The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 1, 2002, 05:53 PM   #1
farmplinker

Winchester Model 59 - Dumb Question?

I have my dad's Winchester Model 59 shotgun, which I treasure because it was his, but I also like the feel of it. It has a fiberglass barrel with screw-in chokes (apparently one of the earliest shotguns with changeable chokes).

I would like to use the gun more than I do, but I'm a bit worried about ruining it from either too much shooting or too much (or inappropriate) cleaning. Is the fiberglass barrel delicate, or will it hold up to lots of shooting? Is there anything special I have to do to take care of the gun?

How much collector's value do you think the gun will have?

Thanks.
Old February 1, 2002, 08:30 PM   #2
Steven Mace

Farmplinker, there were 82,085 Winchester Model 59 shotguns manufactured between 1960-1965. In excellent condition a field grade version might be worth about $450-$500. Barrels were a combination of steel & fiberglass advertised as 'Win-lite'. Receivers were a light alloy. Apparently there were two problem areas for this model. You need to pay attention to the receiver by the bolt handle cutout for cracking as well as fiberglass separating on the end of the barrel. I would still consider your Model 59 a shooter versus a collectible firearm. Just pay attention to the areas I mentioned and have fun in the field.

Steve Mace