The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 3, 2013, 04:59 AM   #26
tristar viper

So bonefamily, are you still considering one of these guns to replace your PF-9?
Old February 3, 2013, 05:24 AM   #27
dalegribble

i have a taurus 709 slim. no problems and it shoots well. very happy with it, now i want its big brother the pt-111
Old February 3, 2013, 05:59 AM   #28
tristar viper

me too. The new Gen 2 PT111 is definitely on my list.
Old February 3, 2013, 09:45 AM   #29
bonefamily

Not to replace the PF-9 but still wanting to get one of them. I replaced the PF-9 with a SCCY CPX-2 and like it better that the PF-9. The only Slim I found locally was sold when I went back to check it out more closely, obviously.
Old February 3, 2013, 01:19 PM   #30
tristar viper

I put another 100 rounds through this gun today, trouble free. That's about 350 total now. Even my buddy, who absolutely despises polymer pistols, shot it and said "man...that's not too bad". I took that as a compliment.
Old February 8, 2013, 08:16 PM   #31
ccwnut

I joined the "Taurus Bunch"!

Specifically, with the 709 Slim. I bought it Wednesday night. I shot two full mags of Blazer Brass 115 gr. FMJ. Every shot fired, not a single hitch. I'd been looking and slim carry pistols for some time now, and I finally got what I've been after. This won't completely replace my Glock 26 as my EDC, but rather be an option. Strong likelihood of it being a secondary weapon when the Glock takes primary.
Old February 8, 2013, 08:58 PM   #32
Justice06RR

Congrats.

I miss my 709Slim; sold it a little while ago when funds where tight. Its a great little pistol and also works well for pocket carry if you choose that option--with spacious pockets of course.

happy shooting!
Old February 8, 2013, 10:04 PM   #33
ccwnut

I carry IWB, currently in a Desantis TuckThis II. I'm not much for pocket carrying anything. I intend to order a CrossBreed (www.crossbreedholsters.com) soon.
Old February 9, 2013, 08:16 AM   #34
tristar viper

I'm really glad to hear so many satisfied people with this gun. I've shot the Shield, and LC9, Sig 290, Kahr PM 9, and I could have chosen any of them. I would not trade this Taurus for any of those. I would still like to have a 290RS IN ADDITION to this 709, but I say that if anyone looking for a single stack 9 for carry overlooks or purposely dismisses the 709, they are making a huge mistake.
Going to look at the PT740 today. Seems the only guns that appeal to me these days (other than the HK USPC and 290RS) are Tauruses.
Old February 9, 2013, 08:57 AM   #35
SIMP

I enjoyed reading this thread. Why does Taurus tend to get "frowned" upon at times? I've never shot one but I think their pistols look really nice. I'd love to try one someday.
Old February 9, 2013, 09:42 AM   #36
Paul81

I'm going to purchase one hopefully in the next 2 weeks. I havnt had a chance to shoot one but, it sure feels comfortable in my hands.

This is going my first handgun, well were getting a P95 for the house and the 709 to carry.
Everyone's been telling me just keep looking, you'll know when you find the one you want. The moment I picked it up, I knew. Lol
Old February 9, 2013, 10:14 AM   #37
bonefamily

Quote:
I enjoyed reading this thread. Why does Taurus tend to get "frowned" upon at times? I've never shot one but I think their pistols look really nice. I'd love to try one someday.
SIMP - There's a thread going on right now about Taurus:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515275

However, you need to use your own thoughts on this and make your own assessment. I have owned one Taurus and have had no troubles with it - it performed and fired great. It was only sold to fund another purchase as my wife found that she does not like DAO triggers. She prefers SA, but that Taurus had a great DA pull. I am currently looking for a pocket .380 and the TCP is at the top of my list with others.
Old February 9, 2013, 02:28 PM   #38
ccwnut

It may be my first, but it definitely won't be my last.

My last Taurus purchase. I hope to pick up the 738 TCP (.380 ACP) and the Model 650 CIA Revolver (.357 Magnum) soon. I also want a Judge, but only to shoot the crap out of!
Old February 10, 2013, 02:06 PM   #39
bonefamily

Just found and bought a Slim in 9mm today myself! Now the ship to FFL wait.....
Old February 10, 2013, 04:06 PM   #40
rightside

I enjoy mine very much. It goes absolutely every where, that I can legally carry, with me. That being said , it did take awhile to master the trigger. it's different .Breaks much closer to the rear of the trigger guard than most pistols I'm used to.I wear it in a pocket holster where my wallet used to ride. It really disappears!
Old February 12, 2013, 04:55 AM   #41
Justice06RR

Quote:
Going to look at the PT740 today. Seems the only guns that appeal to me these days (other than the HK USPC and 290RS) are Tauruses.
Tristar, just a small warning with the 740Slim: it has a much stouter recoil than the 709 because it is a 40caliber in the same exact profile.

I owned both the 740 and 709; I bought the 740Slim first in Stainless silver slide and although I loved that pistol, the recoil was too much in my opinion being such a light and slim handgun. I sold the 740 and a week later bought a 709Slim in black. The 709's recoil is much more manageable, so if you already have the 709 I would just stay with that. With the 740, you also lose 1 round capacity; the 709 is 7+1, while the 740 is only 6+1.

I loved both pistols. The only difference really was that the recoil of the 740 felt too much for me, and I was more comfortable shooting the 709.

Just my 2c. you can still buy the 740Slim if you really feel compelled to get a larger caliber than 9mm. I initially bought my 740Slim because I also had a Smith and Wesson M&P40, so i had 2 pistols that shared the same caliber and it was easier to stock up on the same ammo.

Customary pic