The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2013, 09:46 AM   #1
RockingReloading

Ar15 .223remington rounds

Iam setup to reload ar15 remington rounds i was checking to see if the bullets fit the casings good and the bullets (Nosler .224 35gr ) will not fit the casings tight enough to be crimped. What can i do ? what could i do to use these bullets to load the round?
Old March 23, 2013, 01:31 PM   #2
steelman762

You have put the casings through the full length resizing die first I assume?You are sure the bullets are .224? You should not crimp them if there is no canalure cut in them. That is a light bullet for the AR unless you have a slow twist rate. A fast twist is 7:1 and a slow is 12:1. Should be stamp on your AR. I have a 8:1 and don't use bullets much lighter than 55gr. Light bullets and a fast rate kind a fly apart or you loose accuracy.
Old March 23, 2013, 08:50 PM   #3
RockingReloading

AR15 .223 Rounds

yes i am positive that they are .224
Old March 24, 2013, 01:51 AM   #4
higgite

What, if anything, have you done to the cases that you're trying to fit the bullets into? Are the cases new, fired, unknown? Have you full length sized them? Neck sized them? Not sized them at all? We need more info.
Old March 24, 2013, 02:46 AM   #5
A pause for the COZ

I have no experience loading that light of a bullet. But you may also consider your case necks.
The more times you re-size/ fire a piece of brass. The case necks get work hardened. They dont expand like they once did nor contract like they once did.

May be in need of annealing????

Old March 24, 2013, 12:43 PM   #6
A_Gamehog

I have the Nosler reloading manual 7th ed.

I load for the AR-15 also, Nowhere in that manual does it state "Crimp" this bullet. Unless you have a full auto M-16 don't.

By crimping this bullet in this instance you will deflect metal because it has no indentation area on this bullet.

Overkill for this application in my Opinion. It also increases pressure!
Old March 25, 2013, 07:03 AM   #7
stnosc

First of all, like a couple of others asked, did you resize your brass first?

Next, get yourself a reloading manual if you don't have one and read it. Would recommend the Nosler manual if you're loading Nosler bullets.

Sounds like your new at this. Please study, study, study before attempting to go further.