The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 12, 2013, 04:37 PM   #26
CADILLAC HOOSIER

I've had a P3-AT for a number of years and have carried it in everything from a business suit to a bathing suit with Uncle Mike's pocket holster. I shoot quite a bit and run 50 rounds thru it every few months. It is so not noticible and has functioned so well. It suceeded a P32 which I still have, same experience. They aren't my XD40 down by the seat, but sure do have their place in my pocket and my heart!! Load safe, shoot safe, HOOSIER
Old February 12, 2013, 05:06 PM   #27
bonefamily

Quote:
the only comment I have is the lcp hurts to shoot.
I fired 20 rounds out of one, and my hand hurt for 3 days.
could feel it in the web of my hand.
so I went for the 238.
I'm used to shooting a PF-9 so I think I may be a bit prepared for the little LCP I'll most likely get a grip sleeve and maybe use the pinky ext. for it.
Old February 12, 2013, 06:14 PM   #28
CSHammond

The TCP works well for me, and under $200 even better. Haven't had any malfunctions, but have only about 200 rounds through it so far.
Old February 12, 2013, 09:17 PM   #29
rs97

Quote:
Yes, the Sig and Kahr are not on the list as they are out of my price range. I wanted to know if I missed any to be sure I covered all available that I could afford - which is in $300 ball park.
Kahr just brought out CW380, a less expensive version of P380. Its MSRP is $230 less than regular P380. Not sure what the street price would be, but much closer to your price limit.
http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CW380.asp

I have absolutely no experience with Kahrs, but they do have very loyal following. Personally I would take the Sig, but it is definitely not a $300 gun and SA-only is not for everyone.
Old February 12, 2013, 09:29 PM   #30
Kreyzhorse

My LCP has been flawless. The trigger pull is long but smooth and overall it is very easy to shoot accurately.

The gun is easy to carry, and conceal, and it's a Ruger. They have great customer service and stand behind their products. You really can't go wrong with a LCP.
Old February 12, 2013, 09:40 PM   #31
bonefamily

Thanks for the assurance, Kreyzhorse.

Quote:
Kahr just brought out CW380, a less expensive version of P380. Its MSRP is $230 less than regular P380. Not sure what the street price would be, but much closer to your price limit.

I have absolutely no experience with Kahrs, but they do have very loyal following. Personally I would take the Sig, but it is definitely not a $300 gun and SA-only is not for everyone.
I didn't know this and am very interested in it. Some of my family carries Kahr and loves them.

I actually don't mind a SA trigger at all. The Sig is on my list but way on down the road when monies allow.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:46 AM   #32
cbuck

i actually just picked up my 380 pocket pistol today. after looking at all the ones you mentioned with the exception of the DB and hell cat because of horrible reviews this is what led me to end up taking home my new lcl this afternoon.

Kel Tec P-3AT- felt extremely similar to the lcp, little bit rougher grip texture for a better purchase on the weapon but the trigger was more gritty. also the magazine was finicky and would only stay in the gun when put in the magwell just right which made me nervous.

Taurus TCP- best trigger and good feel in the hand however it was used and ive had a bad experience with a taurus autoloader in the past. also i couldnt justify paying more than the brand new kel tec for a used taurus that may have been sold for being unreliable

Masterpiece Arms 380- smallest of the group, maybe just me but it didnt feel like i could get a good grip on it. im 6' 3" and have large hands so may work if you have smaller hands and car get a better purchase on it.

Ruger LCP- have 2 other rugers, sr9c and sr22, with the sr9c as the gun i carry about half the time so ill admit i have a bias towards rugers on top of all their excellent reviews. good trigger, came with magazine finger extension to help fit my hand and for $20 extra i got the factory engraved model.

As an added note though i put 43rds through it after i got it and it did have 2 failures to go into full battery. however i do not clean my new guns before they go to the range for the first time and have consistently had issues with any brand of firearm during the first 50rds which is within my 200rd break in period. i expect this to work itself out after cleaning it and another 150rds down the pipe as has happened with all my other firearms.
Old February 13, 2013, 03:29 AM   #33
AndyWest

My 2c. Buy an LCP and these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1151194422
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/178779
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/115445

And you're done.
Old February 13, 2013, 06:39 AM   #34
thedudeabides

The bodyguard is the least offensive to use (trigger, recoil) and most gun-like of the bunch.

I think that the biggest problem with 380 is making it scalable and reliable. My LCP would FTF, double feed, jam, and beat the hell out of my trigger finger because I couldn't ever grip the small gun correctly.

Kahr makes a good 380, but their reliability is spotty.

I recently bought 2 bodyguards (one for the wife and one for myself) at Gander Mountain a week ago. Hers has a laser. Both are very reliable for the 300 rounds I've put through them.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:52 AM   #35
bonefamily

Thanks all - I did end up going with the LCP.

Quote:
Taurus TCP- best trigger and good feel in the hand however it was used and ive had a bad experience with a taurus autoloader in the past. also i couldnt justify paying more than the brand new kel tec for a used taurus that may have been sold for being unreliable
Yikes! All the TCP's I've seen have cost less new than the P-3AT's new. No way should a used TCP be more than a new P-3AT unless it had a laser installed on it.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:05 AM   #36
10851Man

Bought a P-12 Grendel in 1992 as an on-duty backup gun. Nice pocket gun. The Kel-Tec grew out of this design and it is the only 'Micro' pistol I have experience with. My Mom bought a Kel-Tec 9 X 19mm and it is nice....
Old February 13, 2013, 10:38 AM   #37
bonefamily

Thanks for the links, AndyWest. How does the heavier Wolff recoil spring function with standard factory loads?
Old February 13, 2013, 11:19 AM   #38
AndyWest

bonefamily:

Smart question. I was hesitant about a 13lb spring too, but it works great with standard loads and really softens the bite. If you've shot an LCP, consider how far and hard it ejects and the (much) heavier spring makes sense. If you're still reluctant buy the 11lb or the 3-pack.

Coupled with the Hogue grips, it really makes the LCP a sweet, easy shooter. A long way from the hand-biter it's born as.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:56 AM   #39
rlc323

Another thanks to AndyWest for the link to the Houge slip on.

I reloaded a few 800 fps 95 grain and it really tamed the recoil for target shooting with the LCP. Federal factory ammo 95gr. was running an average 970 on my chrono.
Old February 13, 2013, 02:32 PM   #40
bonefamily

Thanks, AndyWest. I will surely give them a try. One more question regarding the spring upgrade - should the LCP be broken in, or fired for a few mags before changing the springs out or is it good to go from the begining?

Last edited by bonefamily; February 13, 2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old February 13, 2013, 03:41 PM   #41
AndyWest

Bone you're fine replacing the spring straightaway. Of course, carefully clean and lube your LCP per the manual before shooting. If you're not 100% on the 13lb spring, keep an eye on this pack:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/757441

BTW ignore the included firing pin spring. But do be careful to pair the inside and outside recoil springs properly. And make sure the widened end of the spring goes front. This is SO annoying if you forget it

Repeating myself here, but the Hogue grip is at LEAST as important as the spring, IMO.
Old February 13, 2013, 03:56 PM   #42
cohoskip

I had an LCP with laser. For me it was very uncomfortable to shoot. It was, however, easy to carry. I purchased a Colt Mustang to replace it. It is practically the same size. It uses the wallet holster that my LCP did.
Compared to the LCP it shoots like a dream. It is a little heavier, but not really a noticeable difference, and does cost more. I'm very happy with the change...

NRA Life Member
Old February 13, 2013, 04:01 PM   #43
kahrguy

The taurus TCP has been upgraded thru time. You want model with a C in the serial number. Thats the latest model.

The prices do un from aroun $185 lgs price for a oxid black carbon steel slide model with one mag to the stainless steel modelwith pouch and two mags for 250 and the black SS ,two mags with pouch for 260 bucks.

They do have a slide hold open on last round fired and by far the best trigger of any micro pistol and most others too. Easier to shoot well one handed. Not nearly as much felt recoil as a pf-9 ether. Good pistol when a micro is needed . Its also not ammo picky with hollow points.

If I need a sig p238 sized handgun I might as well carry a 9mm.
Old February 14, 2013, 02:37 AM   #44
Cheapshooter

I just don't get it!

All the complaints about the supposedly sharp recoil of the LCP. My "shake down" with Elaie when I first got her was with 100 rounds of WWB FMJ ammo, maybe another 40 of UMC FMJ, and then 20 Speer Good Dots. No pain at all, and I don't remember what else I shot that day, but probably several hundred rounds of other handguns.
The only thing that starts to hurt a little after 10 rounds or so is my Contender 10" 45-70
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 14, 2013, 02:39 PM   #45
bonefamily

Picked up Ms. Elsie today! Haven't got to the range yet, hopefully in a week or two, but the quality, fit, and finish sure seems top notch.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:24 PM   #46
shootniron

LCP...sweet, it is just a sweet and flawless little gun.
Old February 15, 2013, 12:08 PM   #47
Walt Sherrill

I've had both the Kel-Tec P3AT and the Ruger LCP. The only difference in function that I noticed was that the trigger guard in the P3AT was smaller than the LCP, and I'd have some painful range sessions with the P3AT (from my trigger finger hitting the front of the 'guard when firing). That trigger guard and my long fingers just didn't get along. Otherwise, the Ruger was prettier, but I don't know that was really better.

Another option you should consider is the Kahr .380
. Kahr guns tend to have better triggers and handle recoil better than the other small guns.

I've since decided against .380 for self defense and now have a Kahr CM9 and KT PF9 in a pocket holster. The CM9 is more pleasant to shoot, but I haven't decided to drop the PF-9, yet.

Most of them can be unpleasant to shoot, unless you do something to reduce the recoil. I use KTADDONS grip material, and it makes a big difference on the PF-9; I haven't tried that on the CM9; may not need it.

I haven't tried the Ruger "copy" of the PF-9, yet.
Old February 15, 2013, 02:30 PM   #48
bonefamily

Thanks for the recommendation of the Kahr .380, Walt - however, I already went with the LCP. Maybe in the future I may add another pocket 380 or change from the LCP and will certainly keep the Kahr in mind. Budget was a concern in this purchase as well and the Kahr was outside of that. Though, I did just recently learn of the newer model, more affordable Kahr 380 which may have fit in my price range so I will need to look more into them for future purchases.
Old February 15, 2013, 07:33 PM   #49
steveNChunter

I think you did right by getting the LCP. I love mine. Its not a target pistol by any means but it does what its designed to do very well. The crimson trace is a good investment for the LCP since the sights are almost non-existant. Be thankful you stayed away from the TCP. I traded a shotgun for one awhile back and I absolutely hated the fact that if you even slightly short stroke the trigger the gun WILL NOT FIRE until you manually rack the slide and load another round. That could be the difference in life or death in a self defense situation. Huge design flaw by Taurus. I've shot a P38T and it was ok, but I prefer the design and fit&finish of the LCP. Plus the fact that I'm partial to Ruger