The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 24, 2016, 04:41 PM   #1
johnelmore

How do you guys do it with all that heavy equipment???

The trend nowadays is for lots of stuff and equipment. I remember in my late teens I was in the Army. We didnt have all the stuff they wear today, but what we did have was really uncomfortable and heavy. I remember these helmets which made ugly alien imprints on your head and it was very difficult to aim the M16 with them on. There were these huge painful "rucksacks" which dug right into you resulting in large ugly bruises. Thinking back. All that stuff looked good for reporters, but it put the troops in danger. I remember the scouts taught me that if I had over 30 lbs of total gear to include clothing and boots it was too much. Quite obviously whoever commanded the Army was not a Boy Scout.

Remembering the days of being a human pack mule I aim for being as light as possible. When Im on the hunt I aim to be as light as possible. If carrying concealed I go for light and sweet. I always wear sneakers designed for running like New Balance...remembering the uncomfortable boots of the Army which just slowed me down.

Whether it be on the street, camping or on the hunt the advantage goes to the guy who carries least. When you need to move best not be carrying a couple of bowling balls to slow you down...
Old November 25, 2016, 12:12 PM   #2
Glenn Dee

Bowling balls hurt ...

I'm looking at this question from the perspective of having been a policeman. I must agree with the OP. When graduating from the police academy I wore a duty belt filled with the tools of the trade (circa 1970's). Belt, regulation holster, drop boxes filled with 12 extra rounds, loop holder with another six, flashlight holder with 3 "D" cell mag-light, handcuff case with 2 S&W cuffs, night stick holder with a cocobolo stick, memorandum book, billet club, and 25 summonses, english to spanish to italian language insert, maps, penal law inserts, motor vehical violation inserts, public health law inserts, public housing inserts, where to find help inserts, directory of public shelters inserts.... an i rattled clanked, and squeeked my way around my first foot post.

Through the years I refined what I needed to carry on duty on uniform. My duty weapon with 24 spare rounds in speed loaders, one pair of handcuffs. That's it. I opted for a lighter but equally sturdy stick, threw the billy in the bottom of my locker,kept all but two summonses in the locker, threw away all the inserts, picked up a 3"C" cell maglight that I kept in my back pocket. The nightstick i tucked under my weak arm or in my strong hand.. However I did start wearing a vest and a second gun...

I look at some of today's officers and wonder WTH? what could be in all those pockets and pouches? And that stuff must weigh a ton.
Old November 25, 2016, 12:13 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...over 30 lbs of total gear..." Boy Scouts and coppers aren't PBI and do not carry everything they own plus whatever is required for a mission. Not to mention food and water plus ammo. Sometimes for days or weeks at a time.
CF Infantry guys hump packs weighing 150 pounds. Knew a small statured guy who was drunk the entire time he was out for a training stroll. Carried rye in a canteen. Said it was the only way he could deal with the pain.
"...sneakers designed for running..." Will ruin your feet on a back country hike. Those boots were designed to support your ankles and the rest of your foot. Runners do not.
"...advantage goes to the guy who carries..." What he needs or might need.
Old November 25, 2016, 06:04 PM   #4
DaleA

And then on the other end of the spectrum were the civilian backpackers who (honest to anything I saw one doing this) would file down the handle of their toothbrush to shed weight.

I have awe and admiration for the military folk and all that they do (and a 'thank you' when you see one is NOT enough to make up for all they do) and I really wonder how much and how long do you carry a load before that is ALL you are doing. That is, you aren't being alert, looking around, being ready to take a shot etc., etc.
Old November 26, 2016, 04:05 AM   #5
Deaf Smith

In today's military they have an epidemic of spiral fracture injuries. Why? To much weight carried for to long.

They took Gen. Nathaniel Bedford Forrest's advice to literally. Hence they treat GI's as pack mules.

Thing is, it does not matter how light they make the gear these days as the brass will just add more gear. Their weight limit seems to be the injury rate.

Deaf
Old November 27, 2016, 12:53 AM   #6
Aikibiker

There has been talk about using pack mules in Afghanistan. That was before the military figured it was better to spend millions developing a robotic version.

If I was doing week to ten day humps overseas I would start thinking about hiking trailers with quick disconnects.

~Joel

TFL survivor, THR member, TFL member once again!
Old November 27, 2016, 10:59 AM   #7
TRX

> hiking trailer

So got S&Gs, I type that into Google and... holy fnord, they're real!

If I was going to carry that much stuff, I'd just rent a Winnebago.
Old November 27, 2016, 10:36 PM   #8
johnwilliamson062

Goat packing.
Old November 28, 2016, 09:12 PM   #9
Mr. Hill

Ever spent a cold night in the mountains?
Old November 28, 2016, 10:16 PM   #10
TXAZ

I've been on both ends of the spectrum: Under 20 lb pack for a 3 day 30-70F degree trek (no toothbrush, just a few squirts of Toothpaste on your finger ) and getting to where camping is an SUV full of gear and staying at the Holiday Inn (Express) instead of the Marriott) after 50 years of wilderness activities.

If I'm going to spend a night in the mountains, it's not going to be in the cold.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 28, 2016, 10:49 PM   #11
armoredman

Quote:
They took Gen. Nathaniel Bedford Forrest's advice to literally. Hence they treat GI's as pack mules.
Think farther back, 107 BC and Gaius Marius, earning the legions the nickname of Marius Mules. Sorry, had to throw that out there.
Old November 29, 2016, 10:55 AM   #12
kraigwy

Quote:
Ever spent a cold night in the mountains?
A time or two.

I spent 19 years in the AK NG, most of with was in the 38th SF company, when it was disband it was the 207th Lt Recon (Abn). 90% of our training was in the winter.

Made 100 ski trips above the Arctic Circle. The coldest I remember was jumping into Galena when it was 68 Below, using the Yukon River as the DZ.

Made several jumps into the mountains, skiing out, (something civilians pay 1000s of dollars to do. Lots of Glacier work also.

You learn to go light. My ruck seldom weighted more the 30-35 lbs. That included a light weight (though bulky) down sleeping bag, a free standing 2 man tent (that you could stake in the wind or just set up on the snow). I carried lots spare socks and one spare set of long handles. I mostly carried instant oat meal, instant tea & coffee, and a bit of salt. And some candles.

I carried a revolver (my Model 28 service revolver). And would pick up some rabbits or ptarmigan.

Carried a GI mess kit, and canteen and cup. Never carried water as it would freeze. You could always get water either from over flows or melting snow.

There is never any real reason to pack a lot of crap to keep warm and comfortable.

Now days, I've forgone the heavy revolver and only carry my 642 in my pocket (unless I'm hunting of course).
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 29, 2016, 01:24 PM   #13
A J

I'm retired Army.

The amount of equipment we had to carry on our bodies during missions in Iraq was excessive. It hindered the mission and limited our performance. If I'd have had it my way, I would have ditched all four of my body armor plates. Yeah, they might save you from a bullet, but they might also kill you by reducing mobility.
Old December 4, 2016, 07:39 PM   #14
Old Bill Dibble

I am also retired from the Army. I wish we had the lightweight armor that is out to today instead if the heavy stuff. My loadout for patrol was 65 pounds. I never once wished I had less armor. Most of the time I just wished it was lighter.
"Tragedy has been and will always be with us. Somewhere right now, evil people are planning evil things. All of us will do everything meaningful, everything we can do to prevent it, but each horrible act can’t become an axe for opportunists to cleave the very Bill of Rights that binds us."