The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 14, 2001, 03:26 PM   #1
Bacchus

Shot my first reloads today!

Went for a quick trip to the range this morning with my first reloads of 38 special in tow. Shot all of them. No problems. I think I understand better how some people say that they shoot to reload, as I found myself shooting some factory ammo as well because I was looking forward to reloading the brass.

I'm so glad that I started reloading. Thanks for all of the advice over the past several months.
Old October 14, 2001, 03:37 PM   #2
Blarneystone

Bacchus,

How did your Reloads seem? Are they light? I shot some more yesterday myself, and they are definately light - very little recoil - no clean cuts in the paper, they leave these big rips (chunks) in the target, like if you forced your pinky finger through the target. Using unique powder and 125gr. bullets 38spec.

I am getting new powder dippers this week and hope to increase the power of mine.

I have some from last week that I've been afraid to shoot, because the bullets were set .06 of an inch below the minimum OAL. Would anyone shoot these? (My bullet puller isn't in yet). I wonder since my standard round is at the minimum OAL and it is STILL so mild, maybe these that are set deeper would be okay to shoot. Any opinions?

It is fun though!!
Old October 14, 2001, 05:26 PM   #3
Freedom in theSkies

Quote:
I have some from last week that I've been afraid to shoot, because the bullets were set .06 of an inch below the minimum OAL. Would anyone shoot these? (My bullet puller isn't in yet). I wonder since my standard round is at the minimum OAL and it is STILL so mild, maybe these that are set deeper would be okay to shoot. Any opinions?
Baccus,
What is your powder load?
If it is light, I'd try firing one thru a revolver in good shape.
Check the case after for signs of overpressure, as well as checking for a hard extraction.
Old October 15, 2001, 09:20 AM   #4
Bacchus

I'm using 158 grain RNL bullets over Alliant's 2400 powder in a revolver with 4" barrel. Just like Johnny Guest noted on another thread, there was some unburned powder in the cases and the barrel. Not a lot and pretty easy to clean. The loads shot well, about the same as some factory 158s that I also tested. Shot to same point of aim. I decided to go with 158 grain bullets because I also want to try reloading 357 mag. Extraction was fine and no signs of excessive pressure (I used the lowest charge noted: 6.9 grains). Doubt I'll even increase it, as I like these light.
Old October 16, 2001, 07:38 PM   #5
max251

blarneystone,

try using a wadcutter or a semiwadcutter designed lead bullet, this will give you clean cut holes in your targets.
Old October 17, 2001, 12:38 AM   #6
Freedom in theSkies

Baccus,
You would most likely find that if you increase the powder load, the powder would burn more completely. I shot some very light loads out of my S & W model 19-5 last winter and noticed lots of powder on the snow in front of my bench. With the warmer loads, there was none.
Cheerz...
Old October 17, 2001, 01:02 AM   #7
maxwayne

I remember firing my first reloads, also 38's, about 30 years ago. Welcome to a great hobby.
Old October 17, 2001, 01:52 AM   #8
Jager1

Bacchus,

First, allow me to say welcome to the ranks. You have experienced what many shooters overlook in the fine hobby of shooting firearms.

Crafting your own loads is a labor of love. I am just finishing 500 rounds of .38 Special myself. I will never be an expert reloader, since such an animal does not exist.

I am an eternal novice, in full realization that the myriad of components and firearms leaves me forever in awe of the infinite possibilities.

Have fun.