The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2001, 05:23 AM   #1
doc raven

starting loads for 44 superblackhawk

I have just purchased a superblackhawk 10 1/2" 44mag and am seeking a good load for 180gr and 240gr jhp projectiles. I have 180gr XTPs and 240gr Speer JHPs. I am not looking for a ridiculously heavy load, just one that delivers good projectile expansion.
The loads are for self defence..and before anyone says anything...I already have two Para P14 45s, four Colt 1911 45s and several 357 smith revolvers. I was just given the Ruger and couldnt see the point in having the gun if I didnt have any ammo loaded for it.
Normally I would go to the range and spend hours load testing until I found a good load but at the moment I dont have any transport so if someone could help me out here with a starting point I would be grateful!
I will be testing the loads for expansion and penetration..but i was just looking for a starting point. I only have access to aussie powders but their burning rate is nearly identical to winchester powders.
I shoot a hell of a lot of 45 colt, 45 acp and 357mag, about 25000 rounds per year. but i have never used a 44 mag so thats why I was after some starting loads to try.
Old October 11, 2001, 04:57 PM   #2
Poodleshooter

Check here: http://pdf.winchester.com/reloadersmanual_ni.pdf
Winchester loading manual. Also, I think some of our Hodgdon powders are made down under. They're sold as "Mul-somethingorother" Mulwex maybe? Anyway, www.hodgdon.com for their load data.
Old October 11, 2001, 11:14 PM   #3
doc raven

thanks Poodleshooter...Love the handle!!