my land, I kill it. If I'm out hunting and I see a poisonous snake, I kill it. End of story. Yeah, I know about the arguments that poisonous snakes have their place in the ecosystem, etc. I still kill 'em. I have three children and am not willing to risk their getting bitten.

Now, a non-poisonous variety has no fear from me if he stays out of my house. (And to my surprise, my wife even spared one she found in the basement one day last summer.) But a snake that has the potential to kill me or a family member should have good E&E skills. Sorry if that makes me a bad person.
Old May 15, 2000, 11:43 AM   #6
El Rojo

Should we ban guns because they can kill too? Get rid of all of the guns and no one will get killed? Snakes are not going to kill your children. Teach your children what snakes are, teach them to respect snakes and not to mess with them. See a snake, calmly leave the area, tell dad or mom.

I am sure your method works too. I feel the same way about ground squirrels. All ground squirrels are conspiring to overthrow man's God given right to rule this planet. As a result, I engage in frequent firefights with these vicious murdering vermin. Maybe that is why I am partial to snakes, they are my allies in this war to save the planet from eventual ground squirrel totalitarianism.

That is just my two cents. I would rather save my time for coyotes and squirrels than waste it on snakes.
Old May 15, 2000, 11:49 AM   #7
DOCSpanky

The only good snake is a dead snake. All the tree huggers can say what they want. I shoot'em and leave them laying there hopefully as an example to others! I have two natural fears in life.
1. Snakes, my philosiphy is that ALL snakes are poisonous, and will chase you down and bite you just to be mean! No arguing, I believe it, that settles it!
2. Lightning, horrifies me, funny that I live in the lightning capital of the world (Florida). Comes from 1 of my 2 near death experiences. I was walking from my house to the neighbors to get a cup of sugar for some cookies, I was about 6 at the time, and lightning hit the power drop on our house not 10 feet from me. Singed the hair on my face and knocked me unconcious! I feel its a justifiable fear.

------------------
I thought I'd seen it all, until a 22WMR spun a bunny 2 1/4 times in the air!
Old May 15, 2000, 02:31 PM   #8
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

So Doc, what's a good gun/caliber for lightning?
Old May 15, 2000, 05:19 PM   #9
The Mohican Sneak

Coinneach,

I'm not sure of the caliber, but I think rubber bullets may finally have a place!

------------------
>>>>>>>>------------TMS---------------->>>

Old May 15, 2000, 05:42 PM   #10
Gopher .45

DOCSpanky said "I shoot'em and leave them laying there hopefully as an example to others!" This gives snakes way too much cerebral credit. To most snakes, seeing a dead snake would cause no more of a reaction than seeing a stick. Capital punishment rammifications are just beyond their abilities.
Old May 16, 2000, 01:00 AM   #11
taco

Living on a lake in Florida I see a lot of snakes. Non-poisonous snakes I see are left alone but I'll kill every water moccasin I can. For those of you who has not had the pleasure of meeting one I can assure you that they are the most aggressive and mean snake in North America . Few years ago we had one join my wife and I while fishing in our canoe (I found out that 22LR even when fired from 2" revolver will penetrate kevlar/fiberglass canoe ) and just last summer one almost got my lab puppy. Any moccasin that I see around my house gets wacked in the head with a 7" PVC pipe and are thrown in to the lake for the turtles to feast on. Never had problems with Rattle snakes around here.
Old May 17, 2000, 01:10 AM   #12
El Rojo

It sounds like I am fortunate to only have to deal with rattlers. Moccasins and copperheads sound like a much more aggressive bunch. And just two nights ago the rattle re-appeared in a dream. He only chased me once and I easily got away, but what business did he have in that dream anyway? I guess I do need to find me a good woman.
Old May 17, 2000, 08:30 PM   #13
Glamdring

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by El Rojo:
It sounds like I am fortunate to only have to deal with rattlers. Moccasins and copperheads sound like a much more aggressive bunch. And just two nights ago the rattle re-appeared in a dream. He only chased me once and I easily got away, but what business did he have in that dream anyway? I guess I do need to find me a good woman.[/quote]

Get a pet Mongoose! Read more Kipling

(I know rattlers and cobras are not the same to a mongoose)
Old May 17, 2000, 08:51 PM   #14
El Rojo

"A good woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke."

I do remember that one from Kipling. What else were you wanting me to receive from his words?
Old May 19, 2000, 09:57 PM   #15
Herodotus

Copperheads are not agressive.The chief danger from them is their habit curling up in wood piles, under poarches, etc. I would agree wil getting rid of ones that come near you home, as I think they are creatures of habit and will not leave once they have set up shop, but ideas of getting rid of them is hopeless. They are all over the Midwest in absolutely massive numbers, but are so retiring in nature that most people who live here never see one except in a blue moon, and most city dwellers have never seen one at all.
Old May 20, 2000, 01:50 AM   #16
animal

Ditto to Herodotus on copper heads ... unless they're mating - big, rolling, swimming, ball of ugliness.
My B***h is with cottonmouths. When one comes lunging at you with mouth open (It really is very white) and smelling like 2 week old horse pee you get the idea that he really doesn't like you.
Moccasins? Ain't no such animal. It's either a copperhead, a cottonmouth, or a water snake. Water snakes look a lot like copperheads but aren't poisonous. Leave 'em alone.
Old May 20, 2000, 02:50 AM   #17
taco

Animal, you are correct sir. There is no real water moccasin, instead they are cottonmouth but areound here we commonly call cottonmouths water moccasin or just moccasin. I can assure you that I know the difference between cottonmouth and common water snake and there are plenty of cottonmouth around my lake and I kill everyone I can.
Old May 20, 2000, 03:12 AM   #18
Jeff Thomas

Hunters with juevos catch 'em live, or walk around 'em, IMHO.

No kidding ... most of the guys I've met who make a big deal out of telling folks about killing snakes are just wowing the tourists ... and / or the fools.

I can understand if you kill poisonous snakes around your home. I don't think it's entirely necessary, but I can respect the concern.

Regards from AZ ... where, as I recall, we have about 16 different rattlesnake species.
Old May 24, 2000, 11:40 PM   #19
dongun

There's only four kinds of snakes I'm afraid of: live ones and dead ones, and big ones and little ones.
Old May 24, 2000, 11:56 PM   #20
suckersrus

We don't have snakes here in Alaska but I promise you this: I see one, I kill one.
I don't care if its deadly or not.

Now if you guys will get with the program and kill ALL the snakes in Florida I'll move down there when I retire.
Old May 25, 2000, 09:20 AM   #21
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Around the house, dead rattleworm. Out in the boonies, I mostly leave them alone. Non-poisonous snakes are for teasing--bull snakes are great fun! They go totally bonkers, buzzing their tails as if they have rattles, rearing and striking...

I recall an end-of-semester party thrown by the U of Fla Art Department folks, years ago. There was a truly gorgeous young lady who went as a sort of Nature Girl. Bikini, with Spanish moss covering it. A garland of blossoms around her head. Guys would very cooly ease up to hit on her. And realize that the "stole" she was wearing was a six-foot blue indigo snake...Made me glad I was not afraid of snakes. My main problem was preventing the stealing of the snake--by my wife.

, Art
Old May 25, 2000, 12:54 PM   #22
Ron Ankeny

Killing for sport is just plain wrong. You guys are meanies.
Old May 25, 2000, 02:27 PM   #23
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Ron, from looking over the posts wherein either self-defense or raw terror is/was a factor, I'd say there's very little sport-shooting in this thread..."Fun, Hell; where's the toilet paper?"

, Art
Old May 26, 2000, 09:13 PM   #24
El Rojo

I don't kill for sport. I kill to control the population. The horrible, horrible byproduct of all this killing, it is an enjoyable experience. Man, I can't sleep at night thinking of how horrible it all is.
Old May 27, 2000, 11:17 PM   #25
Ron Ankeny

LMAO...sorry about stirring the pot. BTW, I enjoy killing snakes and I sleep better at night knowing they are scattered about the prarie in little bitty pieces instead of coiled up in my boot.