The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 10, 2001, 05:20 PM   #1
J.T.King

Are Lasercast too hard for 45LC?

Hey guys!

I have nearly all my supplies to load for 45LC now: two pounds of Universal Clays, three pounds of W296, Three thousand CCI primers, two thousand starline nickel brass, and two hundered Hornady 250gr XTP magnums for the high-power stuff...

But I am still at a loss for lower power cowboy/plinking bullets. SASS rules state lower than 1000fps in non-jacketed(non-plated?) lead only, 1400fps out of a rifle. I was pretty much sold on the lasercast bullets by oregon, but I am still a bit concerned that I will get gas-cutting (sic?) if that hard cast bullet is too hard, and massive leading will occur.

Are they too hard for say 800-900fps from a 5 1/2" barrel? or howabout 1200-1300 from a 20" carbine barrel?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

JT
Old October 10, 2001, 06:47 PM   #2
grunewaj

I don't shoot cowboy, so I can't be sure how it will work in your gun, but I understand that Laser Cast bullets will not lead even at high velocities. According to their website (http://www.laser-cast.com) they claim "No leading, even at jacketed velocities." I have heard very good things about them.

Another avenue you could take is Berry's plated bullets (http://www.berrysmfg.com). They claim their copper plated bullets are good up to 1200 fps.
Hope this helps.
Jim
The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten, that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods.

-- H. L. Mencken
Old October 10, 2001, 07:19 PM   #3
Robert the41MagFan

I've been shooting Oregon Trail Cast 255 grain LSWC bullets in my Marlin at low velocity and have had no problems with leading. Have only had the occasional hang-up in the action, but I'm also using the wrong bullet design. Marlin rifles don't like SWC bullets. Shoot the same load through my revolver and no leading.

Shoot just about every cartridge that Oregon Trail makes bullets for at high, medium and low velocity and have never had problems with accuracy or leading. Just stay away from magnum primers and you'll do just fine.

Robert
Old October 12, 2001, 11:59 AM   #4
Cheapo

They work just fine for me in .38 Special, at velocities similar to most .45 Colt loads.

I've read technical data indicating that even alloys harder than the Oregon Trail bullets will still obturate or obdurate or whatever that slugging effect is under accelleration rates experienced at as low as 12,000 psi.

Even black powder generates 15,000 psi, IIRC.

Shoot 'em and enjoy! I would be amazed if you got any gas-cutting (which is, IMO, a vastly over-rated "problem").
Old October 13, 2001, 03:20 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

DATA

Hodgdon has a Cowboy Load pamphlet.

Try 7.5g Universal under a 250-255g lead something-or-other from Laser-Cast and be happy.