The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 13, 2001, 10:42 PM   #1
sox

Newbie wants to start-.45 or 9mm

This is for the experienced guys, I am going to start to reload. I shoot both .45acp and 9mm. Which is easier to start with for a newbie like myself? Also, what is the cost for say 100 rounds of .45acp fmj? Thank you.
Old October 13, 2001, 11:29 PM   #2
Chemistry

I learned by starting on the 9 mm cartridge.

My first loads were with Alliant's Power Pistol. This powder gives you excellent velocities while keeping pressures down.

Also, it's very easy to see when you have stuck 6.3 grains of Alliant Power Pistol in a 9 mm case; double charging a 9 mm case with this stuff is impossible to do without blatantly noticing the overflowing powder.

My first loads were with Remington 124 grain FMJ. Easy bullet to load. However, my other choices of components were not exactly ideal for the first time loader. I had lots of once-fired Sellier and Bellot 9 mm brass, which has a tighter primer pocket than most other brands of brass, and I was using Fiocchi's leadless small pistol primers, which tend to be slightly larger than the other brands.

In addition to this, I did not have my RL550B mounted on a secure benchtop, instead trying to load my ammo on a MidwayUSA portable bench top that would wobble every time I actuated the crank.

I would suggest trying Winchester primers, since they seem to slide more easily into the primer pockets than other brands.
Old October 14, 2001, 12:49 AM   #3
Clark

If I were to start out in 9mm now, knowing what I know, I would use 124 gr jacketed bullets, Power Pistol powder, RP primed brass, and a Lee Single stage press.

In 45: Power Pistol again.
Old October 14, 2001, 06:10 AM   #4
Dogjaw

I'd start reloading the .45 first. Why? Because those suckers cost a lot more than 9mm from the factory. Really, flip a coin. There is really do difference in effort and ability for loading each. Keep it simple and use what's in your reloading manual and have fun.
Old October 14, 2001, 06:17 AM   #5
maxwayne

I think that 45's are much easier to load. Those 9's seem so tiny. Also 9mm is so cheap now that I am shooting Blazer for $2.99 per box. You can same lots of money loading 45's.
Old October 14, 2001, 05:13 PM   #6
DialONE911

.45ACP is the best round to start with. It is more forgiving, you save more money and the components are easy to work with.

Depending on your sources, you can load 50 230gr fmj rounds for $8.00, but with 200gr lsw bullets you can cut that in half.
Old October 14, 2001, 05:20 PM   #7
Freedom in theSkies

I tend to agree that the .45 is a bigger cost savings to reload.
Montana gold 200 gr. jacketed bullets a very inexpensive and I prefer 6.8gr of Unique under them. Winchester primers fit nicely in the Winchester cases that I use.
The cases tend to be easier to handle than 9mm as well.
Old October 15, 2001, 06:08 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

AFTER MAKING A MILLION

Suggest starting with 45ACP; easier to hold pieces.

W231, IMI cases, CCI300, 230g LRN/FMJ, OAL 1.255-1.260".
Old October 16, 2001, 01:35 AM   #9
Adventurer_96

I've only been reloading for a few months now, and I load both 9mm and .45, mainly because I hoarded all of my brass for years and I have a few thousand 9mm and almost a thousand .45 cases. I think they're both equally easy to load, but now I'm trying to find a load in 9mm my Beretta likes to shoot. My 1911 is quite happy with 4.0 gr Red Dot over a 200 gr SWC and shoots it accurately.

I agree with the .45 as far as being more economical to reload. Just look at Midway's sale on Winchester cheapie 9mm ammo, and the prices for .45 components! The only drawback which I've experienced is that there's a lot more volume in a .45 to fill with powder, and consequently a lot more room for variation in charges depending on your method of filling the cases.

What do you shoot more? If you shoot 50 9mm a week and 500 .45's, that could also be a factor.

Check Six.