The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 28, 2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Itchy Llama

Savage .32

I have a Savage .32 – 1907. I have fired it a few times but I’m afraid of something happening to it and not being able to have it repaired. Is repairing something like this possible. I don’t know what could ever go wrong with it but the fear is always there. Are parts available? I have seen a few magazines for sale but would like to know of reputable places/individuals for parts and service. Should I just say screw it and shoot it?! Any help would be appreciated…
Old December 28, 2012, 05:03 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Some parts are available, but the gun is more a collector piece today than a shooting gun. If I wanted a .32 caliber pistol for carry, I think I would find a Colt M1903 in so-so exterior shape or a post-WWII Walther PP. The main Savage part that seems to get damaged is the grips, which are hard rubber and have turned brittle with age. Removing them requires bending them and that often results in breakage.

Jim
Old December 31, 2012, 12:41 PM   #3
RickB

I've owned a 1907 for 25 years, and have never fired it. In another thread, I swore I'd shoot it in 2013, but probably not more than a mag or two, then back in the safe. I looked a Numrich/Gun Parts, and while they list 15-20 parts, most are currently unavailable.
Old December 31, 2012, 05:10 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

I should probably do a demo video of how to make replacement grips. Basically, you make a mold that copies the original, then cast a new set from Flexane 94, which is a black 2-part chemically hardened polyurethane that does a darn good imitation of hard rubber.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 1, 2013, 09:03 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

It would probably be more useful if someone came up with a compound that could be used to repair nicks and chips in hard rubber grips. I have never found anything that will work. Some rubber compounds will fill a hole but can't be checkered or shaped.

Jim
Old January 2, 2013, 09:13 AM   #6
PetahW

I had the same dilemma with a pristine .380 Remington Model 51, that I got for a song (w/box, papers, etc) - and wanted to shoot/CCW.

I ended up selling it (for three songs ), and buying a more practical CCW/shooter.

Old January 3, 2013, 03:56 PM   #7
L_Killkenny

Is a working paperweight or wallhanger better than a non-working one? If all you are doing is owning a gun ot look at who cares if it works or is repairable. The gun was made to fired, do it.