The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 14, 2013, 08:09 AM   #1
Cascade1911

Tumbler Media, When to replace?

When do you replace your corn cob media?
Truth be told I've probably run 20,000 or 30,000 cases through my current charge in about 7-10 years or so, I just keep adding a little more media and a cap full of Dillons polish every 10-15 uses or when the mood strikes me. The stuff is fairly black. Three hundred 45's (tarnished range pickup) in my Lyman turbo tumbler takes about 3-5 hours to get clean and shiny. My own brass, clean to start takes maybe 1-2 hours to get pretty again.
If I replace the media can I expect it to do much better? I guess I can try it and find out but that would be too easy .

(Edit: Yep, using dryer sheets thanks to whoever recommended 'em back 3-4 years ago......)

Last edited by Cascade1911; December 14, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old December 14, 2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Ozzieman

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...hlight=tumbler
You'll find some good suggestions here.
Put some used cut up dryer sheets in when you clean and it will last twice as long.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old December 14, 2013, 08:37 AM   #3
jwrowland77

Tumbler Media, When to replace?

I'll change mine once the media is really starting to look dingy. Normally though, I'll take a used dryer sheet or three, and throw them in the tumbler and let it run for a little. You'll be amazed at how well those dryer sheets can clean it up.

I've only been in reloading for going on two years. I've only needed to change the media twice. Mainly because for the first week or two after I got everything, and got it set up, I did nothing but run dirty brass while reading through the manual I had, the ABCs of reloading, and this forum.
Old December 14, 2013, 09:08 AM   #4
Cascade1911

Sorry, should have mentioned (thought I did ) Been using the dryer sheets for 3-4 years now....

I did read through various threads about tumbler media including the one you mentioned Ozzie. I see various people talking about how they replace after so long or how dryer sheets make the media cleaner etc. I guess my question is, what would prompt you to change the media? Going by my neighbors tumbler (got him set up on reloading recently) the media cleans better fresh out of the box but after about 4-6 uses it seems to settle down and work about the same as the stuff I'm using.

Last edited by Cascade1911; December 14, 2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old December 14, 2013, 09:38 AM   #5
Misssissippi Dave

I replace my media when it seems to take longer to clean the brass. Using additives will extend the time before it gets replaced since the additives are doing most of the work of cleaning. Also when it starts getting rather dark in color and the bowl is starting to get nasty it is time to clean the bowl and replace the media. The dryer sheets are one of the additives you can use to prolong the media life. Corncob media will continue to clean longer than many people would think. Normally I would not go beyond 20k pieces of brass but that doesn't take all that long to go through.

I have noticed since I no longer only shoot at an indoor range my media does need to be replaced more often. Shooting at an outdoor range results in more crude that needs to be removed prior to reloading.
Old December 14, 2013, 10:06 AM   #6
BigD_in_FL

When I spend more money on the electricity to run the tumbler than the media costs..............or when it stops cleaning quickly and thoroughly. Media is cheap, especially if you buy in bulk at the mega pet big box store
Old December 14, 2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Ozzieman

I use Mississippi Dave’s description, it’s a good one. When it starts taking a long time plus getting really dirty and a lot of dust it gets thrown out.
The one thing I have found is that every other load when I dump, I clean the container. HOT soapy water, you’ll be surprised at the amount of crap on the walls and lid.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old December 14, 2013, 11:42 AM   #8
Cascade1911

I guess thats about as good a description as it gets Ozzie, Dave. Don't know what else I could really expect. As far as
Quote:
When I spend more money on the electricity to run the tumbler than the media costs
In as much as I estimate it costs me somewhere between $0.03 and $0.05 an hour to run......

In any event I guess after 7-10 years the stuff "don't owe me nothin" and it's about time by anyones definition.
Old December 14, 2013, 06:11 PM   #9
BigD_in_FL

Lizard litter is cheap enough, just change it out when needed and do not worry about. If the extra few cents for media is an issue, you have the wrong hobby.
Old December 15, 2013, 06:56 AM   #10
Cascade1911

Quote:
If the extra few cents for media is an issue, you have the wrong hobby
Cost never entered into it my thoughts or indeed the original question here. The "when needed" was the question.

Quote:
just change it out when needed
^^^^^That was the question^^^^^^

I've only changed the media once since I started reloading back in 1989 or so and that was mainly because I was (please don't tell) using ........ Brasso! So some of the arguments against sounded reasonable and heck, had been running the stuff for fifteen years anyway so I changed it out.
All that said, their is probably no great answer beyond "when it is too dirty, takes too long" or ultimately then "you think its needed" which will probably be different for just about everyone.
Thanks to all.
Old December 15, 2013, 08:03 AM   #11
full case load

My first thought was, when the sharp edges are worn off it won't be cutting as quickly. I'm not sure if that would apply to media or how you would tell without magnifying each piece. I do know that when the bristle tips of a steel wire brush are rounded instead of square you end up with a lot more time and elbow grease. I don't keep good records of my brass cleaning times or quantity of brass so I kind of use the guess and by golly method. (Which does lean more into the objective than the subjective.)
Old December 16, 2013, 07:07 PM   #12
Ozzieman

I have tried several types of litter including lizard and hamster and they did clean well but the dust was NANSTY
I have had the best luck with Frankford media. Works well much less dust and for the price and the number of rounds I can clean its cheep.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/212...media-corn-cob

Old December 20, 2013, 12:03 PM   #13
JimDandy

My media lasts and lasts. Every once in a while I'll throw in another pin or two. But it's clean in almost nothing flat.
Old December 20, 2013, 01:48 PM   #14
Slamfire

I replace media when it looks dirtier than the tee shirt I am wearing.
Old December 21, 2013, 07:39 PM   #15
tobnpr

Quote:
I replace media when it looks dirtier than the tee shirt I am wearing.
Good one....

Also when the fine dust, dirt, and powder residue takes up more than a tiny portion of the bottom of the tumbler.
www.biggorillagunworks.com