The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 14, 2010, 07:25 PM   #1
DanJ

Bipod for Savage model 12 BVSS

I have about a dozen firearms but have never attached a bipod. Could someone give me idiot-proof advice on buying and attaching a bipod for my Savage Model 12 BVSS (.223)? Thanks for any hints.

Do you expect the thief who holds a gun to your head to release you because you mean well? I'm sure you mean well when you want to ban guns.
Old January 16, 2010, 02:30 AM   #2
bamaranger

Harris

I'm a fan of the Harris bipod. The look alike imports are not of the same quality of materials and it tells w/ constant or rough use. For occasional sport shoot they might be OK.

I think a swivel model adds cost, but offers an essential advantage of being able to level the rifle. I do not like the notched legs, but many do.

Height? 6-9" is lower and more stable, as well as lighter if you leave it on the rifle. But 9-13" might get you over an obstruction that the shorty would not.

The mother of all bipods is the Sinclair F-class, which costs 2-3x more than a Harris, and is not very portable, but is akin to a bench you lay behind.

Hold'em and squeez'em