The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 3, 2016, 10:09 AM   #1
kraigwy

If this gun could talk

My 1868 (made in 1869) Springfield Trapdoor, in 50-70 has some interesting notches on the forearm, that were cut in for an unknown reason.

Would be nice to find out why.

If this gun could only talk.

The gun shoots good. The slights leave a bit to be desired, but using the BSZ I had no problem whacking a gong at 300 yards.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 3, 2016, 03:01 PM   #2
SIGSHR

I hope you fired only BP loads. The notches are curious, they look rather evenly spaced. No doubt added after that rifle left Uncle Sam's service.
Old June 3, 2016, 03:02 PM   #3
CLC

Interesting, I love trench art guns. Any idea on the history based on the serial number?
Old June 3, 2016, 03:38 PM   #4
Hawg

Probably a kid in the 30's or 40's.
Old June 4, 2016, 11:40 AM   #5
Dragonflydf

I think the same thing when I look at some of the rifles in my collection, such as the 1873 Carbine, K98, Type 38 and 99 Arisaka. I know the 98 and Arisaka s are bring backs and would be interesting to hear the stories they could tell.
Old June 4, 2016, 05:00 PM   #6
emcon5

I have a 1917 Gew98 that was converted to a K98 at some point, then later rebarreled to 7.62 NATO by Israel. It has Imperial, post WW1, and Nazi era German as well as IDF markings, plus some that are a mystery.

I bet it could tell some stories.

Shoots pretty well too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWOePGiaBcM
Old June 7, 2016, 06:00 AM   #7
BoogieMan

Very cool rifle. I have sat and wondered the same thing about several of my guns. I have had/have a few Mann M1895, FN Mauser, Arisaka, etc... I dont think that my mind can fully grasp the carnage that they were likely part of. Or the good times that some of my hunting rifles (mainly Dad's) had a part of. Not sure if thats my primary reason for loving guns or if its for the pure engineering and machining of them.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old June 7, 2016, 06:33 AM   #8
mavracer

Yep I wish they could tell stories I have a 11/42 M1 carbine I'd love to know where it's been and I have a 1917 S&W army that has what is very clearly a cut notch in the grip
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old June 7, 2016, 07:43 AM   #9
Vt.birdhunter

Im probably way off, but those notches could be a hunters deer tally or similar.
Old June 7, 2016, 10:23 AM   #10
BoogieMan

Quote:
Im probably way off, but those notches could be a hunters deer tally or similar
Deer, Bear, Mexican Soldiers, # of times the target was missed, # of owners. Could be anything. But it adds to the story. Also, thinking that people who used a rifle in that time frame likely wouldnt notch the number of deer they shot.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old June 16, 2016, 05:16 PM   #11
johnh80233

Another 'If this gun coulf talk.'

Hi I also have a gun with some history. Some of it I know, because I found this revolver and other pictured items at the site of "The Battle of Summit Springs" July 11, 1869. The battle happened near Atwood, Colorado. After getting permission to metal detect on the private property. My two hunting pardoners and I spent many weekends hunting this site. There had been many other hunters at the site also before us. The revolver is a 44 caliber 1860 Army Colt. It is fully loaded, un cocked. It has been written that a Cheyenne Indian by the name of Two Crows was in his teepee talking with another person. They begin hearing people yelling and shouting 'people are coming'. Thinking that is was just a scouting party coming in, they paid if no mind at first. After the yelling got louder Two Crows looked to see what was happening. he saw the U. S. Cavalry charging in to the camp. Two Crows picked up a rope, a bridle, a revolver and his medicine war club. He threw away the revolver and war club. Two Crows caught a horse and helped some of his people escape. Because the revolver is fully loaded and un cocked I believe that the revolver I found is the one Two Crows had. No war club was found in the area that I know of. The war club may not have had any metal on it to aid in finding it. I also believe (have not yet proved) Two Crows got this revolver from the 'Kidder Massacre" that happened on June 20-30th 1867. It is known that Two Crows was at the Kidder Massacre and Beecher Island fight.

I have been trying to find records of the revolvers issued to the members if the Kidder Massacre. The Serial number on the revolver is 130842. It has a brass trigger guard with that number on it. Colt informed me that their records for that time period had been burned in a fire.

If any one knows where and how to find what revolvers were issued the each soldier I would appreciate the help. They were with the 2nd Cavalry, Company M, Ft. McPherson. Second Lieutenant Lyman S. Kidder 2nd Cavalry.

I have had many people tell me that they never kept serial number records at that time. I don't agree with that. Why else did they put serial numbers on weapons? I have a picture of the revolver on my computer, but don't know how to post it.
Old June 17, 2016, 09:48 AM   #12
kraigwy

Quote:
I have had many people tell me that they never kept serial number records at that time. I don't agree with that. Why else did they put serial numbers on weapons? I have a picture of the revolver on my computer, but don't know how to post it.

johnh80233
That was a bit before my time but I think keeping track of serial numbers in the military now is more strict, BUT, its not accurate.

When I got to Vietnam, I was handed a M16A1, the serial number was recorded, and I was told I'd better have the same rifle to turn in when my tour was over.

So I hung on to it. When I was the New Guy, with my unit, they took my rifle and gave me the M-60.

I carried it a while, then it was given to another New Guy, I took his rifle. We go somewhere where its hot and they decide I should have the gun. So I traded the '16 for the M-60 (which was a different guy then I traded before). This occurred several times during my tour. I don't recall ever getting the same '16, or the same M-60.

There was no keeping track of serial numbers then, just as long as you didn't get caught taking one home, they didn't care what your serial number was.

I don't see it reasonable to track a firearm during war time, in 1869 nor 1968.

The only exception, if someone carved their name in the stock of the rifle. Which did occur.

Serial numbers notwithstanding, there have been firearms traced from battle to battle in the Mountain West.

There is this young lady (a daughter of a one of our County Commissioners who I used as a tech. advisor in my self defense classes.

When she was obtaining her Masters in Forensic Firearm Investigation in stead of doing a thesis, she did a field project where she would examine spent bullets recovered from different battlefields in the mountain west.

Buy examine the bullets she could determine if the same rifle was used in more then one fight. One she traced through 4 battles, the last one being the Little Big Horn.

That would prove the same rifle was used, but there was no way to tell who used it. Nor what happened to that rifle as none of the firearms she tested matched the bullets.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 17, 2016, 02:11 PM   #13
SIGSHR

Very casual attitude towards firearms when I was Across The Pond, "combat loss", wounded, KIA, went on R&R, promoted. whatever. Stateside, Germany, garrison rules apply. Weapons issuance records are kept at unit level-company, battery, troop, etc. and as with so much military paperwork are discarded PDQ, hence trying to trace a weapon to an individual, can be done, but more a matter of good luck.
Old June 17, 2016, 04:30 PM   #14
Hawg

Quote:
Colt may have had records of which dept it went to before the fire but very few quartermasters kept any kind of firearms records except for how many of what type.
Old June 30, 2016, 03:20 PM   #15
Pathfinder45

I would guess that those notches in the Springfield are in all probability a record of Indians killed.