The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 17, 2001, 04:31 PM   #1
TVDean

Could someone explain "belted" vs non-belted rifles cases?

I want to be able to reload my rifle cartridges. I have a Dillion 550B. Why am I hearing that "non-belted" are preferable to "belted"?

To be more specific, I'm interested in the 300 WM, but hear good things of the 300 WSM. Is the WSM easier to reload and why?

Thanks
Old October 17, 2001, 04:45 PM   #2
Keith J

Belted cartridges have a small belt or raised rib about 1/8 wide by about 1/64 high just forward of the extractor groove. These headspace on the belt. Its a leftover from the double rifle days when the cartridges had rims. Rimless was getting popular but there needed to be a little more substantial grip for the extractor. The belt provided it.

These days, its useless. Look at the .300 Remington Ultra Mag. No belt as no bolt action repeater ever needed one. It was a marketing ploy and it worked for 50 years.

As far as loading on a 550, the WSM is your best bet. Anything longer and it will be difficult.
Old October 18, 2001, 08:58 AM   #3
TVDean

......more difficult to reload?

Thanks Keith, did I hear that the belted variety were harder to reload, what would be the reason?

I called Dillon, they said "no problem" reloading 30-06, 300WM on the 550.