The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 10, 2001, 12:13 PM   #1
VTR996

Pullin Bullets

I have loaded about 50 rounds of .45acp and did not seat the bullet far enough for the cartridge to slide all the way in the cyl. of my ruger convertible....I know...slow down and pay attention...but they were to specs. according to my manual. It is a hard cast 230gr round nose,,I've used the lee factory crimp on them and tried to seat them a little deeper so it would chamber, but that just pushed the lead out,so I'll have to pull bullets...Would it hurt anything to seat them a little deeper? I'm using 5.4gr 231 powder
Old October 10, 2001, 02:37 PM   #2
kurt IA.

You said Lee factory crimp. Is this a roll crimp? You should use a taper crimp, as the 45 ACP headspaces on the mouth of the case.
Old October 10, 2001, 02:52 PM   #3
Fred

I'm a little confused

since the Lee Factory Crimp die does not seat bullets at all. It only post sizes the case and crimps (for .45ACP it does taper crimp). If you need to seat bullets deeper, then you'll need to use a bullet seating die, followed by the Lee FC as a separate step. You could, of course, use the seating die to seat and crimp in one operation, but I believe the separate steps and use of the FC die are better.
Old October 10, 2001, 02:56 PM   #4
Long Path

He's shooting it from his revolver. What would thus be wrong with a roll crimp? I've not used the Lee factory crimp for pistol rounds-- does it give the pinched collet-style crimp, too?

What's your C.O.A.L.?

--L.P.
Old October 10, 2001, 03:07 PM   #5
VTR996

Sorry, I wasn't too clear after reading my post. The bullet does not have a crimp groove,which isn't really needed since it's lead,but the shoulder above the lube groove catches the cyl. instead of the case mouth..thus I was wondering if it would hurt anything if I seated them just to the shoulder so the case mouth makes contact w/the cyl. instead of the lead shoulder.

I don't think the lee factory crimp is a roll crimp. It looks like a taper crimp on the bullet,,not like the heavy roll crimp for the .45colt w/ heavy loads.
Old October 10, 2001, 05:51 PM   #6
maxwayne

Are you saying the round is too long, or is the brass too big to fit in the cylinder?
Old October 11, 2001, 07:50 AM   #7
MADISON

Too Long for Revolver

IF your reload is to long...
Simply [1] back off the crimp. [2] Find a factory round or/ GI dummy round and then set the seater die to that length. [3] Check the length in the cylinder.[4] Re-Crimp.
Old October 11, 2001, 01:46 PM   #8
VTR996

Okay,,here I go,,(pictures would be better) these are already loaded rounds.COL is 1.26, but with this bullet the shoulder stick up about .10...thus not letting the case mouth contact the cylinder. If I seat the bullet to COL 1.2 the case mouth can space on the cylinder,,but what would that do pressure wise?? andything to worry about??? Do I need to reduce my load??? They show warnings about not reducing 231 below a minimum charge in bold letters and I don't want to hurt my ruger or myself.

When I tried to seat the already crimped bullets that were too long COL the lead bulged out and wouldn't chamber...I wasn't aware of a tool that removes the crimp....What is it???