The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2015, 02:52 PM   #26
AllenJ

Quote:
I've put 20 to 30 shots in a row through one hole shooting at targets 1000 yards away
Bart, benchresters have problems breaking the 3" mark at 1k, how are you able to do so good?
Old March 8, 2015, 02:33 PM   #27
Bart B.

Allen, that hole was the one at the muzzle end of the barrel.

Thought I'd put another perspective on one hole groups; all rifle's shoot zero MOA/inch at the muzzle.

That aside, I've seen a batch of test targets at Sierra Bullets plant in California with 10-shot groups of a production run of Sierra 168 HPMK's in their 100 yard test range. All were about 1/6th to 1/8th inch extreme spread; one hole groups in their own regard. I was given that special tour of their facility when I asked their ballistic tech why they full length sized all their test cases. He said that's the only resizing technique possible to get those groups one after another after another. He was the one that convinced me that neck only sizing was for ne'er do wells.
Old March 8, 2015, 02:52 PM   #28
AllenJ

Quote:
Allen, that hole was the one at the muzzle end of the barrel.
I knew there had a to a twist I was not seeing, nice work sir
Old March 9, 2015, 08:35 AM   #29
Will-j

Compressed loads

SKIZ.... One IMPORTANT issue with compressed loads is whether the bullet will 'back out ' of the case due to compression pressure overriding neck tension on the bullet. Load three or four rounds to listed OAL and check them again a couple days later to see if the OAL has lengthened. If so, then the compressed load is not safe and could cause severe pressure problems along with the possibility of jamming a bullet into the rifling and possibly wrecking your rifle.
I know.....I learned from experience.

WILL
Old March 9, 2015, 01:12 PM   #30
Longshot4

Consistent volume less air gap seams to me to be the way to go. Loading data will often give you powders that volume closely match the bottle neck case. I load my K Hornet to best volume with a fine ball powder to seat the bullet on top. No air gap and the powder doesn't move. Makes a nice accurate load. Why hassle with packing powder. It just slows down the process.
Old March 9, 2015, 02:34 PM   #31
Metal god

Quote:
One IMPORTANT issue with compressed loads is whether the bullet will 'back out ' of the case due to compression pressure overriding neck tension on the bullet. Load three or four rounds to listed OAL and check them again a couple days later to see if the OAL has lengthened.
This is what I've been thinking about when it comes to compressed loads . Now I'm just thinking out loud here . I'd think even if the bullet did not move . Maybe if the bullet is right on the cusp of letting go . Heavy recoil my push it over the edge and compressed loads still in the mag MAY let go of the bullet a tad .

just a thought

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 10, 2015, 03:09 PM   #32
cw308

Bart B, you got me with that one. I found myself staring at the screen.