The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 14, 2001, 07:28 AM   #1
KPS

Which Reloading Kit For Beginner?

I never thought of reloading yet because I only own one firearm right now But after trying to find ammo for it lately I realize that besides saving money it also allows you to have fresh ammo on hand when the stores don't.Couls someone recommend a reloading kit for a beginner?I would be reloading .45ACP and 12 gauge and maybe .308 within the next few months.

Thanks,
Kris
Old October 14, 2001, 07:57 AM   #2
zanthope

IIRC, there's no press around that'll do pistol, rifle and shotgun. You'll need a separate operation for the big shot shells.

I started with a Lee Anniversary ($79.00) set for pistol & rifle that came with a good book, a scale, powder measure, primer tool, and a press. You'll need to buy caliber-specific dies ($25.00) and a Lee Factory Crimping Die for pistol rounds. ($20.00, also caliber-specific.) This set-up will reload all the pistol and rifle calibers.

You'll hear a lot about Dillon progressives and such on this board. They're great presses, but expensive and complicated. Start with a cheapy like this Lee single-stage set and work your way up to the big guys. You need to see and learn from all the mistakes that you and the machinery can make before you move up to high-volume automation.

For shotgun, the stores I go to emphasize the MEC stuff......don't know anything about them, except their equipment seems to be reasonably priced. I think I've seen a starter set for about $100.00
Old October 14, 2001, 09:17 AM   #3
KPS

Thanks.I was looking at the Lee Anniversary kit.Good price and reputation.I have read that beginners should stay away from the progressive presses.
Old October 14, 2001, 10:09 AM   #4
Hal

While I personally recommend both Lee equipment, and also that beginners stay away from progressives, it's more from the standpoint of $$$, than anything else. Reloading on a progressive doesn't have to more complex or difficult than using a single stage, or a turret press like Lee offers.
I've been turning out reloads in .38, 9mm, .44 and ,45 colt and .45 acp for 20 years on my Lee turret press. IIRC, my original cost for just the press was $50 or $60 way back then. It stil works fine after years of service. When it does finally go, or maybe sooner if I decide to use it as a dedicated to one calber press, I plan on replacing it with a Dillon 550 simply because I'm able to afford one. In the grand scheme of things though, the cost of the press is just a small part of the total cost. The anniversary kit is a good econonical way to start. Lee carbide dies are among the best bang for the buck going, and the Lee factory crimp die is outstanding.

zanthope is correct, you'll need a seperate setup for shot shells.
Old October 14, 2001, 01:00 PM   #5
Guyon

Can't believe nobody's mentioned the RCBS Rockchucker kit. After doing my homework, that's the one I'm going for as soon as I find the cash. (Been busy spending all my spare cash on long guns.)

It will upgrade to progressive with a Piggyback II add on, and most folks say a Rockchucker will last a lifetime. Features listed at the RCBS page are:

-Heavy-duty cast-iron construction for easy case resizing
-1 in. ram held in place by 12 1/2 sq. in. of ram-bearing surface
-Toggle block of ductile iron
-Compound leverage system
-Pins ground from hardened steel
-1 1/4" x 12 thread for shotshell reloading dies and Piggyback II
-7/8" x 14 thread adapter for standard dies and accessories
-Milled slot and setscrews accept optional RCBS auto primer feed

Now, I'm pretty curious about the two different thread sizes. If the 1 1/4" threads will fit shotshell reloading dies, can't you use this press for shotshell dies as well as standard dies with the thread adapter? Or does this mean that the Rockchucker comes in two different versions, one for shotshells and one for standard dies?

Either way, you can't go wrong with the Rockchucker. Natchez usually has some good prices, though the bastards won't sell to me here in TN (or to my mom in AL, or to my uncle in GA....ggggrrrrr!!!!).
Old October 14, 2001, 01:09 PM   #6
Guyon

Found a couple of threads over at shooters.com that might interest you:

http://talk.shooters.com/room_47/6076.cfm#30555

http://talk.shooters.com/room_49/1730.cfm#5769
Old October 14, 2001, 03:45 PM   #7
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

Folks,

We have a Handloading and Reloading Forum.

The folks over there should be of more help than you'll find here in the General Forum.

So, I'll move this thread over there.
Old October 14, 2001, 06:33 PM   #8
Steve Smith

KPS, although I'm a Dillon 50B user, and also own a Lyman Spartan (single stage) I believe that the first press a new handloader should consider is a good quality turret press (I have a Lyman Spart-T). They are strong press that won't break the bank, but will be considerably faster than a single stage. Later, if you get a progressive, you can still use the turret for unique operations.

As far as the shotshell press goes, you can look for an old Pacific press. A friend just purchased one for $25 and Hornady has all the bushings, so it's supportable. They're old, but work great...he cranked out about 75 shells in about 35 minutes his first time using it.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old October 14, 2001, 09:53 PM   #9
300winguy

The lee reloading kit is a great way to start, as others have said. About four months ago I decided to get into reloading. I was advised by many to get something other than lee. However I bought the lee anivesary kit and have had a great time reloading since. It is a very affordable and great way to learn about reloading. I can't think of anything bad to say about the lee kit.
Old October 15, 2001, 05:52 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

BUY BEST BUY ONCE

Suggest higher satisfaction with RCBS or REDDING starter kits; much higher quality, longer life expectancy.
Old October 15, 2001, 11:22 AM   #11
Steve Smith

I forgot to add this...search Ebay for great deals.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old October 16, 2001, 06:05 AM   #12
Dogjaw

Hit the search button up in the right corner and search for Dillon. My first and only press for pistol and rifle has been a Dillon. I suggest you look at Hornady, RCBS, and Dillon progressives since your shooting pistol.
Try this site: http://dillonprecision.com
Old October 17, 2001, 05:32 AM   #13
KPS

Natchez has the Rockchucker reloading kit for $119 on sale and that is quite a bit cheaper than everyone elses price.Is that a decent kit or should I hold off for a turret press kit?
Old October 17, 2001, 07:10 PM   #14
weagle

KPS, I would also recommend the Lee Anniversry Kit. I got one last year and I love it. Very strong, very simple and great instructions. Also it comes with everything except the dies and the powder and bullet components. Check out www.leeprecision.com. Good Luck, Weagle
Old October 17, 2001, 09:52 PM   #15
linngl

If thats $119 for the Master Reloading Kit then it is an excellent buy, but I bet its a misprint or just the press.
Old October 18, 2001, 05:22 AM   #16
KPS

catalog misprint

Yep, checked their website and see the kit is $219.95.Not the $119.95 advertised in their flyer.
Old October 18, 2001, 06:09 AM   #17
Redneck2

Also may try

Try ihuntishoot.com. It's my local dealer and they had some close-outs on RCBS. Stuff was WAY cheap. When they were pricing, they took Midway & Cabella's lowest price and took another 25-30% off that. They have complete kits, dies, case cleaners, etc. They UPS anywhere. Phone is 219-462-4412.

Also, you might search around for a Dillon dealer in your area. I have a dealer that gets "used" in sometimes. I bought a Dillon that was older but never used. Got it for 1/3rd of new price.