The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 26, 2007, 09:08 PM   #1
robc

Good place for this thread?

Wasn't sure where to post this. I know many of you will roll your eyes at this and say I should learn to reload. I just don't have the patience for it. Too many hobbies already. That being the case, I DO like to shoot little holes in pieces of paper a long ways away. For all of my guns I try multiple kinds of ammo, and continue to try more, to see what each gun shoots best. Here's the question... Since I don't really need 20 rounds to see if my gun likes a bullet, where can I get 5-10 rounds? It would save me a lot of $ in the long run. I bet I have 25-30 boxes of half-eaten ammo. Most of it is stuff that just didn't group good for the gun I got it for. Just a thought. Any ideas?
Old January 26, 2007, 09:29 PM   #2
rem33

my .02 worth

No idea where you can buy 5 or 10 rounds and you without time I don't have a clue what to tell ya except, if you have 25 to 30 half boxes of centerfire rifle ammo and you got it cheap, say $15 a box that's, say, 25 times half a box which would be $7.50 that comes to $187.50, which will buy a pretty Good reloading outfit.
I guess you'll have to make some time to reload or just keep spending the money and still not really get the loads you probably want, or go plinking that ammo will still be fun.
Old January 26, 2007, 09:39 PM   #3
robc

That's an awsome point, rem33. I never think about it when it's 20$ here and 35$ there. Plus, the price of factory ammo is going up rather dramatically. It is time for me to step up. I'll be in the reloading archives for a while!! Thanks
Old January 27, 2007, 12:21 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Even without changing your sight-in, there's some distance at which all that ammo will allow "minute of pie plate" overall grouping.

You can use this stray ammo to practice eye-finger coordination from various field positions, with or without a hasty rest.

As far as reloading equipment, I've found a lot of mine in good used condition at gun shows, and have saved a bunch of money. I load for a dozen or so rifle and pistol cartridges. Some of my loading gear is over fifty years old, and it works just fine.

Art
Old January 27, 2007, 01:20 PM   #5
pax

Find a new shooter and bring them along to the range with you. Let them shoot the "accurate but not perfect for this gun" ammunition.

pax
Old February 4, 2007, 11:23 AM   #6
piercfh

Find a friend that shoots the same caliber and go in on the purchases with them. Or if you have a local hunting store they may even take the 10 or 15 round boxes in and sell them. Depends on where you live. But really get a freind who shoots the same thing and share. I did that with my 10fp Savage .308, and my buddy's kimber .308. They dont like the same ammo, but between the two of us we had several different options to choose from.