The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which .380?
Kel-Tec P3AT 32 18.29%
Ruger LCP 83 47.43%
Lorcin 0 0%
Bersa Thunder 41 23.43%
Smith&Wesson Bodyguard 26 14.86%
Cobra Patriot 2 1.14%
Micro DesertEagle 3 1.71%
Hi-Point 1 0.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 11, 2011, 02:09 PM   #26
dgludwig

Quote:
What is your favorite .380 pistol for concealed carry?
This is a "loaded" question for me in the sense that I make a distinction between merely concealed and concealed in a pocket. Imo, a semi-pistol that I intend to tote in my pocket should be as compact as possible and weigh no more than ten ounces or so. For this singular purpose, I carry a Ruger LCP and have found it to be a reliable, if somewhat uncomfortable to shoot for long periods at a time, pistol. For pocket revolvers, sixteen ounces is my self-imposed, admittedly subjective, arbitrary limit and a Colt Cobra is my pick for revolver pocket carry duty.
If concealed carry with a semi-auto pistol involves a holster, I will "step-up" to at least a 9mm chambering because I want as much "punch" as practically possible in a concealed handgun being employed for self-defense. A well-designed holster affixed to an appropriate belt can comfortably conceal a pistol the size of a Smith Model 6906 or even larger. Why limit yourself to a .380 when you don't have to?
Old April 11, 2011, 02:56 PM   #27
2cooltoolz

Well, the only one I have ever owned is the LCP. I'd like to try the Kahr P380. I really like Kahr.
If you're not getting it for pocket carry, get a small 9X19.
Old April 11, 2011, 03:03 PM   #28
Usertag

I chose the Ruger LCP. But i would personally go with the Kahr P380.
Old April 11, 2011, 03:04 PM   #29
ice monkey

I voted Ruger & Kel-Tec, but carry a Sig P232. It’s not a pocket gun, but it just conceals sooo well with the right holster. Moreover, if you can’t make hits with a P232 well … Huston, we have a problem!
Old April 11, 2011, 03:08 PM   #30
M2011A1

I'm very happy with my Taurus TCP in my wallet holster. Very concealable, shoots straight and has been reliable for me so far (~300 rounds).
Old April 11, 2011, 04:30 PM   #31
predecessor

Quote:
Why limit yourself to a .380 when you don't have to?
Why limit yourself to a 9MM when you don't have to?
Old April 11, 2011, 04:31 PM   #32
predecessor

Quote:
Why limit yourself to a 9MM when you don't have to?
Why limit yourself to a .40S&W when you don't have to?
Old April 11, 2011, 04:52 PM   #33
dgludwig

Quote:
Why limit yourself to a 9MM (and/or .40 S&W) when you don't have to?
I don't: A SIG Model 220 Carry chambered in .45 ACP goes along for the ride when the situation and circumstance calls for it and the climate (mode of dress) makes carrying it practical.
Old April 11, 2011, 04:57 PM   #34
ice monkey

Why limit yourself period? Bazooka anyone?
Old April 11, 2011, 05:20 PM   #35
dgludwig

.22 Short anyone?
Old April 11, 2011, 05:23 PM   #36
schnarrgj

Bersa thunder for both me and my wife. However when required because of dress etc, the P3AT. Love the Bersas.
Old April 11, 2011, 05:33 PM   #37
C.L.

I carry a SIG P238. I like it because its basically a small 1911. Full size night sights, two tone with rosewood panels. Shoots well too.

The LCP is a hit or miss with people. Ive got a buddy that absolutely loves it, but me and another buddy despises it. The big thing that kills me is the trigger pull is a mile long and i really have no idea when its going to fire and even though i have small hands, i think its a little small.

I think i may pick up a Kimber Solo for CC when i get back from deployment.
Old April 11, 2011, 05:50 PM   #38
dgludwig

Quote:
i think its a little small.
You're right, the LCP is small-but it's supposed to be small, with all the attendant disadvantages small handguns pose. But there will always be trade-offs when shooting a pistol designed to be a pocket pistol. It's just how it is, the Law of Reciprocity remains in effect.
Old April 11, 2011, 05:57 PM   #39
Glockfan35

I already have the Glock 26 as my primary carry, but I like the .380 pistols for those times when carrying my Glock isn't practical. Once I own both of the Smith&Wesson Bodyguard series, I'll probably carry one or both of those more than the Glock! I could just go "TOTALLY RAMBO" and carry all 3 at once!!
Old April 11, 2011, 07:39 PM   #40
Bucks Gun Shop

I am a big fan of the Ruger LCP, especially if coupled with the CT Laser... The S&W Bodyguard is a close second, but I am not a big fan of the activation switch for the laser.
Old April 11, 2011, 07:59 PM   #41
proxpilot

i pull a 150mm Howitzer behind my ride
Old April 11, 2011, 08:31 PM   #42
gglass

The LCP is a hard act to follow. It is not the best in any category, but it brings all of the essentials together in one efficient and well constructed package.

Essentials:
  • Solid construction - I have fired most of the .380's on the market today, and none really have a leg up on the LCP.
  • Fit & finish - Nothing about the LCP screams for a need for improvement. It is just well constructed all around.
  • Accuracy - For its size, the LCP is far more accurate than it deserves to be. Just check out Todd G. at pistol-training.com hitting steel plates at 75-yards with an LCP... Yikes!
  • Trigger - The weakest aspect of the LCP IMHO, is the long and heavy trigger. That being said, it does what it is intended to do and goes bang every time. It also allows for pocket carry without any additional safeties.

Old April 11, 2011, 08:36 PM   #43
Geezerbiker

You left out none of the above. There are plenty other .380s out there. I use to shoot with a guy that had a nice H&K .380 and I bought my daughter a Russian Makarov .380 both are nice but I'm partial to the Mak...

BTW, I love the pic, 8's and aces the dead man's hand...

Tony
Old April 11, 2011, 08:39 PM   #44
murphjup

Seecamp LWS-380....

Old April 11, 2011, 11:15 PM   #45
Terry A

I don't carry a .380 but my wife does, a Kel-Tec P3AT that she likes alot. So I voted by proxy for that!
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old April 11, 2011, 11:20 PM   #46
gyvel

Quote:
Oh, the blasphemy! The granddaddy of all pocket .380 pistols is not mentioned!
You mean the FN/Browning 1910??? Absolutely the best pocket .380 on earth.
Old April 11, 2011, 11:45 PM   #47
Smaug

Try a Bersa

Same price range as a P3AT, but easy to shoot well.

Find a Bersa owner in your area, and I bet he'll let you have a go. I know I would. (where are you?)

FWIW: If I could have any 380, it would be a hard choice between Beretta 85 and Walther PPK/S. But the Bersa Thunder 380 is similar to the PPK/S.

They are slick little guns. Once I shot it, I immediately became so confident in my accuracy that I stopped worrying myself to death about whether .380 would be "enough medicine."

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old April 11, 2011, 11:56 PM   #48
Eagle Eye

Why have anything smaller than a 50 cal?

Just kidding........I don't get to vote....Taurus for me...it works and it fits.
Old April 12, 2011, 12:10 AM   #49
dreamweaver

Quote:
What - no Colt Mustangs or Governments or Sig P238s - whats up with that. For me there isn't a nicer .380 to shoot than one of these fine examples.
+1
Old April 12, 2011, 12:25 AM   #50
Ringolevio

Colt Mustang fan

Like several other posters, I wonder why the Colt Mustang didn't make it onto the list. It's my favorite concealable .380.

As I've mentioned in other posts, for years I carried an AMT .380 BackUp. It was a great gun, reliable and easily-concealable.

But the design had several drawbacks for me. Without an exposed hammer, there was no way to de-cock it but to eject the mag, eject the round in the chamber, and then dry-fire. Also, stripping required driving a pin out.

So I switched to a Colt Mustang, which is essentially the same size, but which is like a mini-1911. There's no grip safety, and no barrel bushing, but otherwise it's laid out like and strips like a 1911, w/o tools. I replaced the plastic recoil spring guide with a metal one, and it's performed well for many years, with either hardball or hollowpoints. My BackUp was stainless; I wouldn't mind having a stainless Mustang, but the only one I've ever had is blued.

I can carry it in a holster, in a fanny-pack (worn in front, under an untucked shirt), or just in my front trouser pocket (I can have my hand in that pocket, gripping the gun, and still look "casual"). I have even (as described in another post) concealed it in my hat! I generally carry it in Condition 2 and cock the Commander-style hammer as I draw.

Last edited by Ringolevio; April 12, 2011 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Clarification

Tags
380 , conceal carry , pistols