The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 16, 2012, 05:46 PM   #1
kealil

lee autodisk problems

Hello all,

Straight to the point, I have been using the lee autodisk for the entire time that I have been reloading. I have never experienced a problem with it before now. I went to go reload some 9mm today and suddenly I'm getting some crazy variations in drops. every 5th drop or so is crazy low. Going from 4.2gns to .6gns.

Ive already cleaned every tube and moving part and still no dice. Any ideas?
Old February 16, 2012, 06:33 PM   #2
Eazmo

You make a change in powders?
what powder are you running?
Are you getting static clinging?
Old February 16, 2012, 06:55 PM   #3
kealil

No change in powders, always red dot. I dont think its static cling because there isnt any powder in the tube. Even when I cleaned it there wasn't anything there. Ive heard of red dot.having issues with other people but for variations like this...I'm not convinced
Old February 16, 2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Check the elastomeric wiper and make sure it's not torn.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 16, 2012, 07:27 PM   #5
GTOne

If everything is assembled correctly and you haven't changed anything then try rubbing everything down inside and out with a dryer sheet. Check for debri in the powder in the reservoir. I've heard of weird things like shell casings to bullets to anything one might find on a loading bench getting in there and causing variances that large.
Old February 16, 2012, 10:28 PM   #6
dickttx

I was getting variations like that when I first started reloading again after several years layoff.
Finally realized it was my scale. I had it on the reloading bench and working the press jiggled it around. Moved it to a separate bench and, viola! my "powder measure" straightened up.