The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 13, 2001, 06:38 PM   #1
CHAINSAW

Reloading for an AR15-Questions

I have reloaded for many years but was wondering about the AR-15 that I am going to be purchasing. It will be an OLY .223 plinker

I plan on buying Redding SB dies, and have an abundance of WC846 powder.

I was planning to purchase some once fired 5.56mm Brass from Pats Reloading off the net.

Any ideas on Bullets and Bullet weight would be appreciated along with any other info for reloading in an AR that you might want to pass on would be appreciated. Thanks--------chainsaw
Old October 13, 2001, 09:40 PM   #2
Nukem

I load for all my AR's on a 650 Dillon. My only real tip is to make sure you trim your brass and use something like a RCBS case mic to set your sizing die with. Watch your OAL so they will feed in the mags.
I never have a problem as long as I do the above.
Old October 13, 2001, 10:43 PM   #3
Steve Smith

Use the search function and search for SB or small base dies. You'll see that most of us believe that SB dies are not typically necessary, unless using RCBS brand dies.

SB dies wear out your brass. With proper full length non SB sizing, you should get 10 to 12 reloads from your brass.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old October 14, 2001, 03:19 PM   #4
LIProgun

As a former SB die use, I suggest you look into the RCBS "X-Die" instead.

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.
Old October 14, 2001, 05:14 PM   #5
Freedom in theSkies

I have loaded a lot of .223 with Hornady 55gr. FMJBT w/cannelure. Reasonably priced- decently accurate.
I sell them in my store for $7.95 per 100
I have also loaded Hornady 55gr SP w/cannelure and sell them for the same price. They are great for plinking and varminting.

I use CCI primers, and Hodgdon 4198, H322 & H355 powder.
Old October 15, 2001, 11:51 AM   #6
TangoRomeo

Ditto on the Small Base dies. Shouldn't be necessary if you are ordering Redding dies.-TR
Old October 15, 2001, 05:25 PM   #7
Poodleshooter

This is very important with AR's: What twist rate will your barrel be? The bullet weight and style that you can use will be dictated by the twist
Some of the most common twists:
1x7" 50-80gr bullets will properly stabilize. Keep any varmint or expanding bullets in the 50-60gr range under 2800fps or the jackets will tear off.
1x9" 50-70gr bullets
1x12" 40-60gr bullets

1x9" is about the best twist,IMHO, if you want a plinker. For FMJ plinking ammo, try IMI 55gr FMJ's from Wideners.
have fun!
Old October 15, 2001, 05:43 PM   #8
pwiz

Plinking .223 ammo

I go with the others on the SB die, there is no need for it. Just get a normal set or a S type set, reading is great but the others will do OK. I also would go the 55 gr bullet weight for plinking. If you get serious, you can go 69, 77 or even 80gr. I don't know about the WC 846 powder, I use Varget and Ball C with good results. I don't have any experience with the RCBS X die, but you should check your case length after several loadings,

pwiz
Old October 15, 2001, 09:03 PM   #9
CHAINSAW

I appreciate all the info. I plan on punching paper and to have the ar just in case. I have other rifles for critter gitters. I believe the Oly is a 1 in 9 twist rate.

pwiz, Surplus WC846 uses BLC-2 reloading data as a starting point.---------Chainsaw
Old October 16, 2001, 01:21 AM   #10
Adventurer_96

Good Luck!

It will be 6 to 9 months until I get my AR so I'll be forced to load 7.62x39 in the meantime.

At Thunderbird Cartridge Co. in Phoenix they have milsurp 5.56 brass, Lake City stuff several years, cleaned at $19.99 per thousand. I think it's a decent price from what I've seen, if you don't mind the crimped pockets. Heck, I almost bought some just because I MIGHT need it one day. They may charge $50 for shipping but then again they may not.

On the topic of dies, has anyone used Lee dies to reload for the .223/5.56? Better yet, are there dies out there where you don't need to do the case lube ritual?

Check Six.
Old October 16, 2001, 07:20 PM   #11
Nukem

If you're looking for .223 brass, this is some of the best once fired, processed out there. You can throw your primer pocket swager in the garbage.
http://www.rvow.com/

I've bought 4500 pieces from them so far.
Old October 16, 2001, 07:59 PM   #12
Zoom Wilson

CHAINSAW, I don't reload (yet), so I can't give much advise on reloading, but I do have an Oly rifle. My Oly, like all of the others I've seen, has a very tight chamber. My bolt doesn't reliably close when using Wolf ammo or reloads. If the SB dies (again I don't reload, so I don't even know what that stands for) sets the shoulder back, then it might be a necessary first step with your once fired brass.

This isn't a knock on Oly, because the rifle should be more accurate, and you won't work the brass that much harder than on a normal rifle because it won't expand as much with the tight chamber. It is just a pain when shooting reloads.z
Old October 17, 2001, 10:07 AM   #13
Poodleshooter

Quote:
On the topic of dies, has anyone used Lee dies to reload for the .223/5.56? Better yet, are there dies out there where you don't need to do the case lube ritual?
I've used the Lee .223 dies. Stuck a case in one while testing a new lube (it failed). The decapper rod may be unbreakable, but the collet that retains it has to be so tight, that it puts gouges in the decapping rod (otherwise, it just pushes up again). After I pounded the case, out, the rod was so scratched up that I couldn't get it to stay in the die anymore. Basically, it's a PITA to remove a stuck case from Lees, in that you have to drill and tap, or deal with the annoying collet/decap rod assembly. If you don't screw up like I did, however, you can buy a FL Lee RGB set for only $10. I can break 3 or 4 sets for the price of most other makers. They resize perfectly too. They just don't break down very easily.
Old October 17, 2001, 10:27 AM   #14
Steve Smith

All size dies except for BR dies will set the shoulder back if you allow them to. SB (small base) sizes the entire case down smaller, but specifically the base, which is toward the head.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old October 17, 2001, 01:04 PM   #15
Keith J

Lee dies

I've had great luck with Lee dies. The decapper rod is secured by a pipe thread collet and its best to put a good lube on the threads to make snugging the rod easy. Yes, you do have to tighten but I've never put a ding in the rod from tightening the collet. All of my decap rods are quite rough so they probably grip better.

My dies are old, being the first year production for 7/8-14 dies by Lee.

In any setup, you really need to check set-back. Most dies will provide for a case shorter than allowed by SAAMI. I found this out the hard way as I had a complete head sep in my .22 Hornet. No gas vented and the frag was easily removed with a 7mm bore brush. Just stick it in and pull out.
Old October 18, 2001, 09:29 PM   #16
CHAINSAW

Zoom, Can you tell me more about the ammo problems you have had with your Oly? Is this a common problem with other makes of AR's also? I didn't purchase my AR yet and am wondering about the other makes? Thanks again for all the replies------Chainsaw