The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 4, 2012, 08:19 PM   #26
Shotgun693

Quote:
Revolvers require a little more TLC than autos and cannot stand up to abuse like auto's, but given equal care I don't see any reason why one should not be able to last as long as the other everything being equal.
That's funny. I shoot Colt 1873 Models. While I have 2 new ones, I've shot some of these guns that were built before the War, the Spanish-American War that is. You shot any autos that old?
Old April 4, 2012, 08:30 PM   #27
PT-92

Quote:
Shotgun693

I shoot Colt 1873 Models. While I have 2 new ones, I've shot some of these guns that were built before the War, the Spanish-American War that is. You shot any autos that old?
Really--How did you come across a situation like that (very few people get that opportunity as classic good to pristine guns are worth lots of money and thus rarely fired)? Come to think of it, didn't they just astronomically appraise one on the NRA's "Guns & Gold" show on The Outdoor Channel? I hope you took pictures or even filmed it.

John Browning was just starting to design semis in the late 19th century (I believe?) as that platform (for handguns) was in its infancy even in Europe. Yet there are videos of made in 1911 1911's still being fired today.

-Cheers

Last edited by PT-92; April 4, 2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: added material
Old April 5, 2012, 05:45 PM   #28
Shotgun693

I've been shooting and handling Colt SAA for 30 years. If a gun doesn't have 'history' and is a gray gun there's no point in not shooting it. I've shot a few guns with some history too just because I had the chance. Yeah, I've shot some old 1911s too but they were war era guns, WWI.
Old April 5, 2012, 07:46 PM   #29
Deja vu

I am of the belief that a revolver will typically out last a similar quality auto, but for a typical shooter either should last more than there life time.

Just my opinion...

my father has an old Colt Dragoon (its black powder) that thing is about 150 years old and he still shoots it on special occasions. Other than getting new grips he has not had to change much on it (the old, original ones fell apart on him when I was a kid). A former owner carved his initials in to the cylinder and it has a lot of wear on it but it still functions well. He had it praised once and it was not worth as much as I thought it would be but it is still a good working gun.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...

Last edited by Deja vu; April 5, 2012 at 07:51 PM.

Tags
revolver , round count