The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2015, 09:07 PM   #1
9miller

alliant be86

I know this is a newish powder, so I decided to experiment with it in 9mm today to see how flash suppresant is. I worked up loads with 124gr GDHP from 5.4gr-6.2gr (CAUTION, ALLIANT LISTS A MAX LOAD OF 5.8GR OF BE-86 FOR THIS BULLET) and compared it to 6.0gr of unique behind the same bullet and everything else the same (CAUTION, THIS AGAIN, IS OVER MAX PUBLISHED LOAD DATA)
Even the 5.4gr load had way more muzzle flash than the unique, which I was quite surprised, and gained flash with each successive load increment of .2gr.
Is this powder just the newest marketing hype like the G2 RIP round, or does it actually reduce the muzzle flash in other Calibers?
I was quite disappointed in today's experiment to say the least, but Want to try it in other calibers possibly. Have any of you had good experience with it?

9miller
Old March 8, 2015, 09:34 PM   #2
rmelton

9miller
Over on the THE High Road forum Paul from Alliant talks about the muzzle flash of BE-86. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=760289